Ford Freestyle - bench or captains chairs?

monstah

I'm looking at a 2006 Ford Freestyle (the SUV) that has a 2nd row bench seat -or- a 2005 with 2nd row captains chairs.
Identical pricing.

What would be best for three kids? All will be in car seats for some time. But the 3 year old will likely have to be in a booster before he is 5.

ADS

ajay

I have an '07 Freestyle with the bench seat across the middle. I could not LOVE this car more, except that with 3 small kids, it is impossible to use the back row. Meaning, if you have two carseats that need to be stationary, you will not be able to get to the back row unless you either want to climb over the middle of the bench or climb in through the back hatch.

For this reason, my husband is taking it (because seriously, it is the best car ever and we can't part with it!) and I am getting a minivan again. (sigh)

jessclear

My friend has a Freestyle with the bench seat and I have put DD in the rear row several times for play dates. We usually just load from the rear, which is really easy in that car. I can install DD's seat RF or FF from the back and then load DD in with no problem. I also remember looking to see if I thought 3 across would fit in the 2nd row. I didn't actually try it, but it looked possible with the right seats.

I would probably pick the bench seat, but I have never actually owned the car. I really like my friend's, though.

ajay

I should have clarified... I'm sure you could get 3 across in the bench seat. Our personal situation involves two stationary carseats and a booster. With the two seats installed, it is hard to buckle the booster without scraping your knuckles. Either way, I'm sure you'll be thrilled with your choice! :)

monstah

Could I do this...

RF seat in the second row with two car seats in the third row (one RF, one FF) and keep part of the bench folded down, to get back there easy?

I know there is only one top tether anchor in the third row. I wish there were 2. That would make this real easy.

ajay

I think you could do that just fine. The back row isn't as spacious as a minivan, but I think it's definitely do able. You might even be able to remove that seat that you would keep folded up for easier access, but I'm not sure. It is very easy to fold and unfold, though.

Mattypies

I have the 2005 Limited with bench seat. Best car ever! First car I have ever owned that I want to keep past 3 years.

I have installed many car seats with ease but my kids are now 7 and 10. I love my bench because I feel like I have a car again and not a minivan. I love that the second row has foot wells and things don't roll all the way to the front and back, keeps things contained. Anyway, I do think that I would go with the captains chairs if I had kids in car seats rather than boosters. I keep a clek in the fold down portion of the middle row so that the kids can easily still flip the seat and gain access to the 3rd row. Third row does fit car seat great and the middle row is doable with three across but I would not want to do it every day. My son is borderline on having to use a booster in the middle row outboard seat and fits fabulously in the third row and middle of second row bench.

It really feels more like a European car then a domestic. I can't say enough good things about this car.

Heather

monstah

I have the 2005 Limited with bench seat. Best car ever! First car I have ever owned that I want to keep past 3 years.

I have installed many car seats with ease but my kids are now 7 and 10. I love my bench because I feel like I have a car again and not a minivan. I love that the second row has foot wells and things don't roll all the way to the front and back, keeps things contained. Anyway, I do think that I would go with the captains chairs if I had kids in car seats rather than boosters. I keep a clek in the fold down portion of the middle row so that the kids can easily still flip the seat and gain access to the 3rd row. Third row does fit car seat great and the middle row is doable with three across but I would not want to do it every day. My son is borderline on having to use a booster in the middle row outboard seat and fits fabulously in the third row and middle of second row bench.

It really feels more like a European car then a domestic. I can't say enough good things about this car.

Heather

Thanks for the input!

I have a DS who could be in a booster in about 1 year or so, depending on how fast he grows.
I have a DD who will be in a car seat for atleast another 3-4 years, and a new baby due in June.

At first I was thinking the bench would be best because I could do 3 in a row, but now I'm thinking that it looks like I could take that center console out of the second row if I get the captains chairs, and just have one of them get to the third row that way. Or even take out / fold away one captains chair and have two kids in the third row until their seats make another configuration more convienient.

Either way, I can't wait to get our tax return. DH has given me the big go ahead to get any car I want, as long as I keep it under $14,000. And I am finding Limited's with DVD, etc, for under $15K and under 50K miles!

Squeee!!

amy919

I have a loaded 2005 SEL AWD Freestyle with the 2nd row bucket seats. For the most part, I love the car, but I'm considering looking for something bigger. We use the 3rd a lot for adults and occassionally when we have an extra kid to cart around. We chose the bench seats in the middle to allow easy access to the 3rd row, but that means climbing over the 2nd row center console which gets annoying, so we typically load the 3rd row passengers in through the back.

I do love the car, the way it handles, the interior room - especially behind the 3rd row, the ease of putting the 3rd row seats up and down, the keyless entry, etc. Mine has tons of features I never even use, but they're nice to have :).

So, obviously, my vote is for the 2nd row bench seats because that's what i have it works well for us. Good luck!

ETA - if you do decide to go with the 2nd row bench seats, you can opt to forego the 2nd row center console for that minivan type access to the 3rd row!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC