3 across in a Matrix?

devaskyla

I don't have a car, but we sometimes have a long drives in my mom's Toyota Matrix (I think it's an '06). She says the back seat is 46" wide, but I'm not sure exactly where on it she measured.

Atm, I have a 65lb 7 year old who used a Cosco Highrise backless booster & a 32lb 3 year old who is ff in an Alpha Omega (both seats made in 2006). I'm due at the end of Feb & I'm trying to figure out what to get that will fit the best for the longest time for all the kids. I was thinking of getting a Radian & putting the baby in that rear-facing until he/she is big enough for the Alpha (rf'ing, of course), then switching the baby & my 3 year old, since the 3 year old is at the top usable slot on the AO (still has growing room on it, though). Once the 3 year old is big enough/mature enough for a booster, I could switch him back to the AO & the baby back to the Radian.

The Radian seems really pricey, though. On the other hand, I'm not sure there's a less expensive seat that would be able to fit 3 across. I'm hoping someone here has some ideas for me. (I'm in Canada if that makes any difference)

ADS

canadiangie

Do you currently have the base on your Alpha Omega seat?

Removing the base tends to buy you some more room.

As for your plan, do you mean you'll be putting your newborn into the Radian from birth then? (skipping the infant seat).

devaskyla

I haven't been able to figure out how to take the base off of the AO. I tried before Christmas, but couldn't figure it out immediately & decided to try again some other time.

& Yes, I was planning on skipping the infant seat. I don't have one & really can't afford to buy a seat for just a few months, even assuming I could find one which would fit 3 across.

BW1426

The AO makes a horrible booster, so I wouldn't bank on using that as a booster.

You are going to need all the room you can buy yourself. When does your oldest turn 8 and does she pass the 5 step test in your mom's car? If she passes the five step test and she has head support up to her ears than she could go out of a booster which would buy you more room. Does she appear anywhere near passing the 5 step test?

I would see if you could fit the Radian and AO (wide) and your oldest in the back.

And, the base comes off when your remove the metal rod. You have to slide that rod out before the base will come off.

devaskyla

My oldest won't be 8 until next August. I don't think he would pass the 5 step test. Technically I don't pass it (shoulder strap cuts into my neck) & he's shorter than I am. Not sure about the other steps, although he'd probably pass on those.

Thanks for the tip on taking the base off. I'll try it tomorrow....or whenever I can move again...seem to have messed up my pelvis.

canadiangie

Taking the base off is so easy, that explaining it almost makes it sounds harder than it is. If you have the manual it, look in the booster mode section.

Otherwise (and bear with me), it comes down to sliding the metal rod out from the base and releasing the recline handle on the front of the seat. Once the metal rod has been slid out, just squeeze the recline handle, and the base should just fall off.

does that make sense?

As for the newborn going into a convertible, yes, that's fine, but not all convertible work well with newborns. The narrowest newborn friendly convertible in the Radian. The Premiere edition comes with the infant padding and a head hugger. The Radian should be fine assuming the baby is at least 6lbs or so. Maybe call your hospital ahead of time and ask about their car seat policy. It should be fine to bring a baby home in a convertible, but they may want you to bring the seat into the hospital prior to discharge, meaning you'll have to re-install it prior to leaving. Depending on how well (or not well) you're feeling you might need help with this.

Booster seats require a lap/shoulder belt (never a lap-only belt) and because he's in a backless booster he also needs a head rest behind his head. Just something to keep in mind when it comes to positioning of seats.

devaskyla

Maybe call your hospital ahead of time and ask about their car seat policy. It should be fine to bring a baby home in a convertible, but they may want you to bring the seat into the hospital prior to discharge, meaning you'll have to re-install it prior to leaving. Depending on how well (or not well) you're feeling you might need help with this.

Luckily I don't need to worry about hospitals since I'm having a home birth. :)

Thanks for the reminder about needing a headrest behind ds1.

After doing some more hunting around, I've been wondering if a TrueFit would maybe work as well, or better, than a Radian. It certainly sounds like it would work better lengthwise while the baby is rearfacing, while being about the same for harnessing later, but I'm really concerned it would be too wide for 3 across.

Anyone have any thoughts?

mommycat

The TrueFit would not work for 3 across. It is WIDE. Awesome, but wide, everywhere. And I don't get the feeling that it puzzles particularly well like the Marathon. Maybe someone with more install expreince will chime in (business is SLOW here... :( ) The Radian is probably your best bet, and you could always put the baby in the AO RF once baby fits the seat and have your 3yo harnessed FF a lot longer. :thumbsup:

D'oh, guess I should actually read the first post a little more carefully! :eek:

mommycat

The Evenflo Triumph Advance might be a good choice too, for a little less money (though a shorter life and slightly lower top slots), but someone else will have to comment on it's width and suitability for tiny babies. Not a seat I see much of here, either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC