Questions questions questions, lol

herc

Ok, let me see if I can give background quickly! LOL. DH and I make VERY large kids. My 4.5 yr old is 4ft tall and 65lbs. My 15 month old is 3 feet tall and 33lbs. We just flipped my 15 month old forward facing abt a week ago due to his weight. He is in a latch installed tethered Marathon in our 2004 Ford freestar. My 4 yr old is in a tethered belt installed Husky in the van.

My dh used to take the older Ds out in his 1996 ford ranger on occasion, or in the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. We have 2 Huskies, and the other Husky was installed in the ranger. I hadn't taken it out in about a year (had checked the install, but it was in very securely), and when I took it out about 6 months ago, I realized it wasn't tethered, and in fact there is no tether point IN the ranger. I took it out then, and haven't reinstalled it. It won't fit in the ALero at all-- the belts are too short. We actually have the Alero on extended loan-- its owner has been in new Jersey for 2 years (we are in AL), and we are "storing" her car for her. Anyway, we were using a JUpiter Kroozer in the Alero, but my dad has claimed it for his truck, so I now need something I think for Liam to float back and forth between the ranger and the ALero, since the Husky wont fit properly in either of them. I was thinking about a Parkway-- is this the best choice?? Or should I try to get one of the other vehicles able to fit the Husky? This would only be very occasionaly btw, maybe 1-2 short trips to the store a week.

Ok, next question. SHould I sell the other Husky, or keep it for my very large 15 month old to start using in a few months? I moved Liam into the Husky about 2-2.5yrs I want to say. I think it was closer to 2.5 when he was finally in it fullime.

Third question. I have a terrible problem with older Ds undoing the chest clip on the Husky and slipping his arms out to get something off the floor or whatever. It seems this habit started when he started using a booster when riding with my dad. In the booster he has more freedom to move-- lean forward if he drops something or whatever, and I think he has just gotten used to it. Does anyone have ANY suggestions for this? He is a bit speech delayed I should add, but totally understands that he needs to stay in it-- if i see him all i have to say is get in your belt and he does immediately. He also puts it back on (sometimes remembering to click the chest clip sometimes forgetting) after he picks up whatever off the floor that he is going after. Would it be better for me to move him to a bob? safer than an improperly used seat???

lol sorry for so many questions. I typically am the person here averyone goes to for carseat installation help, so no on to relly quiz on the finer points of car seat use ;)
heather

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Maybe a moderator can move this to the Carseat questions board where you'll get more responses?

Ford might install a tether anchor for you to use in the truck -- call the manufacturer for details ;)

But, your 15 month old should still be rear facing until at least 30 pounds....

For the oldest, I would show him the crash test vidoes (maybe someone can share the link because I can't at the moment) & also if the harness is as tight as it should be he just won't be able to do anything other than unbuckle the chest clip -- so, work on showing him the reason for staying buckled safely & tigthen the harness up more.

You can also practice living room crash tests where you fling him forward improperly buckled so that falls out of the seat (explain how that might have caused him to hit his head & you want him safe because you love him), then do it with him properly buckled & celebrate that he stayed safely inside.

Lastly, in the vehicle, simply pull over if he unbuckles & let him figure out what to do to fix the situation, promising to cancel your plans if he does it again & then FOLLOW THROUGH.

herc

15 month old is 33lbs -- well over 30 :) the only reason we turned him is because he hit the seat limit.

older child--- straps are as tight as i can get them-- pulling with all of my body weight against the buckle--- the strap protectors are not even on the shoulders to give him any wiggle room-- he just knows how to slide the buckle down and unclasp it, then he wiggles out. He wouldnt fall out of the seat if it went forward-- his hips are still buckled in, its just the shoulder straps that he slips off.

i can't always cancel the plans-- it isnt always something fun for him that we are going to do. Sometimes it is driving to Pensacola to see my FIL, or taking him to school, or running 8 million errands. He isnt doing it to be bad-- he is simply noticing whatever that he wants, and instead of asking me for it, he slips out, gets it himself and slips back in (remember he is huge-- he can reach almost anything from a buckled in position if he slips out of the houlder harness).

thanks for your response. I am hoping that maybe its just something new that he has learned to do, and that the interest will fade.

herc

putting it into better perspective-- my kids are both an inch or two shorter than yours but outweigh them LOL. Simon is right at 36 in and 33lbs per the last ped visit, and liam is 49ish in and abt 65lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC