10yo - belt too low!

melaniev

so i was pretty committed to keeping my 10yo in a booster forever (she's only 51lb), but she recently started complaining that the seatbelt lies too low, and I have to say I think I agree. We've been talking a lot about car safety, and she knows where the seatbelt is supposed to hit on her shoulder and it's more like across her arm above her elbow. what do you do now?
(she's 4' 5 1/2", 51 lb and it's a cosco high rise) i really cant justify buying her another booster at this point unless it would be a dramatic difference, although i did try convincing her she wanted a regent;).

ADS

skaterbabs

Definately try a different booster. It sounds like the Cosco you have is too small for her.
FWIW, I have to buy my boys new boosters, at 8 and ten. They're no where near meeting the 5 Step Test but have outgrown their Turbo Boosters through the torso. I'm waiting for my (ahem, their) Parkways to be delivered..... ;)

Mattypies

Wondering the same thing today !!!

My ds is only 8.5, weights 55 lbs and is 52ish inches. Depending on who we have in our van, Ford Freestar, he sometimes has to ride in the back bench. Technically he passes the 5 step test in the back bench (Small bench, low to the ground, because it folds into the floor) but when I asked here about allowing him riding without the booster there wer concerns raised about his wieght and that there would be lateral movement because a booster provides "false" hips.

DS rode in the back bench yesterday and he was hitting the ceiling so we tried a backless turbo but that boosts him higher than the highest setting on the head rest. So, it looks like he can only ride in the captains chairs which becomes a real pain for me. I wonder if another booster would work but I can't imagine him being able to use it to 80 lbs back there anyway.

I never thought I would have a child too big for a booster but too small for the belt. I should try him in the middle position on that back bench maybe the middle is narrower and would provide less lateral movement but then what about his weight?

Confused?

heather

skaterbabs

If he passes the 5 Step test in that seating position he is safe without a booster. I'm not sure what the other people meant about "false hips", I've never heard that before.

skaterbabs

The law doesn't matter at all, it's the 5 Step Test that's important. The law is there to help prevent premature graduation from a booster, but what's important is height, not weight.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
State laws barely reflect safest practice ... many don't at all still -- simply because laws are written by people based on oppinions.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration research supports the American Academy of Pediatrics' policy statement urging all kids to remain in carseats until the MAXIMUM limits: preschoolers should still be rear facing, kids harnessed & big kids in boosters.

If a child passes the 5 Step Test below, then s/he is ready to stop using a booster -- not before, regardless of age, because vehicle seats & seatbelts are designed to fit the average adult male at about 5'10" 165+ pounds.
  • An answer of NO to any of the following questions "fails":
    • Does the lap belt fit snug across the hips/thighs?
    • Does the shoulder belt cross the middle of the chest & lie across the collar bone between shoulder & neck?
    • Can the child sit with his/her back against the vehicle seat back?
    • Do the child's knees bend at the edge of the vehicle seat & feet touch the floor?
    • Can the child stay seated like this for the entire length of every ride?
Some kids pass the 5 Step Test in one seat of the vehicle, but not in another seat & some kids pass the 5 Step Test in one vehicle but not in other vehicles.

If your child doesn't yet pass the 5 Step Test, I would test out other boosters....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC