Question 3 boosters in a row

U

Unregistered

Another question from me.

I have a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I have two kids and we use the Monterey Boosters for them, which are great.

Question is when we have an extra kid with us (which seems to happen really often).

I can fit 3 boosters across just fine, but the problem is actually buckling them. This probably isn't safe, but I'm wondering if there is some sort of seatbelt "extender" for the female part of the buckle - so that the female part pokes out a bit more and I can actually buckle these kids up without smashing my hands between very tight booster seats? I'm guessing that no such thing exists, but I thought I'd ask, just in case! :)

Thanks!
Anna

ADS
B

Boeing Nut

Buckle extensions..

Greetings! A question, but first some background. Our kids have reached the size/weight criteria where we can remove the five point harness from their seats. The seat itself remains attached using the vehicles latch system. The problem we have encountered is that it is a pain in the you know what to buckle them in. They can't quite do it themselves and we have to literally climb over them to latch into the vehicles buckle. I understand that it's a no-no to put an extension on the buckle portion of the restraint, but is there some sort of an extension that could be used? Or is this something that we are just going to have to "buck up" and tolerate?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Maggie

Re: Buckle extensions..

Could you tell us your children's ages and weight? Also, what seats are they in? I don't know of any combo boosters (which is what your seats sound like) that can be continue to be attached via latch while in booster mode.

Also, adding anyting to a seatbelt is a no no. There is no aftermarket product that anyone will be able to recommend.

If we know your childrens ages/weight/height we could possibly suggest some new seats that will make buckling easier.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member

Even if you could find a buckle extension, it would make the shoulder belt not fit correctly, therefore you wouldn't be able to use it.

Your easiest solution will probably be to fine a high weight harnessed seat to use. Children can usually buckle themselves into a harnessed seat more easily than they can a booster seat.

Jan06twinmom

Depending on the age and size of your children, they might be safer in a 5pt harness car seat - which you already figured out is often easier to buckle. Unfortunately, many of the combination car seats that go from a 5pt harness seat to a booster seat are outgrown before children are big or mature enough to safely sit in a booster seat.

If/when your children are ready for a booster, there are definitely some that are narrower and easier to put goether. I just bought my neice a new car seat this weekend - to replace one that was 9 years old and expired! I found that it was so difficult to buckle her into the expired car seat, but my mom remarked the new narrower booster seat was much easier to buckle in.

Let us know more details about your children and someone here can definitely point you in the right direction.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
For 3-across boosters, especially since it's only an occasional issue, there is a trick you can use.

1. Have the two outboard kids buckle before you put the middle booster in.
2. Set the middle booster on the seat, but a few inches forward, so there's a gap between the back of the booster and the vehicle seat.
3. Have the child sit in the booster, and you or the child will have room to reach behind him and buckle the seat belt.
4. Then just push the booster into the correct position, and tighten the seat belt. :thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

Greetings! A question, but first some background. Our kids have reached the size/weight criteria where we can remove the five point harness from their seats. The seat itself remains attached using the vehicles latch system. The problem we have encountered is that it is a pain in the you know what to buckle them in. They can't quite do it themselves and we have to literally climb over them to latch into the vehicles buckle. I understand that it's a no-no to put an extension on the buckle portion of the restraint, but is there some sort of an extension that could be used? Or is this something that we are just going to have to "buck up" and tolerate?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

what harnessed boosters are you talking about? Only the Nautilus, Frontier, and Graco Cargo Boosters allow you to use latch while it is in booster mode.

how old are these kids?? because if they can't buckle themselves, they likely aren't ready for boosters.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC