RAV4 or CRV

MGHMom

We're looking for a new car and leaning towards a smaller SUV or a crossover. We only have one baby right now so I don't feel ready for a minivan yet. DS is rear facing in a Marathon right now. At some point we'll probably need this new car to fit an infant seat as well. At least until we make the inevitable switch to a minivan. Two SUVs that we like are the RAV4 and the CR-V. Any thoughts on these 2 vehicles? Pros/Cons? Any other vehicles like this that you would recommend instead? As far as crossovers go, I like the looks of the Ford Freestyle but I hesitate to go back to the reliability issues of a domestic car. Anyone have any first hand experience with the Freestyle? Any other crossover recommendations? We're still in the research phase right now so I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can to narrow things down before we go to look & test drive. We need to stay under $30k (under $28k would be even better!), so I'm looking for the most safety bang for our buck.

TIA!
Renee

ADS

Lilsid

Have you checked out the Mazda 5? It’s a cute little micro mini van/ SUV. It seats 6 and has side curtain air bags in all 3 rows. We test drove them and I really liked it. It may solve your problem with having to buy a new car again in the future. It has tether spots in all 4-rear seats and the seats fold flat if you need the space. It drove like a car and it got great gas mileage. They start at like $18K for a base model.

I liked the way the middle captains chairs move back and forth to give more room where needed, like a rear facing car seat. I also liked that the sliding doors have windows that go up and down.

Just an idea.

Ali

We have a 2001 Honda CRV. We have had a Snugride installed in the center of the rear seat. We currently have a RF MA (tethered) in the center. We can fit a Snugride with base on either side of the MA.

We love our CRV!

MGHMom

Thank you for the replies! We have talked about the Mazda 5. I like the idea of it, I just can't decide if I like the looks of it. Shallow, I know. I haven't actually seen one in person though, just online. I'll add it to the list to make sure we check it out in person. Encouraged to hear that you can fit a Snugride next to a MA in the CR-V since those are the exact 2 carseats we'd be putting in there! Thanks again for the help!

Renee

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Also, try www.suvsafety.info . One nice thing for the CR-V is that all the essential safety features are standard. They can be hard to find on many small cars and SUVs, because they are in rare option packages or not available at all on the most popular trim levels.

lovinwaves

Renee, you can't go wrong with either the CRV or RAV. I would definitely steer away from the domestic. (my opinion). I have had Honda's, Toyota's, and Lexus's. They all are the leader on safety, reliability, and owner satisfaction. I know you mentioned a Minivan. I thought I would never own a minivan,but......you have to go drive a Honda Odyssey. We just bought one and LOVE IT. It's engineering is based off of the BMW roadstar, it feels like driving a sports car. and By the way We only paid $29,000. And that is for the EX-L which is only a step down from their Highest Model. I have everything I could ever want on it. It is extremely luxurious, clean, and Sharp looking. I get soooo many compliments. Also you could get into an Ody for much cheaper than that if you wanted. The ODy has a special feature called Valve shut off, so you get extremely good Gas mileage. The best Mileage in fact of any other minivan on the market.

I feel much safer driving my minivan than any smaller suv. Our Van weighs OVER 4000 pounds. INCREDIBLE!!!!!

solmama

We have a 1999 Honda CR-V and love it. It's a durable little car and gets pretty decent gas mileage. The newer models have a wider back seat (2003+). The RAV 4 has recently undergone a complete redesign...the older ones tended to have a lot of engine whine at high speeds. You may also want to look into the Subaru Forester or Legacy Outback. Subarus are very reliable and safe vehicles as well. The Subarus also come with more bells and whistles (like heated front seats and compasses) for the same price as a Honda or Toyota. Happy shopping!

T

tutu

Honda CR-V

We have an '03 Honda CR-V, and love it. It's the one the grandchildren ride in. One thing I don't like, though, as far as car seats go, is that the back seat is split, which creates an offset center position. This means that the reclining back of a RF seat in the center can't fit nicely in the space between the two front seats. One of the front seats has to be moved very far forward in order to use our Radians RF. The Radian is worse than many for taking up space RF, but this would be a problem in our CR-V for many carseats used RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC