Extended rear-facing seat? And extended 5-point?

My toddler (22 months) is about to outgrow the Britax Diplomat he rides in in our 2nd car. He still has some room left in the Boulevard he's in in the van, our main vehicle. I want to keep him rear-facing and tethered, luckily he's pretty light (22 lbs still), but height is a factor. What's the seat I can buy that will do all that? Cost is not an issue.

Also, my oldests (twins) are about at the height limit of the SafeGuard Child Seat, but only about 44/45 lbs (long torsos). Is there a 5-point with higher harness slots or do I need to get them boosters next? If so, which ones can be narrowed as they are both very skinny?

ADS

Maedze

The Compass True Fit has the tallest shell and deepest seat and will guarantee you max time rear facing :thumbsup:

NannyMom

Re: Extended rear-facing seat?

The FIrst Years True Fit ($180-190) has the tallest shell. It can rear face up to 35 pounds, and forward face up to 65 pounds (depending on height). It also offers the most leg room rear facing. The harness will also go a little higher forward facing than the Boulevard will.

The Sunshine Kids Radian 65, 80, or XT (usually $200-300) also have a very tall shell. It can rear face up to 35 pounds, and forward face up to 65 or 80 pounds (depending on which seat), though most seats are outgrown by height long before weight. The new Radian XT also has side head wings like the Boulevard. Again, the top harness height is a little taller than on the Boulevard.

NannyMom

The True Fit can not be tethered rear facing, but the Radian can. THe True fit will also be available in March with an anti-rebound bar, similar benefits to rear face tethering.

MomToEliEm

Also, my oldests (twins) are about at the height limit of the SafeGuard Child Seat, but only about 44/45 lbs (long torsos). Is there a 5-point with higher harness slots or do I need to get them boosters next? If so, which ones can be narrowed as they are both very skinny?

Where are the girl's shoulders in relation to the top slot on the SafeGuard seat? The seat is outgrown by height forward facing when the child's shoulders extend above the top slot or the child's ears extend above the top of the shell. The only taller seat over the safeguard seat is the Britax Regent, though it is a very large seat and might not work with a very skinny child. You could look into a 86Y harness with a booster or possibly the Ride Safer Travel Vest (http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
IIRC, the Regent's top slots are only 1/2 inch above the top harness height on the SafeGuard Child Seat. I'd probably be looking into either vests or boosters. Which I chose would depend on age and maturity/ability to sit correctly.

minismom

The only seats that allow RF tether are the Britaxes and the Radian. The Radian is a nice seat but can be hard to install and is usually very reclined when RFing. See if you can try it before you buy or get it somewhere you can return in case it doesn't work. Oh, and look for a DOM of Sept 08 and later so you get the new updated features!

Thanks - the SafeGuard has the adjustable height headrest that moves with the straps. My DD has about 2 inches before her shoulders meet the top strap level, my oldest DS has about an inch. I found the harness slots on the Regent to be lower than the SafeGuard, according to everything i read here almost 2 years ago when we boguht them, as well as having them try it out in a store - unless something has changed with the model.
I don't want a vest, I'm really looking for a booster that can adjust width-wise in the back since they are so skinny. I know some of them do it, just not which ones and I know there are so many new products i'm not familiar with.

I think I'd probably wait for the Truefit with the anti-rebound bar for my toddler, if he has a growth spurt and outgrows the Diplomat before then we just won't use it since it's for DH's car anyway.

firemomof3

The Sunshine Kids Monterey Booster adjusts width wise and adjusts very tall, so I would recommend that for your twins :thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
2 inches is usually a long time in torso growth. Even 1 inch can be. I would wait until they are closer to actually outgrowing the seats before buying the boosters; something new may be on the market by then.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
2 inches is usually a long time in torso growth. Even 1 inch can be. I would wait until they are closer to actually outgrowing the seats before buying the boosters; something new may be on the market by then.

YES, THIS. You don't mention age, but with torsoes that tall, these kids are..??...5, 6? At that point, an inch of torso growth can take a year or more ......most kids are growing legs at that point....so you might have a lot more time than you think left in the seats.....there are exceptions of course, and your kids might have torso-growth-spurts tomorrow, lol.....but you probably have a significant amount of time....:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC