Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Unhappy when is to big for rear facing carseat

When is to big fro a rear facing carseat. my son is 6 months, almost 20 lbs, and seems so scrunched rear facing. What do I do?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

The longer, the better...

The absolute minimum to turn a child front-facing is that they must be BOTH 12 months old AND at least 20 pounds. If they are under either of those limits, they are at great risk for spinal cord and other injuries in a crash. Your son really needs to stay rear facing for at least 6 months more, preferably longer.

It is safest to keep them rear-facing as long as possible, and that means up to 30-35 pounds for most carseats. My daughter is 30 months old and 30 pounds. She is still rear-facing in one of our vehicles but just about to turn front-facing.

Also see:

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    Your son may seem "squished" because of the seat he's riding in. Have you purchased a convertible seat, or are you still using an infant carrier? Most infant carriers can only be used to 20 or 22 lb, so your son has reached the limit for that type of seat. Most convertible seats are certified for 30-35 lb when used rear facing. This is the type of seat your son should be using now. It really is critical that he stay rear facing until he is at least one year old, and longer is safer! (See http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/extendedrf.aspx for more.)

If you need help choosing a convertible seat, you can view my top choices here. http://www.car-safety.org/carseats.html

Like Darren, I'm a firm believer in extended rear facing. My I just turned my 35 month old daughter front facing. She weighs 33 lb and is approximately 39" tall.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!