Question Moving from UK to US with Recaro/Maclaren Young Profi Plus - ISOFIX vs. LATCH?

U

Unregistered

Hello,

We just moved back to the US after having baby #3 while living in the UK. We didn't have a car when we lived in London, so we didn't need a base for our Recaro/Maclaren Young Profi Plus car seat (which also attaches to the stroller/push chair).

Can anyone tell us what our options are for getting a base that will work with our car seat here in the US?

We have a Honda Accord and a Honda Pilot, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You have two options. One, buy a base from the UK and have someone ship it to you. That seat isn't sold here. You'll be using the seat illegally after you've been here three months, though.

The other option is to buy a new seat. That will be legal.

ISOFIX and LATCH are pretty similar. They're interchangeable as far as I know when it comes to installations. I know some European seats are ISOFIX only seats, whereas all American seats are LATCH or seatbelt. So if yours is ISOFIX only I'd double check that it'll go in with LATCH as it should, otherwise you definitely need a new seat.

Wendy

southpawboston

as wendy said, it's technically illegal to use that seat in the US. however, if you can get a base for it, it will snap into the lower anchors in your hondas, which are the same anchors and with the same spacing as ISOFIX, but are called lower LATCH anchors here. i believe the base to that seat also includes a front foot, which is nice as it prevents forward rotation of the seat.

Kat_Momof3

I just looked up your seat... it is useable without the base... though that is less convenient.

In fact, going on youtube, I found this video when I searched for the seat... and I bet this is the system you have.

it shows how to install the seat.

The only thing it leaves out (because it isn't an american seat) is locking the seatbelt... which, for honda cars, just means pulling the belt all the way and then pushing your hand into the seat (where baby's bum goes) and getting all the slack you can to retract... but that is pretty consistent with what they show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkopkMNM_Bo&feature=PlayList&p=AD4EAC2F196C37D9&index=0&playnext=1
(info on the carseat alone w/ regards to features and install begins at 6:36)

Also, even if you are a citizen, I'm pretty sure you would have some leeway (having been living abroad) with time to get a seat. I think, unless you really want a seat with a base, I'd probably go ahead and use the seat you have (because it does have a 5-point harness and such... heck... recaro was promising to get this carseat on the US market... don't know why they didn't) without the base for now... and save the spending for when baby needs a convertible seat to continue rearfacing (because here, they must be rearfacing until 1yr AND 20-22lbs (and sometimes 34") depending on the seat... and really SHOULD be rearfacing as long as may be (30-35lbs depending on the seat, or until the head gets to where the child is too tall)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC