Ergo for a 30lb toddler..yes or no

britfish

We are going to Bermuda next month and it will be the first time travelling with out a stroller for our 4yo. Its not really lay on the beach season in Bermuda so we are planning on some easy hikes/walks around the island etc.
Would you get an ergo for a 30 lb. 4 year old? She loved her sling (up to age 2.5) and is good in a stroller, I am just afraid she is going to be whiny walking and I won't have any other option. Maybe I am over worrying, or maybe I've just always wanted an ergo :)

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I hauled all over Europe on a cruise with my 30lb 10mo in one. It worked quite well for us. I switched it up with a sling and stroller too, but I'm sure your 4yo could spend some of that time walking. ;)

I'd say go for it!

munchkin

Yes! I carry my 38ish pound niece in it all the time. It is great especially in instances where she wants up/down/up/down like the zoo, etc. kinda what it sounds like you/your dd would be doing.

And if it doesn't work out you can always sell it and get most of what you paid.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'd get a 4th Gen Beco... taller in the back for bigger kids and we adore ours. M (32lbs, 40" tall) loves to be carried in that thing... he fell asleep in the van today (on the way to grocery shopping). He stayed asleep while I tossed him in the Beco and then continued to stay asleep while I shopped and tossed him back into the van again... :love: my Beco.

We specifically bought our Beco in September for our upcoming trip to Disney (21 days to go!).

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Can you try one before you buy? I wasn't impressed with the Ergo I tried when Nadia was 2-3. My local babywearing group has monthly meetings, so I didn't waste my money on a carrier I wouldn't have appreciated.

However, I'm madly in love with the ToddlerHawk I got for Kira for Christmas this year.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Can you try one before you buy? I wasn't impressed with the Ergo I tried when Nadia was 2-3. My local babywearing group has monthly meetings, so I didn't waste my money on a carrier I wouldn't have appreciated.

However, I'm madly in love with the ToddlerHawk I got for Kira for Christmas this year.

britfish

thank you guys so much for your replies, I am going to check out a few of the carriers you guys mentioned.
Of course DH doesn't think we need a carrier but I know her, and especially if she is missing or late on a nap she gets super cranky so I think it will come in handy.

Good idea on checking w/ a babywearing group, I don't know if we have one but that way I could see what will work.

munchkin

Can you try one before you buy?

I totally agree with this. While I love my Ergo, I know not everyone does. I also have a Beco (butterfly) that I also love. So if you could try a few out to find out what works best for you and your dd that would make for the best/most relaxed trips and hikes.

Morganthe

Ergo, Beco, Patapum -- anything you feel is right, will work for carrying a 30lb child. :thumbsup: You have plenty of time before 'outgrowing' happens

This is coming from someone who often Ergoed a 45", 42-43lb, 5 year old travelling a few months ago in Korea.
ry%3D400

Just got a Patapum for dh (;) ) since we'll probably wear dd for trips through DC and long outings around Germany. Easier to stuff in a bag or tie around the waist than hauling a stroller everywhere. Besides, it's really unpredictable when she gets tired now.

She's game for long periods of time...then just cannot move another inch. In that photo, we'd already climbed a mountain, she had spent time on my back on a crowded shopping street, and it was 4pm on a longwinded tour. She got down and ran around for a while, then tiredness wore her down again. Requested to go back up in it.
No whines or tears or trying to balance her on a hip over rough ground.

I say a soft frame is a parenting essential if you go anywhere other than malls --heck,even then it's awesome. Oh, and it's :thumbsup: for Airport security lines and anywhere that requires lengthy standing in crowds. :D

britfish

Morganthe, thanks for the pic., I love it!! I thought you were all going to think I was crazy to want to get one for a toddler!!

I tried to find a baby wearing group in my area today and I can't. Any ideas, suggestions, must haves for a carrier? what did you love or hate about the one you have? I used a maya wrap a lot when she was younger and loved it, I am really looking forward to carrying her on my back and finding something simple and comfy like the maya wrap was!

flutie128

I love my ergo. I have carried my 45 pound ds before when he is tired. I have also carried my dd who is 8 months old. I love it because I can carry both of them with only one carrier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC