Average number of seats you bought per year.....

What is the average number of seats you bought (or had given to you) per year?....

• about 1 a year

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • about 1 a year

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • about 2 a year

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • about 2 1/2 a year

• about 3 a year

• about 3 1/2 a year

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • about 4 a year

• about 4 1/2 a year

• about 5 a year

• more than 5 a year

• Total voters

emandbri

I thought I'd do a poll. I know there are some who have had more seats then I have. ;) For the sake of this poll count only seats you used. If you bought a seat, tried it, and then returned it, don't count it. I'm counting seats my MIL got from friends and garage sales but only if I used them. For a while she just kept getting them after I told her it was unsafe to use them and those got destroyed. Don't count seats that you borrowed.

Basically number of seats you have had divided by the number of years you have had kids.

I have had 34 seats divided by 12 which comes out to 2.8 a year. I really have gotten better! I'm not buying nearly as many as I have in the past. :whistle:

ADS

LuvBug

well let's see... he had a graco snugride, an EBdesigner 22, a marathon, a husky, a laptop, a regent, and a parkway and he is 5.5yo tomorrow. So that is... 1.27 a year. Not bad, considering 3 of those were for a second vehicle.

Pixels

I said 2/year, but DD is less than 1 yo and has 4 seats. BUT we bought her first seat when I was about 8-10 weeks pregnant. We knew I was pg and would need a seat, and had baby nephew fly in to visit, so I told SIL that we would buy our bucket a bit early, and that way she didn't have to bring his.

Are we counting bases for buckets as separate seats? Because that would change the number a bit... but we have one bucket (with two bases) and 3 convertables. Err will have 3 convertibles shortly, I need to return one RN65 and get the RNXT when it comes out. We have the one RN65 that we are keeping, and a CS that we got for free from the insurance company just because DD was born and added to the insurance. We are currently using all of the seats (but not one of the bases). RN in my car, bucket in DH's for now, and CS in my brother's car or as a backup/spare for our cars.

I don't expect to buy/receive any more seats for a long, long time. The RNs will expire before DD outgrows them at her current rate, and I won't buy her anything else for our vehicles until that happens. Maybe a booster once she starts school, for friends' cars or for friends in our car.

Lea_Ontario

Snugride
some Century seat (given to us, but never used)​

Regal Ride​

FP seat
Generations​

Marathon
Intera
Safe Seat​

Radian
Radian​

Parkway​

I think I've got them all there - so 10 seats used over 6.5 years (but for 3 kids !)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I lost count of how many seats I've had probably 3 years ago (shoulda put them in an excel spreadsheet, maybe? lol)... well over 40 by now, I guess, for three kids in 11 years so...um... I just put 5+ per year, lol. I started slowly, though, built to a couple of high points, and have slowed down a lot lately (my goodness, no new seat since 5/08? Wow, that's just crazy!)

momto2princes

6 seats over 6 years for 2 children = 1 seat per year to date. Mind you I am going to be buying at least 1 new seat possibly 2 later this year!

AlmostFive

Over 6 years 3 kids - 10 seats; snugride, 2 x Triumph V, Cargo, Nautilus, SS1, 3x turboboosters, FPSV booster. By this summer, that will probably be up to 14 since I need to buy a TF and a travel seat (scenera or avenue) for dd#3 and two boosters for my parent's car in Ireland for when we visit (probably Britax Evolva 2-3)

monstah

Snugride : Eddie Bauer AOE : Regent : Nautilus : Radian : Boulevard : Scenera

My oldest just turned 3. So, 2.333333 car seats per year.
(Plus, we have a Keyfit 30 and a RadianXT in our very near future.)

There should be a warning on the homepage that this site can get expensive.

Lea_Ontario

I lost count of how many seats I've had probably 3 years ago (shoulda put them in an excel spreadsheet, maybe? lol)... well over 40 by now, I guess, for three kids in 11 years so...um... I just put 5+ per year, lol. I started slowly, though, built to a couple of high points, and have slowed down a lot lately (my goodness, no new seat since 5/08? Wow, that's just crazy!)

Uh, Julie - could I borrow your carseat budget, just for a few months ? Please. :love:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I put 2.5 a yr, I think that's about right. 4 infant seats, 8 convertibles, 4 combo seats, and a booster. Add the 2 Radians I'm about to buy and I think we're closer to 3 a year. Most of that was b/c of AJ, I didn't have a clue then, plus we have had to replace 4 seats b/c of crashes.

MustangMama

I did the more than 5 a year option.

Since DD was born, she has had 20 seats!!! :eek:

My mom ran an in home daycare so I often traded for her good ones.

Once I found the ones I liked though, things slowed down.

It starting slowing down with her Evenflo Orion, loved that thing! :love:

Then we went to Graco CarGos.........loved those as well.

Now we have a Nautilus and I want another one ;)

I see it as trial and error. I learned a lot from all the seats we bought and traded for. I learned what to look for in a seat and what NOT to look for in a seat. I learned what seats were truly quality seats and which ones were a pain in my @#$.

Since she was 3, we learned what we liked/needed so it slowed down since then. But I swear she had a million different infant seats and we ended up with the Graco SnugRide :thumbsup:

munchkin

I've had 12 that I have used in the last almost 4 years with Mya (14 months for E), so 3 per year (though I only had 2 for the first 2.5 years of Mya's life). Now if you want to talk covers that is a whole different story! 9.25 :cool:

I should update this! (I know less than a month later) Seats know at average of 4 per year and covers 12.25 :eek:.

Last edited:

NannyMom

Only counting seats since I had my daughter (not seats from being a nanny before).

Including the seats for my vehicle for my current nanny kids.... 17 seats, divided by 2 years. 8.5 seats per year. If I count the extra SS1 base, that's 18 seats, and 9 per year :eek:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I only counted seats we have owned that we actually used on a regular bases. I didn't count the demo seats or ones I bought and then returned/sold due to varies reasons.

Of the 23 seats in 7yrs that puts me at 3.5 per year. As soon as the new Oobr is released we will be adding another to our stable.

I have bought too many this past year, but half were sold. Trying to find the perfect seats for my van was hard. LOL.

I think I just need to buy one more seat and then I am done for a LONG time. (hopefully).

TXAggieTech

This is pretty much me, but I have an Excel sheet that I keep track of them in. I have ~50 seats that are on it but DS2 only uses: Recaro, Regent, Radian, Marathon, Laptop (2/expired) and DS1 has a High Rider & Jane.

Most of the rest are out with people we know somehow, a few that I keep spares to hand out or for sale. And I don't keep track of Scenera so that would bump the total up considerably.

I'd say I buy about 20 a year.

ElaynesMom

1.3 for us. My dd is almost 18 months and so far we've had an Evenflo Embrace, and now she's in an Eddie Bauer 3in1. Good thing I found this place so I can stop buying such crummy seats ;)

I'll likely be purchasing a new seat this spring/summer (I'm in Canada, so one that rf to 35 lbs). :)

April

I've bought six in the past 13 months, and plan on buying two more this month. Hard to figure out an average though because it was only for Riley and then we combined families so all of a sudden I went from one child to four. So I don't know what my average is, but apparently about 6 a year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC