Carseat for 5 year old on flight

my2kidsSafe

We might be going to disney in may. If we go dd would be 5 in april and ds is 2. I would definately be bringing a carseat for ds to have during the flight. My debate is for dd. We will be using disney transportation and not leaving disney so she wouldn't be able to use a seat on the way to and from the park. She currently rides in a regent so that is a no go option for the flight since its not approved. She is now 42 lbs, but had heart surgery in april and put on about 4 lbs since then so i am guessing she will be around 45 lbs at the time of the trip. Would you be comfortable with a 45 lb, 5 year old not using a harnessed seat on the plane. We have a MA for ds, and debating if we should buy a new seat just for the flight.

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I would not take a carseat for your 5 year old. As long as she is fairly mature, she will be fine on the plane.

NVMBR02

I also wouldn't take a seat for your 5 year old. Once my 5 year old weighs enough to use a booster (I have no doubt she would sit in one fine now) I am buying a booster seat and leaving it in CA and will stop using her Radian on flights.

Pixels

What about to/from the airport? Sorry I don't know if Disney transportation does that too, or if you would be in a taxi or something.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Disney transportation is a huge commuter bus... no seatbelts (ie. no carseats either).

We leave for Disney in 18 days and I am not taking a seat for our 6.5 year old (40lbs).

teacher01

Sorry to hijack this thread, but would the same go for a 34 lb 40 inch 4 year old? I am debating whether or not to take his seat with us to Winter Park. We will be on a charter bus to and from the airport.

Maedze

Sorry to hijack this thread, but would the same go for a 34 lb 40 inch 4 year old? I am debating whether or not to take his seat with us to Winter Park. We will be on a charter bus to and from the airport.

For a 34 pound 4 year old, I would prefer to see him in a harnessed seat (or a CARES harness) on the plane, simply because those big airline belts just don't fit little folk well.

OP, I wouldn't hesitate to go sans car seat with your five year old.

theshapeshifter

I wouldn't take a seat either. I flew by myself with 2 kids and didn't take a seat for my third son and he fit fine. He was almost 3, 38 lbs and 38 inches tall.

Here is a picture how the seat belt fit. Sorry the pictures are big, at the time I didn't know how to make them smaller! lol :eek:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=17132&highlight=benjamin+plane

Sorry to hijack, but thanks for that info! We're in the early-early stages of talking about a trip for summer 2010, where we wouldn't be doing any car travel, and when my DS will have just turned 3. If he follows his current growth pattern, he should be about 38-40lbs and 41-42" tall by then (too tall for a CARES harness, apparently?) and I was wondering how he might fit in just a plane seatbelt.

mommaon112903

We went to Disney last month with our son who just turned five, we too stayed on Disney property and did not take a carseat. We saw absolutly no reason to when you can not use it on the buses, and that is where I would have wanted it. He did GREAT on the plane! Have fun!

Maedze

Sorry to hijack, but thanks for that info! We're in the early-early stages of talking about a trip for summer 2010, where we wouldn't be doing any car travel, and when my DS will have just turned 3. If he follows his current growth pattern, he should be about 38-40lbs and 41-42" tall by then (too tall for a CARES harness, apparently?) and I was wondering how he might fit in just a plane seatbelt.

Badly ;)

Plus, you'll find that he'll be near impossible to manage. You'll find the flight much easier, safety not even considered, if he's harnessed as he's accustomed to being.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC