Importing a Primo Viaggio?

erinnicolevan

Can I use a Primo Viaggio infant seat, here in California, that is sold in Europe? And, if so, about how much does it cost to import? I got an email from one store who said they would ship to the US, but they gave me the EUR amount (TOTAL: 189,92 EUR) and I have no clue what that would be in US dollars?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
is there some reason you dont just use a US primo viaggio??
But no, you can not import a seat from another country legally...there is a process if you have a medical excuse, but it is really tough.

Maedze

No, it is illegal to use a seat that is not FMVSS approved for use in the US.

What specifically are you looking for that you feel this foreign seat could provide? If you tell us what you need, maybe we can steer you in the direction of a good (and legal!) US seat :)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Child restraints used in the U.S. must carry the FVMSS 213 sticker, which no European seat will have. So no, you can't legally use an infant seat manufactured for use in Europe.

What in particular is it about this seat that appeals to you? Perhaps we can help you find one with similar features that is legal to use in the U.S. :thumbsup:

Lara

The only real difference between the US and European Primo Viaggios is the handle position in the car (euro seats, handle must be rotated towards the back seat, has to be back behind the seat on us models), ISOFIX base, lack of chest clip on euro seats, and the shoulder belt can be routed behind the seat when installing it with the seatbelt on the euro models. Really, nothing that would make me want to spend extra $$ importing one. (and yeah, i was bored one night with my friend so we researched the differences between them. we're such geeks :p)

erinnicolevan

LOL...I only want it for the pretty Camelia fabric. I was going to get the Chicco Bella, but am not sure it will be available before my new DD is born, so to me, my only other option will be the Primo Viaggio Simply Black, but I am not crazy for that, either. No reason, other than wanting a classy, feminine cover. Now, really wish I hadn't sold my Rose PV last summer. Thanks for the info! :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Perhaps you could buy the cover from a European retailer -- it would certainly be cheaper to ship and would be legal to use on a US-made seat.

erinnicolevan

Are these European seats not safe to use here? Or they just don't have that special sticker? What happens if you use one? How would anyone know?? Not saying I will do this, but now my curiosity is piqued.

keenjay

Chances are no one would know. I suppose (in some states at least) a police officer could check if they doubted it was a certified seat, but I doubt most could identify a foreign seat or would even care that much. Getting it here could be an issue, because the contents of the package have to be declared, and they do have the right to destroy items (with no compensation) entering into the US which do not meet US regulations. I have never heard of an issue with carseats, but I am certainly no expert on this. As far as I know, carseats are not a red flag issue (the way foods, medicines, etc are), so most likely no one is going to hassle with it at the border.

And, yes, it is mainly about the sticker. Most European seats would probably pass US testing standards (although some might not). But until they are tested, there is no real way of officially saying they would. There could be some minor differences which might cause some seats to fail, not to mention that the differences that exist might cause some parents to misuse them, because they are not going to read the manual well wnough to realize it needs a slightly different install than the US car seat they are used to. (I assume anyone willing to import a seat would care enough about car seats to check, but you never know.)

erinnicolevan

Thanks for the info - I greatly appreciate it! How heartbreaking it would be to have the carseat destroyed at the border, though...LOL!

keenjay

I was thinking about this more later on, and I am pretty sure they would not destroy the seat, because the seat is not actually illegal. It is not illegal to own imported seats, so shipping them is legal. In fact, (someone correct me if I am wrong) I do not think it is even really illegal to use imported seats, in the sense that the laws do not say what seat you may not use. The laws only specify that you must use an approved car seat for a child under a certain age/weight. So if your child is required to be in a seat, and yours is not approved, then you are not following that law. However, if the law requires children under 4 to be in an approved seat, and does not specify anything for older children, I would think you could perfectly legally use an imported seat for a child over 4. I do not think the laws say anything forbidding the use of these seats. Does any one know more on this?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I was thinking about this more later on, and I am pretty sure they would not destroy the seat, because the seat is not actually illegal. It is not illegal to own imported seats, so shipping them is legal. In fact, (someone correct me if I am wrong) I do not think it is even really illegal to use imported seats, in the sense that the laws do not say what seat you may not use. The laws only specify that you must use an approved car seat for a child under a certain age/weight. So if your child is required to be in a seat, and yours is not approved, then you are not following that law. However, if the law requires children under 4 to be in an approved seat, and does not specify anything for older children, I would think you could perfectly legally use an imported seat for a child over 4. I do not think the laws say anything forbidding the use of these seats. Does any one know more on this?

While federal regulations determine what seats can be sold in the US, I don't know that there is actually a federal law that requires only those seats to be used. (I would imagine not, since the federal government tends to remain silent on specific seat belt laws and whatnot.)

However, state law might very well prohibit the use of foreign seats. California law specifically states that the restraint needs to meet current federal standards. Illinois requires an "appropriate" restraint, which could be argued to mean the same thing. Even Texas, which has one of the worst child restraint laws, requires seats to conform to federal standards. Obviously, I don't know the details of the law in each state.

Now, you raise an interesting point about using foreign seats once a child is no longer covered by the child restraint law. In Texas, where (if I understand correctly), kids can legally be out of a child restraint at 36", could a parent then import a Swedish seat and use it RF for the child beyond 36 inches, and would that be considered legal in Texas? I suppose one could make that argument.

I'm interested in other thoughts on the matter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC