Anyone familiar with Volkswagen cars?

estelle0702

I was wondering if anyone knew the width of the Passat and Rabbit? I've read that a lot of people can do 3 across in a Jetta but I can't seem to find anyone that has tried it in either of those other cars. VW doesn't have their backseat width stats anywhere I look.

ADS

desiree_leigh

I've had older VWs (Golf, Passat, Jetta) and the only one I've accomplished 3 across in was my Passat - it was TIGHT tho and there were a lot of scraped knuckles. Newer VWs I have no idea. HTH!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've fit 3-across in our '01 Golf, but at least one Radian has to be in the mix.

Width measurements aren't usually very helpful when it comes to 3-across - there's too many other factors. Our Golf, for example, has contouring on the outer edges of the seat which make it nearly impossible to install a carseat on top of the contouring. The contouring removes an inch or two of overall width.

Are you looking to buy one of these cars, or looking to fit 3-across in one you've already got?

southpawboston

I was wondering if anyone knew the width of the Passat and Rabbit? I've read that a lot of people can do 3 across in a Jetta but I can't seem to find anyone that has tried it in either of those other cars. VW doesn't have their backseat width stats anywhere I look.

if people can do 3-across in a new jetta, then the same would apply to the rabbit. the rabbit is the same car as the jetta except it has a hatchback.

estelle0702

I've fit 3-across in our '01 Golf, but at least one Radian has to be in the mix.

Width measurements aren't usually very helpful when it comes to 3-across - there's too many other factors. Our Golf, for example, has contouring on the outer edges of the seat which make it nearly impossible to install a carseat on top of the contouring. The contouring removes an inch or two of overall width.

Are you looking to buy one of these cars, or looking to fit 3-across in one you've already got?

Looking to buy one. I really wanted a VW car. My sister has a Jetta and she absolutely loves it.

if people can do 3-across in a new jetta, then the same would apply to the rabbit. the rabbit is the same car as the jetta except it has a hatchback.
Are you sure about that? There is also a Jetta Sportwagen that looks very similar to the Rabbit. The Rabbit is cheaper so I hope you're right.:)

southpawboston

Are you sure about that? There is also a Jetta Sportwagen that looks very similar to the Rabbit. The Rabbit is cheaper so I hope you're right.:)

yep, i'm sure. the dimensions only differ starting behind the rear doors. trunk versus hatchback versus wagon. everything else is the same on these cars. the rabbit is cheaper because it has a shortened trunk area.

Defrost

Yeah, we've been really happy with our Golf, too. :)

I went and checked out some back-seat views of the Jetta and Rabbit. My thoughts, based purely on looking at the pics...

The Jetta seat bottoms are pretty flat, which is good, but the seatbacks have some contouring on the outboard sides that could steal some room. The center seating position looks like it could be tricky because of the buried buckle stalks - you're probably going to have to put a carseat there that will fit between them.

The Rabbit looks almost identical, except the buckle stalks aren't as recessed, which means you might have a better chance of shoving a carseat between them.

What are the ages & sizes of the kids, and are any rear-facing?

estelle0702

yep, i'm sure. the dimensions only differ starting behind the rear doors. trunk versus hatchback versus wagon. everything else is the same on these cars. the rabbit is cheaper because it has a shortened trunk area.
Woohoo! Thanks for the info. I should drag all my cars seats out and do some car seat tetris in my sister's Jetta.

Yeah, we've been really happy with our Golf, too. :)

I went and checked out some back-seat views of the Jetta and Rabbit. My thoughts, based purely on looking at the pics...

The Jetta seat bottoms are pretty flat, which is good, but the seatbacks have some contouring on the outboard sides that could steal some room. The center seating position looks like it could be tricky because of the buried buckle stalks - you're probably going to have to put a carseat there that will fit between them.

The Rabbit looks almost identical, except the buckle stalks aren't as recessed, which means you might have a better chance of shoving a carseat between them.

What are the ages & sizes of the kids, and are any rear-facing?

Thanks for checking them out! Because of certain events I don't have a car right now and have been using my mom's van. Oldest is 6 yrs, 57 lbs in a HB Turbobooster, middle is 3 yrs, 34 lbs in a FF Marathon, and youngest is 7 months, 19 lbs currently in a RF Avenue but when I get a car I will buy another seat for him since that one is my mom's seat.

I'm thinking if I get a Radian to FF for my 3 yr old, and RF the Marathon it would work. Then by the time my Marathon expires the 3 yr old will be in a booster or GN and I'll but the youngest in the Radian FF. I really wanted another Britax but I don't think I could possibly fit 2 Britaxs three across with a booster in any car.

TXAggieTech

I have done 3 across in a 99 Passat Wagon. One was RFing but the other 2 were FFing. It has been several years so I don't know what seats but that there was zero spare room. It was before I was a tech but I had the checked at a seat check.

Defrost

Thanks for checking them out! Because of certain events I don't have a car right now and have been using my mom's van. Oldest is 6 yrs, 57 lbs in a HB Turbobooster, middle is 3 yrs, 34 lbs in a FF Marathon, and youngest is 7 months, 19 lbs currently in a RF Avenue but when I get a car I will buy another seat for him since that one is my mom's seat.

I'm thinking if I get a Radian to FF for my 3 yr old, and RF the Marathon it would work. Then by the time my Marathon expires the 3 yr old will be in a booster or GN and I'll but the youngest in the Radian FF. I really wanted another Britax but I don't think I could possibly fit 2 Britaxs three across with a booster in any car.

You might have better luck than I did, since the vehicle seat is pretty flat in the Rabbit & Jetta, but I couldn't fit a Marathon and Radian side-by-side if one was RF. Both facing the same direction, they fit (because they overlap a bit.) I think you could fit a RF Radian and a FF Radian with a TB, though.

AlmostFive

I don't know if this will help or not, since I don't know how the passat seats compare to the jetta, but I can get three across in dh's '01 Passat with similar aged kids to yours. 7 month old outboard in SS1, 4 year old outboard in Graco Platinum Cargo and 6 year old center in backless fpsv. I think we also did it with a RF old style Triumph instead of the SS1.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC