Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Chicco Keyfit 30 legal in Canada?

Hello world. I'm going to be a first time daddy in May 2009 and I started looking at buying some gear. Among a whole lotta other research for other gear, I've been looking at which car seat to buy. I'm a newbie here so bear with me please.

Basically I narrowed it down to two products for car seat. The Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP and the Chicco Keyfit 30.

After narrowing it down, I realised that Chicco keyfit has two versions.... 22 vs 30lb version. I read somewhere in another forum that this is not approved for use in Canada but then it was an older 2007 forum posting.

Is this true still? I did notice that only the original keyfit (22lb) version was listed in the sticky in this forum..

thanks all.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Re: Chicco Keyfit 30 legal in Canada?

We just have the KF22 in Canada. I love the seat.. Being a US tech, I've had a few installs with them now and I absolutely love the base and the seat design. I do find that most people (myself included) discontinue use of their infant seat (or at least stop lugging it around) at the 18-22lb mark anyways... Ideally children should never be transported in a carseat beyond JUST in the car (and in and out of the car)--never in a stroller because of the risk of plagiocephely.

I'd aim for a higher weighted infant seat if I knew I was going to have a child exceed their 22lb infant seat's limits in the winter and I lived in a cold climate..otherwise, I don't really think that the 30lb weight limit is a huge deal. It's a great added bonus and gives you some extra options but ...eh.. I really think it may encourage Canadian parents to go from an infant seat into a combo seat, and potentially too early--simply because the infant seat will get them beyond that 1 year mark. In that sense, 30lb infant seats aren't such a great thing afterall.

Are you really going to lug a 29-30'lber around in their infant seat still?

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

Also, the Peg seat isn't nearly as well loved by people as a whole around here as the Chicco. The Peg seat is rather over priced for what it offers and it is quite narrow and generally outgrown far before the Chicco would be. I also recall some issues with installing the Peg base, but I cannot recall what the exact issues were now. We really just don't see many of them and very few posters on this board own the Peg.

The Chicco is a dream to install and just all in all a very, very nice seat.

The Graco Safe Seat is also very nice and goes up to 30 lbs. Even if you don't want to use it as a bucket seat anymore, you could always leave it in the car and not tote it around.
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

thx for the quick replies.

so, is the answer to my question Keyfit30 is NOT LEGAL in canada?

ToysRUs sells the original 22lb version so i assume thats legal.

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

I'm not sure why.. Usually one of two reasons:

Either it was never tested for the Canadian market, due to a smaller market share and the expense of testing, certifying, stickering, translations, etc...

or

It was tested and didn't pass.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

Quote Originally Posted by datadump View Post
    Correct. The KF30 is NOT legal in Canada. The KF22 is.

If you want a 30lb infant seat, the SS1 is still sold in Canada. IIRC, its being phased out in the US in favor of the SR30. No idea if that will come to Canada instead or when.

The SS1 is a nice seat. ITA with Nicole, though, neither of my kiddos liked the infant seat AT ALL and I moved DD#1 at 4m and DD#2 at 2m (and, honestly, I should have moved them sooner -- they both fit in MAs at birth).

HTH
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Yes, the Keyfit 30 is NOT legal in Canada. More specifically, only carseats that are sold in Canada are legal in Canada - even if the same model is available in the U.S. (but you probably already realize that. )

thanks.

i'm not specifically looking for the keyfit30... i just found some nice deals online for it.

i think i'll stick with the regular chicco keyfit

thanks.

i'm not specifically looking for the keyfit30... i just found some nice deals online for it.

Echoing what a poster above said, that even if the same seat is sold in the U.S. and Canada, the U.S. version of the seat is NOT legal in Canada, only the one sold in Canada is legal here. So, any U.S. baby shops are out for shopping at as they will only have the U.S. version of the seat. Thus, even the Keyfit 22 is illegal if bought from the U.S.

thanks.

good choice I have one in waiting for April.
    The best deal I've found in Canada was at tummiestotots.com. They sell it for $199 instead of $249. The shipping might take a little longer than some other places, but if you only need it by May you should be just fine

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    If you want a 30lb infant seat, the SS1 is still sold in Canada. IIRC, its being phased out in the US in favor of the SR30. No idea if that will come to Canada instead or when.
    The SS1 is sold in Canada, but will be available as the SR 32 in the coming months. (I'm not sure when the changeover is coming, but I saw it in an info update.) I'm not sure if the weight limit will increase to 32lbs at the same time or not though.

(It's the SR32 in the US as well, with a 32lb rf'ing limit. )
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Thanks Trudy -- I was never good at math! Yes, that's the seat I was thinking of....
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Moderator - CPST Instructor

thanks.

I thought to mention if no one has, especially when you said that you have seen some good online deals...

Carseats that are legal for use in Canada are those that bear the national safety mark, CMVSS like the one in the picture below

More info on why buy carseats in Canada can be found on the Transport Canada site here http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safed...07c09/menu.htm

Btw, congrats on your soon-to-be-first-time-daddy
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007