s/o eating in car - at what age did you start letting them?

minismom

I was surprised that the vast majority here doesn't seem concerned about the possibility of chocking. I wonder if maybe we were talking kids a bit older than my dd. So please elaborate! FYI, dd never chokes when eating, but I think that driving increases the risk so I don't want to take a chance, especially since it happened with a friend of a friend.

ADS

BW1426

I'm a very, very bad one to ask :eek: I'm sure with the first child it would have been different, but with E and Bubby in the car, I let Bubby eat far sooner than he should have. He was under a year. I'd give him puffs in a snack trap. Really, really bad, I know. He'd freak if E was eating and that's how it started.
Bad.

natysr

I think Jordan was about 2 when I started letting him have snacks in the car. He never choked when eating meals. Some kids tend to get choked up more easily than others. I think you just have to know your kid and not go by an arbitrary number...and select snacks wisely.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Um, I'm not sure. Before 2, for sure. Depends on the food and the situation. Definitely not until I have witnessed my kids learn the anti-choke gag maneuver. And like Brie said, more comfortable with sibs in the car to keep an eye on a RFing kid.

In fact, come to think of it, I think my eldest has already given the baby a Cheerio (one at a time) in the car (without my express permission) a few times. :eek:

katiesmommy

Under 18 months it was fruit or veggie puffs only and I would sit in the back and hand them to her. But around 18-20 months I started just giving her a little baggie with them and she would eat them on her own. It was still fruit puffs only though. It was more about learning not to stuff them all in her mouth then chocking on them for us I think though.

MustangMama

My DD was about 2.5-3 when we let her have her own food in the car. Before that we always sat with her and fed her. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Young. A year? Not sure. I remember needing Nathan to unbelt once because she'd fallen asleep with chicken in her mouth on the interstate. She was rear facing and so he had to lean over her seat and pluck it out of her mouth. I think she was older then, about 2.5. But she was pretty young, I'm sure. She gagged often and had a wonderful reflex and was very noisy about it, so between that and the mirror I could see what she had spit out. It was never a problem.

Wendy

Blondie87

J has eaten in the car ever since I got him at 13 months. Mainly crackers, cookies, chicken nuggets, or fries. He's never had any problems at all...

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
huh......since 6 months or so with ds....but those little dissolv-y puffs mostly, and graham sticks, cookies, banana, etc. DD can have anything really, since she was..2.5/3?......burgers, hot dogs, chicken, tacos, ice cream, cookies, apples......She eats her breakfast toaster strudel in the car every morming on the ride to school....But I'm generally laid-back, lol.....

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Could you please describe this? My son is 4 year old, and I haven't seen him do anything like that.

Sure. By 4 they've usually outgrown it although my 2 year old still did it occasionally until a few months ago. All my kids have mastered it by 10 or 11 months at the latest. Basically, when they're learning to eat tougher foods, ones that aren't mush and don't dissolve immediately but require some gumming, they will be gumming and lose control. It will go too far toward the back of their throat, and they will choke a little. I watch them to see if they're in control or not. Usually the first several times it happens, they need help-- repositioning, or even a hooked finger to clear the item out. But after a month or two they will learn to deliberately interrupt the choking and reverse into a gag, while simultaneously maneuvering their tongues to bring the food item back to the front of their mouths where they can resume gumming on it. Once they are choking very little and consistently rectifying it in this manner each time they do, I feel okay letting them have food with a slightly lower level of supervision (not sitting right in front of them, watching every second while they eat.) I still do not give obvious choking hazards like nuts or anything, but something like Cheerios I'm okay being in a different part of the room and just keeping an eye and an ear out, checking over every minute or so. My eight month old is already at this point. :)

minismom

Thanks for the responses, I guess you guys have a good point, it depends on the child and the type of food. The child I know of who died was a 2yo and he was eating grapes. He was FF and the mother heard and saw him choke, that wasn't the issue. The problem was that she was driving on the freeway and couldn't stop the car fast enough. Very very sad!

I have always heard that you're supposed to cut grapes in quarters because it's a choke hazard (keep in mind maybe the mom in case did that, I have no clue, just going a bit off topic here). However, in one of dd's mommy and me classes every week someone brings snacks and twice grapes were part of the snack and they were not given to the kids cut and I swear those were the biggest grapes I've ever seen. Dd put one in her mouth and took it off a second later when she realized she couldn't do anything with it. :rolleyes: The other kids ate them I guess and no one said anything... Anyway, I was just wondering.

mommy2env

Grapes? Yeah, I wouldnt give whole grapes to my kid. I know of a 24 yo who died last year, by choking on a grape. :eek:

Most of the time, someone is in the back seat with my little one. Without supervision, I think it was close to 15 mos. Of course, it was something like puffs, or dry cereal.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have to admit, I only cut grapes for my kids until they're 18 months. Then I let them have them whole. BUT, I would not give a child grapes in the car. I give them whole grapes so they'll learn how to eat them, but they only get them while seated where I can watch them and assist if necessary.

minismom

I have to admit, I only cut grapes for my kids until they're 18 months. Then I let them have them whole. BUT, I would not give a child grapes in the car. I give them whole grapes so they'll learn how to eat them, but they only get them while seated where I can watch them and assist if necessary.

Yeah, that makes sense!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's part of our whole philosophy; I also don't use outlet covers. I know most places where they'll be won't have outlet covers, so I prefer to teach them not to touch an outlet or plug, and if they can't do that, not leave them in an area with an outlet.

Shaunam

I think I started letting DS when he stopped choking on everything all the time! And after he was ff'ing. He wasn't normal though as far as I'm concerned. Most kids can actually swallow food by the time they are a year old with minimal problems.

If I had a kid who didn't choke, I'd be handing them whatever it took to keep them quiet. LOL

theshapeshifter

If we're on a longer car trip where both DH and I are in the car, one of us (usually me) will sit in the back and feed DS easy-to-eat snacks if needed. I wouldn't let him eat on his own in the back yet; not sure when I would feel okay with that, definitely not till he goes FFing at least.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC