Question booster in mexico?

U

Unregistered

Hi! We are going to Mexico shortly with our two kids for a week - one is 8 and is 4'7" and 80#. The other one is 4 1/2. We are not renting a car - we plan to mostly just walk and take the bus, but may occasionally take a taxi.

Here's a question - what do I do for booster seats? In our cars at home, I have the Sunshine Kids Monterey (which is awesome, but I'm not lugging that around - they are huge).

Do taxis in Mexico typically even have seatbelts? Is my 8 year old big/old enough to maybe just not use the booster on this trip? Of course at home I will keep him in the booster for as long as he fits, but just for the issue of how much stuff we have to lug around, do I *NEED* a booster seat for him? Seems really yucky to have to lug around a booster seat all day if we take a taxi somewhere in the morning and return in the evening by taxi.

And for our daughter, who is 4 1/2 (and 60#), maybe just a backless booster?

I'm having a hard time balancing what is super-safe vs what is reasonable for lugging around, so I'd very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks a ton!
Anna

ADS

Maedze

A child who is 4'7" is very unlikely to pass the 5 step test in most vehicles. I wouldn't chance not having a booster. I would definitely pack a backless for him. As for the 4 year old, I would purchase and use a RSTV rather than a backless booster. A high back booster is also a potential option, but the RSTV is probably quite a bit easier to port about all day.

U

Unregistered

Does anyone know whether most taxis in Mexico will have seatbelts? Thanks a ton!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A child who is 4'7" is very unlikely to pass the 5 step test in most vehicles. I wouldn't chance not having a booster. I would definitely pack a backless for him. As for the 4 year old, I would purchase and use a RSTV rather than a backless booster. A high back booster is also a potential option, but the RSTV is probably quite a bit easier to port about all day.

I was going to suggest RSTVs for both of them. Then there's almost nothing to lug. Just throw them in a backpack. (They'd fit in a backpack, wouldn't they?)

Does anyone know whether most taxis in Mexico will have seatbelts? Thanks a ton!

I would imagine so. They might not necessarily have locking retractors, but I would think they'd at least have seatbelts. If not, you're out of luck anyway, but if they do, at least you'll be prepared.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Are you going to Mexico City? I have visited there a few times, although it's been a while. I seem to recall the taxi's having seat belts but my memory is a bit sketchy!!

One thing I will say is that I would not go without a booster seat!! The driving there is NUTS. While I'm not a huge fan of a backless for a 4 year old, I'd be tempted to take a backless for both kids. It really depends on what is more important. The vest would be much easier to carry around but more difficult to install quickly in a taxi.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Not to mention a tether is required for some kids and some installations, and there's no guarantee that taxis would have a place to tether. I might bring both-- a vest in case you could use it, and a backless in case you can't. Better than nothing. Of course if you end up in a cab with lap belts only you're out of luck (though that's still better than no belts at all.)

mommy2env

Most taxis do have some type of belt, but I doubt your 8 yr old would fit properly. The driving in pretty much all parts of Mexico is reckless. Its a dangerous place, most drivers think they own the roads.

The last time we went to Mexico, we rented a van and I bought a Compass booster for my 8 yr old. I was SOOOO glad I did.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Not to mention a tether is required for some kids and some installations, and there's no guarantee that taxis would have a place to tether. I might bring both-- a vest in case you could use it, and a backless in case you can't. Better than nothing. Of course if you end up in a cab with lap belts only you're out of luck (though that's still better than no belts at all.)

The RSTV only requires a tether when using a lap-only belt (I'm pretty sure). If there's only a lap belt, they can't use a booster, either.

Adventuredad

I've been to Mexico 40+ times and love the looks we get when we unpack the Swedish rf seats at the airport and install them in our car:D

"Sir, Sir, you have installed your seats the wrong way. The children must travel the other way!!":D:D

Where in Mexico will you be?

Anyway, there are many different taxis available. Many in Mexico City are still bochitos, the old VW Beetle (see below). They usually don't have seat belts. Most other taxis are Nissan Tsuru (see below) and do have seat belts. But you can never count on it. A driver might have disabled them or hidden them below seat since seat belts are for wimps down there....

Bring your boosters and use them as often as you can. If a taxi doesn't have a seat belt, simply step out and choose another one. My kids never travel without seats down there (or anywhere else).

Let me know if you have more specific questions, I know the country very well.

whitejerabias

Depends on where you go. I've traveled to Mexico many times, always to different areas in the state of Oaxaca and have never worn a seat belt. DD and I just came back on the 23rd actually. She was in a taxi twice. On the ride from the airport there were no seat belts at all. On the ride to the airport there was one seat belt in the back, but no buckle to click it into. That's if you're riding in taxis. The transportation most readily available where I go is a collectivo. Basically a pick up truck with a frame built onto the bed to transport as many people as can possibly be stuffed into the back. The driving is pretty scary too. Be prepared for no traffic lights or cops, but a million speed bumps. Have a great time. I love Mexico.

ETA: For what it's worth, I did not bring any kind of child restraint other than baby carriers and am perfectly secure in my decision. I wore her in my ergo during the taxi rides. When in Rome... ya know?

Kat_Momof3

I would just take the backs off of the Monterey boosters and take the bases... and I agree with Adventuredad... find out about the taxis available and don't take one unless it has seatbelts.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've been to Mexico 40+ times and love the looks we get when we unpack the Swedish rf seats at the airport and install them in our car:D

"Sir, Sir, you have installed your seats the wrong way. The children must travel the other way!!":D:D

:D

I read this en Español and it made me :ROTFLMAO:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC