Little Passenger Seats for SUVs

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
No, you can't use car seats on those since you can't install car seats on any seat that does not face the front of the vehicle.

Personally, I wouldn't use them at all.

vangelder03

the seats are designed to be forward facing or rear facing on most cars
so if you install it forward facing you can install car seats on it

Pixels

I don't know about those seats. They say they meet FMVSS, and that they are crash tested. But are there actually any standards for aftermarket seats? To me, it's kinda like most aftermarket carseat products, that claim they are crash tested or that they meet standards (but there really are no standards).

Stretchy Glue

A cargo area of an SUV or wagon is designed to be the crinkle zone of your car. If you put one of those seats in there, the passengers that use it are right there in the line of fire, so to speak.

Also, where do you put the seatbelts? Anytime you add seatbelts to a car, you are running a HUGE risk of them failing. Seatbelts are placed in very specific spots, anchored with just the right amount of torque, and to something very specific. Just drilling a hole in the floor of the car will not guarantee that a seatbelt will hold properly (or a seat for that matter) in a crash.

There are just too many unknowns to make me feel safe putting any passenger, let alone a child whom YOU are making decisions for back there.:twocents:

scootiemom

The seatbelts are attached to the seat itself so no separate attachment issues and it would be forward facing in the Tahoe. DH was looking at this as an option when we visit relatives and take his vehicle instead of my van. I'd rather just take my van but DH feels more comfortable on long trips with 4 wheel drive available. We'll take the van.

Stretchy Glue

The seatbelts are attached to the seat itself so no separate attachment issues and it would be forward facing in the Tahoe.

Even so, you are drilling into the floor. A seat or seatbelt should be anchored to something on the frame, not the sheet metal. If by chance you do find frame to drill into, you never know what drilling into the frame could do structurally. Just not worth it.

NannyMom

A cargo area of an SUV or wagon is designed to be the crinkle zone of your car. If you put one of those seats in there, the passengers that use it are right there in the line of fire, so to speak.

But some SUVs have an optional 3rd row I think. Like the Durango, and the ford explorer. So the back must not be part of the crumple zone..... :confused: My friends has an Explorer with no 3rd row, but the manual talks about some having a 3rd row.

Don't think I'd ever use those seats, but just playing devil's advocate :whistle:

Stretchy Glue

But some SUVs have an optional 3rd row I think. Like the Durango, and the ford explorer. So the back must not be part of the crumple zone..... :confused: My friends has an Explorer with no 3rd row, but the manual talks about some having a 3rd row.

Don't think I'd ever use those seats, but just playing devil's advocate :whistle:

Very true, but I know that the Envoys with a 3rd row are a different wheel base, therefore the standard Envoy is not meant for the 3rd seat. I kind of figure that if it didn't come with the seat, it wasn't meant to have it. SOME Tahoe's have a 3rd seat, but I'd venture a guess that those that do have a way of anchoring that 3rd seat to the frame. Those "aftermarket" 3rd seats may have been crash tested on a sled, but I doubt it's been tested in each individual SUV.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC