Chicco Keyfit 30 legal in Canada?

datadump

Hello world. I'm going to be a first time daddy in May 2009 and I started looking at buying some gear. Among a whole lotta other research for other gear, I've been looking at which car seat to buy. I'm a newbie here so bear with me please.

Basically I narrowed it down to two products for car seat. The Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP and the Chicco Keyfit 30.

After narrowing it down, I realised that Chicco keyfit has two versions.... 22 vs 30lb version. I read somewhere in another forum that this is not approved for use in Canada but then it was an older 2007 forum posting.

Is this true still? I did notice that only the original keyfit (22lb) version was listed in the sticky in this forum..

thanks all.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We just have the KF22 in Canada. I love the seat.. Being a US tech, I've had a few installs with them now and I absolutely love the base and the seat design. I do find that most people (myself included) discontinue use of their infant seat (or at least stop lugging it around) at the 18-22lb mark anyways... Ideally children should never be transported in a carseat beyond JUST in the car (and in and out of the car)--never in a stroller because of the risk of plagiocephely.

I'd aim for a higher weighted infant seat if I knew I was going to have a child exceed their 22lb infant seat's limits in the winter and I lived in a cold climate..otherwise, I don't really think that the 30lb weight limit is a huge deal. It's a great added bonus and gives you some extra options but ...eh.. I really think it may encourage Canadian parents to go from an infant seat into a combo seat, and potentially too early--simply because the infant seat will get them beyond that 1 year mark. In that sense, 30lb infant seats aren't such a great thing afterall.

Are you really going to lug a 29-30'lber around in their infant seat still?

-Nicole.

BW1426

Also, the Peg seat isn't nearly as well loved by people as a whole around here as the Chicco. The Peg seat is rather over priced for what it offers and it is quite narrow and generally outgrown far before the Chicco would be. I also recall some issues with installing the Peg base, but I cannot recall what the exact issues were now. We really just don't see many of them and very few posters on this board own the Peg.

The Chicco is a dream to install and just all in all a very, very nice seat.

The Graco Safe Seat is also very nice and goes up to 30 lbs. Even if you don't want to use it as a bucket seat anymore, you could always leave it in the car and not tote it around.

datadump

thx for the quick replies.

so, is the answer to my question Keyfit30 is NOT LEGAL in canada?

ToysRUs sells the original 22lb version so i assume thats legal.

QuassEE

I'm not sure why.. Usually one of two reasons:

Either it was never tested for the Canadian market, due to a smaller market share and the expense of testing, certifying, stickering, translations, etc...

or

It was tested and didn't pass.

bubbaray

Correct. The KF30 is NOT legal in Canada. The KF22 is.

If you want a 30lb infant seat, the SS1 is still sold in Canada. IIRC, its being phased out in the US in favor of the SR30. No idea if that will come to Canada instead or when.

The SS1 is a nice seat. ITA with Nicole, though, neither of my kiddos liked the infant seat AT ALL and I moved DD#1 at 4m and DD#2 at 2m (and, honestly, I should have moved them sooner -- they both fit in MAs at birth).

HTH

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Yes, the Keyfit 30 is NOT legal in Canada. ;) More specifically, only carseats that are sold in Canada are legal in Canada - even if the same model is available in the U.S. (but you probably already realize that. :))

datadump

thanks.

i'm not specifically looking for the keyfit30... i just found some nice deals online for it.

i think i'll stick with the regular chicco keyfit

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
thanks.

i'm not specifically looking for the keyfit30... i just found some nice deals online for it.

Echoing what a poster above said, that even if the same seat is sold in the U.S. and Canada, the U.S. version of the seat is NOT legal in Canada, only the one sold in Canada is legal here. So, any U.S. baby shops are out for shopping at as they will only have the U.S. version of the seat. Thus, even the Keyfit 22 is illegal if bought from the U.S.

featherhead

thanks.

good choice :D I have one in waiting for April.
The best deal I've found in Canada was at tummiestotots.com. They sell it for $199 instead of $249. The shipping might take a little longer than some other places, but if you only need it by May you should be just fine:)

snowbird25ca

If you want a 30lb infant seat, the SS1 is still sold in Canada. IIRC, its being phased out in the US in favor of the SR30. No idea if that will come to Canada instead or when.

The SS1 is sold in Canada, but will be available as the SR 32 in the coming months. (I'm not sure when the changeover is coming, but I saw it in an info update.) I'm not sure if the weight limit will increase to 32lbs at the same time or not though.

(It's the SR32 in the US as well, with a 32lb rf'ing limit. :thumbsup: )

hipmaman

thanks.

I thought to mention if no one has, especially when you said that you have seen some good online deals...

Carseats that are legal for use in Canada are those that bear the national safety mark, CMVSS like the one in the picture below

186_8601.JPG

More info on why buy carseats in Canada can be found on the Transport Canada site here http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safedrivers/childsafety/notices/2007c09/menu.htm

Btw, congrats on your soon-to-be-first-time-daddy :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC