Thought I had it figured out

rodentranger

I have a 33 lb MA and a TF. DS is 24 mos, ~30-32 lbs, 34" tall. Baby will be here soon; at birth DS was 8 lb 3 oz, 21.5 inches not that that predicts newbie's size.
I drive a 2003 Pilot and currently have the MA installed for DS in the center. I was borrowing a SR for baby in case he came before the TF, and it is installed passenger outboard. I don't like infant carriers and would prefer to use the convertible from day one.
Of course baby will fit better in the TF, and the TF fits better behind the front seat. But I like to be able to reach tiny littles in the car and my Go-Go-Gadget Mommy Arm isn't long enough to reach over the MA to the passenger outboard seat.
Who would you put where in which seat?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
LOL Go go gadget mommy arm. Love it!

I'd put the baby in the TF in the middle, if you can swing it. Reason being, both are rear facing kidlets, so I'd put the smaller child in the safer position. The baby in the middle. Then put your older child outboard rear facing on either side. Which ever works best for you, though there may be a slight statistical advantage to the driver's side.

Wendy

Pixels

Definitely plan on baby in the TF and older kiddo in the MA. Britax seats have bottom slots that are just too high for most newborns.

rodentranger

LOL Go go gadget mommy arm. Love it!

I'd put the baby in the TF in the middle, if you can swing it. Reason being, both are rear facing kidlets, so I'd put the smaller child in the safer position. The baby in the middle. Then put your older child outboard rear facing on either side. Which ever works best for you, though there may be a slight statistical advantage to the driver's side.

Wendy
Really? I thought I had read somewhere that the opposite was true. I thought I had read you were statistically more likely to have a side impact on the driver's side.

My plan is to have newbie in the TF until he is tall enough for the MA and hope that DS1 not hit 33 lbs until then. Then I'll swap the seats so DS1 can rf for two more pounds and have the deeper side wings for ff.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A study came out last year. July? September? I can't remember at all. It showed a slight statistical increase in safety for children under seven on the driver's side. However, it didn't take into account rear versus forward facing, booster versus harness, etc. So it's a big grain of salt, but there was a slight advantage to the driver's side.

However, disclaimer here, however you *properly* install and arrange your children in the back seat, as long as the seats are good and the children in them fit and are tight they'll be plenty safe.

Wendy

rodentranger

Huh. Good to know. My family makes fun of me because I'm always so excited to find out the most recent safety info and I'm a bit OC about it. DH, my mom and my SIL roll their eyes at me all the time.
I weighed DS at one of my midwife appointments and it said he was 27 lbs. I had just turned his seat ff when I weighed him on a postal scale (not at the PO) and it said he was 32.5 lbs. When the MW's scale said, 27, I turned the seat back around in the parking lot in all my pg glory...:whistle:
I spend hours and hours and hours researching car seats. I have a folder full of crash test studies on the desktop. I'm not even a tech and likely can't take the class until 2010. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC