Another Carseats on a Bus Question

MoreLatte

Ohio finally passed a law requiring children up to 8yrs/80pounds be in carseats/boosters! Yay! I don't know what took us so long! Of course, you have to be pulled over for another violation to be cited:rolleyes:

Anyway, My DD's preschool has a bus they use for field trips. It has lap-only belts. Whenever they have a trip my DD participates in, they have us sign a paper stating whether the child is 4yrs/40pounds(current law) or under those limits and will be using a carseat.

The owner assures me that it is a certified bus with tall seatbacks, so it is no different than the larger school busses, so DD has ridden on it twice now(once with me) and has used a lap-only belt.

Now that the law is changing, will all the children have to have carseats? Obviously they can't use boosters because of the belts.

I'm confused. Since it is a bus, I'm just wondering where the cutoff will be for requiring a seat now?

ADS

ctbcleveland

Don't have an answer for you, but did want to cheer for the good news!

I think the new law goes into effect in July.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Usually the large size school buses are exempt from car seat/booster laws because how they are designed. I guess it depends on how your state law is written and if it has in that buses require a restraint to a certain age.

I assume the reason the preschool required 4 & under 40 to be restrained in a car seat might more have to do with maturity and be able to stay seated the whole trip.

As for the lapbelt I would not allow my child to ride on the bus in a lap belt only seatbelt. The reason it doesn't allow the bus seat/compartitlization to work properly. My girls ride the school bus to school everyday (5 & 7) and it doesn't concern me because school bus safety is far safer then them being in my vehicle.

MoreLatte

Usually the large size school buses are exempt from car seat/booster laws because how they are designed. I guess it depends on how your state law is written and if it has in that buses require a restraint to a certain age.

I assume the reason the preschool required 4 & under 40 to be restrained in a car seat might more have to do with maturity and be able to stay seated the whole trip.

As for the lapbelt I would not allow my child to ride on the bus in a lap belt only seatbelt. The reason it doesn't allow the bus seat/compartitlization to work properly. My girls ride the school bus to school everyday (5 & 7) and it doesn't concern me because school bus safety is far safer then them being in my vehicle.

So in my situation, where the children are required to wear a seat belt on the bus, what would be best to use? Should I just install her TF or is there another option? What about the 86Y? Does it require a shoulder belt?

Since the bus has high seatbacks, should she just ride without the belt? Maybe the owner doesn't realize that on a bus, its safer to ride without the belt?

U

Unregistered1

Has governor strickland signed it yet?? I think I remember hearing that he said he would sign it... but ooooh I'm so excited!

As far as the school bus issue. We have this issue at work too. We have a 15 passenger van with only 4 rear lap/shoulder belts and low seat backs. I am pretty sure that my boss would just put the kids in their boosters with the lap only belt if I didn't tell her otherwise (and maybe even if I did). I think we are getting a new bus this year though.

In your situation, does the bus have tether anchors avaliable? The 86Y requires a tether anchor, a heavy duty one. It comes with a tether kit but I don't know anything about doing it on the bus. Otherwise, I would take and install her five point seat... it's really the only way I'd feel comfortable.

Shaunam

It's about freaking time! I really hope the new law improves overall car seat usage around here. I went to the store yesterday and I saw *3* kids under the age of 4 (assuming, they were a lot smaller than DS) in absolutely nothing, all in different cars. It's just ridiculous.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. Just celebrating the new law. :eek:

hockeywoman

Yeah - it's about time. Though as foster parents, we've had that rule for us for a while now.

I hate dropping the kids off at daycare and seeing kids the same size or smaller than my 3 year old (who is the size of a 2 year old) in backless boosters or nothing at all. Now if only parents would care more about child safety!

ctbcleveland

Has governor strickland signed it yet??

I don't believe he has. I am waiting for his official signature to email everyone I know who is not using one. I figure before he signs, people could still protest, so I will keep my mouth shut for a few more weeks.

Kalinky

Senior Community Member

I totally agree with the above. I wouldn't even want to put myself in the lapbelt.

Is this an actual "school bus", or a smaller transport type bus? I don't know if the smaller transport type buses have the same compartmentalization safety design that school buses have :confused:. If they require some sort of restraint and think that a lap only belt is a safe option, I'd definitely install the TF. And as far as when a HWH seat is outgrown, and them wanting to just put the kids in lapbelts only - they really need to figure something else out. The new booster law almost seems irrelevant since you can't use a booster with a lap only belt anyway. Maybe it will push them to get a newer, more safe bus?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC