Horrible holiday travel story - can you beat it?

tcottawa

OK, so because of a death in the family I had to fly with my two girls alone with only a day's notice and was completely unprepared and more than a little frazzled.

-First, forgot that I had to give up my luggage cart to clear customs (this was preclearance in ottawa) and ending up dragging :eek: two Marathons (by the cover, not the straps) a couple hundred feet to get to our gate, while verbally herding a 2 and 4 year old and carrying our little travel bag.

-Flight two hours delayed, which entailed dragging carseats around to the bathroom a couple times so I could keep all of our stuff together.

- try to keep kids together while installing seats on the plane, but forget to get the belt extender for easier removal of seats at the end

- so, bruise the heck out of myself while trying to get the seats out of airplane (why did I install them so well :rolleyes:) finally enlisting the help of the flight attendants after keeping them waiting until 10 minutes after everybody else is off the plane.

- 2 year old tantrum ensues and someone takes pity on me and manually carries the carseats up to the gate

-not carseat related, but I'm 75% sure I see an ex-boyfriend (who I had a restraining order against :eek:) at the gate checking into the next flight, and I freak out so much I don't even remember the next 10 minutes as I try to lay low and get the hell out of there

- my parents' come to pick me up and I see that their car doesn't have tether anchors in it (the same model in Canada does, I think). :thumbsdown:
I install the carseats while the airport security people stare at me because I'm taking too long...

Aaah, I'm not flying again until the kids are in booster seats....

ADS

firemomof3

Oh gosh, that does sound like a nightmare! The same thing happened to me, forgot the seat belt extender and a southwest mechanic had to take the seat apart to get my car seat out!!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ugh, definitely sounds like a horrible time. All that happened to us was our battery was dead when we went to leave for my parents Christmas Eve. :rolleyes:

It would've been a bigger deal had our neighbor not been home to give us a boost as a 2+ hr wait would not have been fun with kids who thought they were leaving for Christmas and then had to wait around the house.

Sorry you had such a rough time of it.

Mommy090804

Hugs to you. That really sucks. As I was reading your description, I could totally picture it! (Our kids are the same age.) I didn't even think about going to the bathroom - LOL! And of course, there is always the noncompliant child factor. Glad you made it home, and sorry about the lack of LATCH anchors - we rely on those quite a bit as well.

I just thought I would share something that happened to us on one of our trips. We did have a stroller to use and DD's MA (only one kid at the time). A couple thought that they would be nice and help us by carrying the stroller down some stairs to the gate to board the plane. So I carried DD and DH carried the MA. Well, at the bottom of the stairs, it was another five minute walk to board the plane. The thoughtful couple pushed our stroller all the way to the gate for us! (Yes, while DH carried the carseat and I carried DD - we really could have used the stroller once we made it down the stairs.) The couple was so proud of themselves that they helped us get our gear to the plane, not realizing that we really could have used the stroller to transport the stuff!

Anyway, hugs again to you and sorry about the death in your family...

tcottawa

Most of the people were helpful, except for the customs agent who said "I don't see how you're going to get those carseats downstairs"...thanks.

The car didn't have top tethers - don't know why I assumed it would - we just didn't drive very often once we were there.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I can't believe you had to give up your luggage cart!!!!! That's terrible!!! I think I might have cried if they told me that and I had to huge carseats and 2 small kids.

tcottawa

oh, I should explain that I flew to the states, so the lack of top tethers was legal, if not safe enough (if it hadn't have been christmas, I would have got them installed).

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That *is* a rough experience. We had one that came close last Christmas when my grandmother died, but I had DH with me and only one child, so your experience is in a whole 'nother catagory. Good job getting though it :thumbsup: and I'm sorry it was under sad circumstances.

emandbri

That is SOOOOOO horrible! lots and lots of hugs! I can't even imagine dragging car seats to the bathroom! What a pain!

mum2two

I know the drill in Ottawa well, I had to do it once (luckily with only one child but she was a baby in her Snugride/with my stroller) the elevators were broken and there was nobody around to help me down the escalator safely or the stairs....I swear sometimes that terminal is like a ghost-town! Finally another passenger came along to help me down the stairs (yah for my lightweight Combi stroller).

P.S. I'm an Ottawa (Nepean) native living in the US. Hope you are enjoying Ottawa.

mlbmom

Sorry you had such a rough time.

- so, bruise the heck out of myself while trying to get the seats out of airplane (why did I install them so well :rolleyes:) finally enlisting the help of the flight attendants after keeping them waiting until 10 minutes after everybody else is off the plane.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one. Been there, twice. You'd think I'd learn. Never got anything but stares from the flight attendants though. And really bruised forearms.

Mel

CaseyRN

I just have to laugh about getting the carseat out. When we flew I tried to be oh so cool about it but I was struggling getting the seat uninstalled after the flight. I was whispering to DH that it was stuck and we were being asked by my IL's if everything was okay and of course we said yeah everything is fine. All the while I am seriously concerned we are going to look like idiots and have to ask for help. Finally I got it out.....it took a little of my knuckle skin with it I think, though! Needless to say on the flight home we did not have that problem. lesson learned.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC