I have a question about car seat checks too!

MustangMama

My brother is going to car seat check in a couple weeks. He has no money to spend so is definitely looking for help with a seat.

His DD is almost 4 and is autistic, she can't talk. My brother said that she often unbuckles her seat belt while they are driving so he put her back in her harnessed seat. Problem is, she weighs 48lbs and is too large for the harness but she can't sit with just a seat belt due to her disability she will undo the buckle.

Is there any way they can help my brother fund a new seat for his daughter?

Do they make special needs seats?

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They do. However they are wicked expensive and for an autistic kid without other problems, a regular HWH may do fine until she doesn't fit, that is usually the preference if possible. They probably won't have any HWH on hand (usually don't) but they may be able to help him find an agency who can help them obtain one.

You might find out if anyone in the area is special-needs certified, they might have more of a line on who to contact in regards for this.

bethng

At our seat checks we have GN's available for special situations. So you never know.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
There are special needs seats, some of which are made specifically for children with issues like your niece.

They may or may not have an appropriate restraint at the seat check your brother goes to. If not, hopefully they can put him in touch with someone who can assist him. He might also want to see if he's eligible for a HWH seat from kyledavidmiller.org.

MustangMama

There are special needs seats, some of which are made specifically for children with issues like your niece.

They may or may not have an appropriate restraint at the seat check your brother goes to. If not, hopefully they can put him in touch with someone who can assist him. He might also want to see if he's eligible for a HWH seat from kyledavidmiller.org.

He already applied at KDM and they asked him for proof of financial assistance and he doesn't recieve any......:confused:

BW1426

He already applied at KDM and they asked him for proof of financial assistance and he doesn't recieve any......:confused:

Does he qualify for financial assistance? If he does, could he apply for food stamps or something of that nature and use the money he saves by having those to buy her a nautilus?

I've worked 3 different areas and none of them had HWH available :( Hopefully, your brother will get lucky and they'll have one, but I would be thinking of a back up plan at the same time.

MustangMama

Does he qualify for financial assistance? If he does, could he apply for food stamps or something of that nature and use the money he saves by having those to buy her a nautilus?

I've worked 3 different areas and none of them had HWH available :( Hopefully, your brother will get lucky and they'll have one, but I would be thinking of a back up plan at the same time.

Yeah my family is considering throwing together some money to help him if nobody else can.

He has applied many times for state help (he is a single father, the mom ran off when she was 2 months old) and they always tell him he makes too much money.

I could give him my Nautilus but DD isn't quite ready to be fulltime in a booster yet. :thumbsdown:

He has another child that he pays child support on and also has medical bills backed up from dislocating his shoulder numerous times. That is why he can't afford it.

Pixels

I don't know that a Nautilus is the best option. It tends to be easy for kids to undo themselves.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC