Question infant car seat + base + inclination

dalitp

hi, i am looking for an infant car seat (rear facing) that comes with a base (like the maxi cosi mico), and multiple recline positions, that the baby is able to lie down. i had the mutsy traveller with my first child, that was a very good in terms of back-positions, but it doesn't have a base..
any suggestions? thank you.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Are you in the U.S. or the U.K.? (Or somewhere else?) Just checking because the Mutsy Traveler isn't a U.S. seat. Our recommendations will be different based on where you live. :)

Pixels

In the US, we don't lay babies down flat unless it is medically necessary. It is safer for them to be reclined (slightly upright) in case of a crash.

Most infant carriers come with a base. What vehicle is this for? It will help others to make recommendations.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The only seats that lay down here are special needs seats for babies unable to use a regular infant seat, they are a last resort and only go to about 9# (4kg). You would be need to be using an US seat if you are here permanantly. There are plenty of good ones out there. How big was your last baby?

dalitp

1. we are not staying here permanantly, we are moving back to europe when the baby will be 4 months old.
2. my older son was born 8 pounds.
3. we have ford explorer.
4. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR LAYING THE BABY IN 180^, BUT I DON'T LIKE THE 45^, THEREFOR I AM LOOKING FOR A CHAIR WITH 2-3 (OR MORE) BACK POSITIONS FOR THE DIFFERENT GROWING STAGES: NEWBORN, 6 MONTHS...
THANKS AGAIN

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, but the 45 needs to be used in the car. More than that and it would cause problems in an accident. If you want to lay the baby flat for things other than the car, then you can get a stroller with a bassinet attachment (love my bassinets). Or you can use a stroller with a newborn recline. I don't use my car seat as a travel system that often because I prefer my baby to lie flat.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The seats here don't have backs that change position, we use the base on the infant seats to change positions. 45 degree for a nb and then up to 30 for an older child, but most just keep it at 45 the entire time when using an infant seat.

Since you're not here permanantly, you can either buy a seat here and take it back w/ you to keep using or you can have a friend or someone ship you a seat from Europe. I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

My top 2 picks are the Chicco Keyfit and the Graco Safeseat 1 or Snugride 32. I had the Safeseat last time and will have it again this time as well. It has a base and can be used till 30# and about 32". Ilana could've stayed till at least 18 mos in it, but we moved her at 16 mos to a bigger rear facing seat.

Pixels

Technically, you have to have a US seat when you are in the US, and a European seat once you move there. It is ok to bring your own seats with you from another country when you are on vacation, but not when you are living long-term.

I would just buy one seat though, and use it technically illegally, myself.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
If she's not a resident though and can prove she's not living here long term, she wouldn't legally have to have an US seat would she? That's what I've always been told/read/assumed whatever.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I haven't gotten to play w/ it much, but it seems fairly nice. It's very deep which I like and the colors are fabulous, lol! It's made by the Dorel Juvenile group so it's not too much different I don't think from their other seats, but I LOVE the colors. I mentioned that already. ;) What kinds of things are important to you besides it having a base? Are you interested in using it as long as possible? Nice padding? Making it fit w/ a certain stroller?

dalitp

i am only interested in using it for 12 months. I may use it with a stroller, I'm not sure yet.. other than that it has to be safe. by the way, i think the maxi-cosi's base has more than one back position, am i right? other bases with back posiyions?

Pixels

Most if not all bases can be adjusted. They are designed that way so that you can get the proper recline in your vehicle, since different vehicles have different slope to the seats.

Many many kids outgrow their seats long before 12 months. I'm sure the SnugRide 32 and the Keyfit 30 will be recommended to try to get you closer to 12 months, but there are no guarantees ;)

If you want to wait to decide about a stroller, one option would be to get a Snap N Go. It is basically just a frame, and you put the carseat into it. I think it is compatible with most (all?) infant carriers, so would leave your options pretty open. But once baby outgrows the infant carriers, you don't have a stroller any more either.

Kat_Momof3

what do you think of the maxi-cosi mico?

it's a good infant seat... harder to use than some (the chicco keyfit for instance)

almost all infant seats have adjustable height bases, which are to level it when the vehicle seat is slanted (as opposed to a flat vehicle seat)

still, you are not to recline past 45*

I looked up the Mutsy seat you referred to on Mutsy's UK site... and it didn't say, but I wonder if the flat position is only for OUT of the car... not IN the car.

I emailed a seller on uk ebay to find out for sure, since it won't let me view the manual unless I own the product on mutsy's website.

dalitp

in europe the flat (175^) position is recomended for infants (in and out yhe car) as long as they are unable to seat by themselves. then you can change the back to a higher position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC