Question latch lookup 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara

U

Unregistered

Can latch anchors be used in the middle seat. Manual says something like "Latch may not be used in all 3 seats at the same time. You may use the latch for 2 or 1 child restraint.

So does this imply that you can use latch in the middle seat?

Thanks!!!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
That does seem to imply it. Unfortunately, I'm seeing contradictory info. in the LATCH manual (2007 edition) indicating the '06 Vitara and '06 Grand Vitara models have dedicated sets of lower LATCH anchors for the outboard rear seating positions only, and that Suzuki doesn't allow borrowing of the outboard anchors for a center lower LATCH anchor installation. Mind you the LATCH manual isn't always infallible, and a new edition of the LATCH manual is coming out in 2009 which may have updated info. about the Grand Vitara. In the meantime, you could try verifying with Suzuki directly that a center lower LATCH installation is allowable, and opt to use the seatbelt to install in the center. The other caveat is that the carseat manufacturer must also allow a center installation using the outboard lower LATCH anchors in cases where the vehicle manufacturer allows it.

FWIW, LATCH generally isn't considered any safer than a seatbelt installation, or vice versa, provided that you can achieve a proper install with less than 1" of movement at the carseat's belt path. It's also worth noting the LATCH manual indicates Suzuki does not state a lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit, in which case you would need to follow the LATCH installation weight limit specified by the carseat's instructions.

U

Unregistered

I figured as much, Just thought I would check if it was a possibility. Have no issued just using the seatbelt.

I appreciate you taking the time to look it up for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC