Who Goes Where?

Naomi's-Momma

I just got a Nautilus for Clayton(5 years. my nephew) and I have a Baby Trend Flex-Loc for Abby(28 days old. Clay's sister). So these stay in my car most of the time. Clay is living with me and Abby is with us a lot.

I drive a Chevy Tahoe. it has a lap belt in the middle. it has a big backseat but I can't get the seats to fit together and I'm going to have to pick up Beth(10 years. my niece) some for the next few weeks(her sitter quit).

So should I let Beth ride in the lap belt in the back or the front seat?. or should Clay ride in the front in the Nautilus?

Thanks.

ADS

Pixels

Will you be driving both Abby and Beth at the same time? The FlexLoc is soooo easy to install, if you won't have both of them at the same time, I'd put the FlexLoc in the trunk and have Beth ride outboard in the back seat.

Can Beth squeeze in the middle back there? I'm not sure how much room you have. Statistics say it is safer for kids to ride in lap belt only in the back seat, even without a head rest, than it is to ride front seat with lap-shoulder belt.

Unless Beth is tall and heavy (5'2", 100+ pounds), if you need to have one up front, the rule is that the biggest FFing harnessed kid goes up front with the seat pushed as far back as it can go. Never ever put a RFing kid in front of an airbag. The harness ensures 100% that the child will not be out of position at the moment of a crash. Which means you may be getting very good at installing the GN, very soon, as you move it from the back to the front and back again. Since in this scenario you will need the front seat moved all the way back, put the FlexLoc behind the driver's seat (if you can).

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm surprised you can't get those two seats next to each other. The Tahoe has an enormous backseat, and usually three-across is no problem, especially with something relatively thin like the Flex-Lock.

Have you tried reversing their order? Have you tried both outboard positions?

Do you have LATCH, and are you using it? Sometimes you get more room to play with if you use seatbelts instead.

I would try very hard to get all three kids in the back before putting anyone up front.

Does the 10-year-old pass the 5-step test?

I would most likely put the child in the Nautilus up front.

Naomi's-Momma

Yeah I've tried them both in the middle and on both sides. Right now Clay is behind the driver seat and Abby is behind the passenger seat. the Tahoe is a late 90s so no Latch. I only have it because my car died at this beginning of last month and my SIL traded me this one.

I don't know. maybe I'm doing something wrong. but I can't get them to fit next to each other.

Beth(70lbs, about 5ft) can fit in the middle so I guess she can ride there. I might not have her and Abby at the same time but I don't know.

If I have to I thank I will put Clay up front. I just hate to then He'll wanna ride there all the time:rolleyes:

Thanks!

cpsaddict

Well, I would NEVER, EVER let anyone ride in a lap belt only. I would put Clayton in the front in the harnessed seat and let Beth have the outboard lap/shoulder belt. I am simply not comfortable with anyone riding in a lap belt. To much chance of abdominal injuries and whiplash.

Maggie

FIL has a Tahoe, the backseats are huge! Is there any chance you could get to a tech to have them help? I just can't imagine that you can't get those 2 seats next to each other.

I would NEVER put anyone in just a lapbelt. I'd rather the harnessed child be in the front and allow the 10 year old to have the l/s belt. Lap only belts are dangerous for anyone except children using to the belt to strap in their harnessed seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you put the infant seat in without the base when you have her? That might solve them puzzling next to each other, sometimes an inch or two here and there makes a big difference.

NannyMom

I think the Tahoe was the SUV I tried a 3 across for someone and failed. The problem I was running into was I couldn't move the outboard seats out closer to the door because the edges of thes eats (both back and bottom) angled up/out. Also, the tire well was in the way on the back of the seat. SO even though it was a huge back seat, parts of it were useless. The only way I could have seen it working would be with radians.

Naomi's-Momma

Thanks again. I called Clay's mom and I thank we worked out what to do. I'll just drop Abby off with her or her mother on my way to get Beth. they live right by the school then I'll pick her up on my way back.

I'll also try the seat baseless to see if that helps. I really don't want anyone in the lap belt, I'm getting a new car as soon as I can.

Hopefully my sister will find a new sitter soon. She knew the old one was quitting at the end of the year:mad:.

If worse comes to worse I can always put Clay in the Turbo booster. but I just love having him harassed.

Some times I wish my family would take care of their own children....

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
How big is Clay? If he's over 40 lbs and you have a Turbobooster, I think that would be a great option. You could put the Flex Loc in the middle lap belt, Turbooster on one side with the lap/shoulder belt and have the 10 yr old on the other side. I understand the desire to have a 5 yr old harnessed, but I'd feel fine using the TB temporarily, unless he's under 40 lbs.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree with the pp. If the choices are: 10yo in lap belt in back, 10yo in front, 5yo harnessed in front, or 5yo in hbb and lap/shoulder belt -- I'd choose 5yo in hbb. Easily.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... the backseat is that much safer and a shoulderbelt essential that I'd put the 5yr old in a booster rather than put a 10yr old in a labelt, a 10yr old in front, or a harnessed child up front.

Kat_Momof3

oh... and this is just a little thing throw out there... can you get a ride safer vest and have one top tether anchor retrofitted in the middle seating position??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC