TF tips backward when I tighten harness

rodentranger

I got to test my TF with my 12 mo old 17 lb nephew yesterday!
When we tightened the harness straps, it pulled the front of the car seat up and ended up with him pretty much lying nearly flat! That is so obviously not going to work!
When I installed it, I checked for movement at the beltpath and had less than 1/2".
I am installing it in the center 2nd row position of a 2003 Honda Pilot, so I can only use the seatbelt.
I do get a better installation with the LATCH in the outboard passenger seat, but if I move the TF there for baby, DS will have to be turned FF (he's ~30 lbs, +/-2). I can't reach over a center rf MA to the TF and baby shouldn't go straight into the MA. I can't fit the MA rf behind the driver's seat and I can't reach a rf TF behind the driver's seat.

ADS

Pixels

Are you sure that there was less than one inch of movement in any direction at the belt path?

Do you have a 33 pound MA or a 35 pound one? If T is 30+-2 pounds naked, then you add diaper and clothes and shoes, he's probably over 33 pounds at least on his heavier days. It might be time to turn him anyway.

Why do you need to be able to reach baby while you're driving?

Maedze

That's generally a sign of a not-quite-tight-enough install. Did you get less than an inch of movement side to side AND back and forth?

rodentranger

Are you sure that there was less than one inch of movement in any direction at the belt path?

Do you have a 33 pound MA or a 35 pound one? If T is 30+-2 pounds naked, then you add diaper and clothes and shoes, he's probably over 33 pounds at least on his heavier days. It might be time to turn him anyway.

Why do you need to be able to reach baby while you're driving?
I'm reasonably sure there wasn't movement in any direction, but it's possible that the MA is providing false stabilization. I had reclined the seatback to install it then moved the seatback back fully upright to tighten it a bit.
I (feel the) need to be able to reach the baby from the driver's seat to be able to soothe at stoplights if I need to. T was a very fussy guy in the car and I often had to stick the bunky back in his mouth at stoplights.
My MA is a 33 lb one. T is 30 +-2 fully clothed, shoe'd and fed.
That's generally a sign of a not-quite-tight-enough install. Did you get less than an inch of movement side to side AND back and forth?
I thought I did, but it would appear that I need to go back out and try again again.
Ditto. Is the seatbelt locked? Are you using the lockoffs?
Yes to both. Don't you *have* to use the lockoffs on TF? I could probably get it tighter if I didn't have to use their lockoffs.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The TF may be incompatible with your vehicle.

Check your install again to make sure it was indeed tight enough, if it's still pulling out then I would say it's incompatible.

... and yes, I've had a perfectly installed True Fit pull out like this in a vehicle before, so I know it's possible.

If it is incompatible, the Radian installs well in the Pilot and works great for a newborn baby. :)

Citrine

Why can't you put your MA behind the driver seat? I have a britax wizard and it is rock solid rf using LATCH in a 06 pilot. My husband who is 5ft 11in can put the seat where he wants it. Is it because you are tall? or need to get to the third row?

olivia 4.26.04 45in 40lb regent/gn
makayla 9.16.06 30in 27lb rf wizard

rodentranger

Why can't you put your MA behind the driver seat? I have a britax wizard and it is rock solid rf using LATCH in a 06 pilot. My husband who is 5ft 11in can put the seat where he wants it. Is it because you are tall? or need to get to the third row?

olivia 4.26.04 45in 40lb regent/gn
makayla 9.16.06 30in 27lb rf wizard
It made the driver's seat too upright for DH or I to be comfortable (especially me right now with my big ol' preggo belly;))
The TF may be incompatible with your vehicle.

Check your install again to make sure it was indeed tight enough, if it's still pulling out then I would say it's incompatible.

... and yes, I've had a perfectly installed True Fit pull out like this in a vehicle before, so I know it's possible.

If it is incompatible, the Radian installs well in the Pilot and works great for a newborn baby. :)

I went out and uninstalled the MA to reinstall the TF. My neighbor probably thinks I'm nuts. Without the MA in the way, I was able to get the TF in MUCH tighter. Then I reinstalled the MA.
I actually have a RN and hate it. With a passion. DS screams every time I put him in it too. But not the MA. :confused: I can't get a good installation with it ff in my Pilot either. I don't know of he'd be more tolerant of it ff. I just fought with it for an hour to get it installed ff in DH's car. I told him that if he takes it out, I'm going to have to hurt him. His car has forward of the bight belts, loooong female stalks, and a ridiculously narrow center seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC