Cheapest *decent* HWH...

arly1983

is the Nautilus at $129 right?

My MIL is going to need a seat in her car in about 3 weeks and I still can't get the stupid radian in. (The only car I can't seem to get an acceptable install AT ALL in 05 Ford 500)

This is for J, she will be taking him to and from school.

ADS

arly1983

The Apex 65 is $89 at places. Albeebaby.com has one.

Johnathon has one and has less then a half of inch left in the harness. He is 49" and 45lbs and 6yrs.

It has to have a headrest behind it.

But the Nautilus will last almost an inch longer.

I considered an Apex but she will need to get a 3-across (2 seats and 1 adult) once a week. I figured the Nautilus was the next narrowest after the radian.

Dang it, I really wish I had my hands on her car right now and could try again. I already have two radians....then I could get C something girly for my van:whistle:

But to be honest I have tried several times and with DH helping me and tried all the tricks .... but I suppose it *could* happen next time. I can hope.

arly1983

I hate to say this, but the Nauti is NOT narrow. It's quite bulky....

Oh, I know, Ive had one (maybe two...:whistle:) Its just the narrowest, cheapest HWH that I can think of.

Never had a Frontier but in BRU it didn't look that much narrower. Anybody got the mearsurements?

I just don't have the money for it now. I suppose she could make due with the Regent and not take C anywhere until we can get our finances back in order after the move. I just really wanted her to have one ASAP for birth related emergencies.

Maedze

:doh: I can't believe I forgot about your proclivity for trying out every new seat on the market :whistle: :love:

arly1983

:doh: I can't believe I forgot about your proclivity for trying out every new seat on the market :whistle: :love:

:D:D I actually haven't bought a new seat in almost 3 months.

I was just looking at these pics and the Frontier might be narrower at the armrests. That could make a big difference.

Great...I suppose if I paid the CC off first thing next month...

Pixels

For birth related emergencies ... could you swap cars? Not ahead of time, but at the moment if it came up. Either she comes to your house and you take her car, or you take the kids with you to the hospital (or wherever you are going) and then she comes there and takes the kids and your car.

arly1983

For birth related emergencies ... could you swap cars? Not ahead of time, but at the moment if it came up. Either she comes to your house and you take her car, or you take the kids with you to the hospital (or wherever you are going) and then she comes there and takes the kids and your car.

Thanks, I think thats what I will just tell her we will do until I can get everything settled. Regent goes in her car and we just switch if an emergency comes up.

scatterbunny

The Nauti might not be the narrowest seat overall, and I agree it is quite bulky near the front half of the seat, especially at the armrests-but, because of the way it contours toward the back of the seat, and because of how narrow the backrest part is, it can work surprisingly well in three-across, at least with the boosters and RF convertibles I've puzzled with it. I've gotten three-across in my Ford Focus with the Nauti, and that's with three child restraints. If I only had to worry about the Nauti+another restraint+adult in seatbelt, I wouldn't sweat it.

Arly, both seats will be FF, right? Do they need to go side-by-side? Just musing, but the Nauti's widest points make it mesh better with more RF seats than FF seats.

If you didn't need to do three-across, I'd say go with the Apex and don't worry about it, but that seat is wide in all the wrong places, IMO, to work well in most three-across sedan situations. :twocents:

arly1983

It sounds like this seat wouldn't be used very often? Have you tried the Go?

She would use it every week day to take J to school so it would be getting alot of use.

C's seat with her would not get alot of use at all, probably 1-2 a week at the most.

Is the radian not working in any position in the 500?

Not for me and I have been trying since I first got the radian. I would say I have tried 5 or 6 times total. I want to try again with DH before I give up on it.

The 500 has forward of the bight latch anchors, thats right, latch anchors. The seatbelt install is just the pits. I will have to get some pics when I try again. Maybe somebody will have some super wonderful tip for me.

The Nauti might not be the narrowest seat overall, and I agree it is quite bulky near the front half of the seat, especially at the armrests-but, because of the way it contours toward the back of the seat, and because of how narrow the backrest part is, it can work surprisingly well in three-across, at least with the boosters and RF convertibles I've puzzled with it. I've gotten three-across in my Ford Focus with the Nauti, and that's with three child restraints. If I only had to worry about the Nauti+another restraint+adult in seatbelt, I wouldn't sweat it.

Arly, both seats will be FF, right? Do they need to go side-by-side? Just musing, but the Nauti's widest points make it mesh better with more RF seats than FF seats.

If you didn't need to do three-across, I'd say go with the Apex and don't worry about it, but that seat is wide in all the wrong places, IMO, to work well in most three-across sedan situations. :twocents:

WOW! in your Focus?

Thanks, I think I will just got with the Nauti then, it gives me some room to work with for C a seat.

The seats don't have to go next to each other. The adult that would need to go in the back is a newly licensed teenager and I am not sure just exactly how much she is actually going to ride with them to church, might not be enough to talk about.

BW1426

Not for me and I have been trying since I first got the radian. I would say I have tried 5 or 6 times total. I want to try again with DH before I give up on it.

The 500 has forward of the bight latch anchors, thats right, latch anchors. The seatbelt install is just the pits. I will have to get some pics when I try again. Maybe somebody will have some super wonderful tip for me.

Bummer :( I was thinking I test drove a Radian with in the 500, but I can't remember for sure now. Hmm. I wonder if we have any at the local dealer. Wouldn't they love to see my smiling face (and carseats) again :whistle:

arly1983

Bummer :( I was thinking I test drove a Radian with in the 500, but I can't remember for sure now. Hmm. I wonder if we have any at the local dealer. Wouldn't they love to see my smiling face (and carseats) again :whistle:

I would be SO THRILLED if that were so!

I am definitely going to try again now. :thumbsup:

MissAllyLou

Just wanted to throw in my :twocents: about the Nautilus and Frontier... Ive had both, and the Frontier is wider overall, but puzzles better with FFing seats than the GN. Also, the Frontier is more comfortable to sit next to, as the GN armrests are hard plastic and thick. I'd go with a Frontier or two ... :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC