Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Moving from UK to US with Recaro/Maclaren Young Profi Plus - ISOFIX vs. LATCH?

Hello,

We just moved back to the US after having baby #3 while living in the UK. We didn't have a car when we lived in London, so we didn't need a base for our Recaro/Maclaren Young Profi Plus car seat (which also attaches to the stroller/push chair).

Can anyone tell us what our options are for getting a base that will work with our car seat here in the US?

We have a Honda Accord and a Honda Pilot, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Moving from UK to US with Recaro/Maclaren Young Profi Plus - ISOFIX vs. LATCH?

You have two options. One, buy a base from the UK and have someone ship it to you. That seat isn't sold here. You'll be using the seat illegally after you've been here three months, though.

The other option is to buy a new seat. That will be legal.

ISOFIX and LATCH are pretty similar. They're interchangeable as far as I know when it comes to installations. I know some European seats are ISOFIX only seats, whereas all American seats are LATCH or seatbelt. So if yours is ISOFIX only I'd double check that it'll go in with LATCH as it should, otherwise you definitely need a new seat.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Fanatic

Re: Moving from UK to US with Recaro/Maclaren Young Profi Plus - ISOFIX vs. LATCH?

as wendy said, it's technically illegal to use that seat in the US. however, if you can get a base for it, it will snap into the lower anchors in your hondas, which are the same anchors and with the same spacing as ISOFIX, but are called lower LATCH anchors here. i believe the base to that seat also includes a front foot, which is nice as it prevents forward rotation of the seat.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

I just looked up your seat... it is useable without the base... though that is less convenient.

In fact, going on youtube, I found this video when I searched for the seat... and I bet this is the system you have.

it shows how to install the seat.

The only thing it leaves out (because it isn't an american seat) is locking the seatbelt... which, for honda cars, just means pulling the belt all the way and then pushing your hand into the seat (where baby's bum goes) and getting all the slack you can to retract... but that is pretty consistent with what they show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckopk...x=0&playnext=1
    (info on the carseat alone w/ regards to features and install begins at 6:36)

Also, even if you are a citizen, I'm pretty sure you would have some leeway (having been living abroad) with time to get a seat. I think, unless you really want a seat with a base, I'd probably go ahead and use the seat you have (because it does have a 5-point harness and such... heck... recaro was promising to get this carseat on the US market... don't know why they didn't) without the base for now... and save the spending for when baby needs a convertible seat to continue rearfacing (because here, they must be rearfacing until 1yr AND 20-22lbs (and sometimes 34") depending on the seat... and really SHOULD be rearfacing as long as may be (30-35lbs depending on the seat, or until the head gets to where the child is too tall)

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos