What booster?

mommyto4

What HBB would be wider in the seat area than the Cosco Ambassador? DS is 8 1/2. He has autism. Currently he is in the backless booster. He is a big boy and his backside barely fits. I would really rather have him in a highback booster, but don't know which one. He is too tall for the Turbobooster so it would definitely need to be taller than that. TIA

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The Cosco Prospect has one of the widest (if not THE widest) seating area, but I'm not sure of the measurements or how it compares to the Ambassador.

Unfortunately, while it does come in a HBB version, I doubt it's tall enough for an 8 year old.

mommyto4

The Frontier is what I was thinking. I have never really seen one IRL though. Is it wide? I would probably have to wait until the end of Jan. or early Feb. for a Frontier though. Not the end of the world since he does still fit (barely) in the Ambassador.

The HB Prospect is not tall enough and is tight through his shoulders. I love the backless version though. If I can't find a HB that will work, I would probably get a backless Prospect. If I can find one.

He has outgrown the Husky (by weight and height). Plus it expired the end of November.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mommyto4

Oh, the other thing I was wondering is, how tall is the Apex? Would it possibly work? I'm sure the Frontier would be a nicer choice, but if I can't get DH to go for it (because of the price) would the Apex be an option?

emandbri

The prospect is hard to find. If you need measurements though I have one.

Even if you could find one I'm not sure if it is the best option though because it sits very low and it might not help with the shoulder belt. The shoulder belt on my son's still doesn't fit him right with it but other then buying a frontier for a 12 year old I don't have any options.

The combi dokota is wide, maybe that would work.

The frontier is very wide, there are pictures of moms in it here somewhere! lol

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I have a Frontier in my garage hiding - waiting for my ds's birthday in early February.

If you tell me the exact measurements you need, I can get them for you.

The only thing I am not willing to do is remove the screw to adjust it to the tallest booster position, though I think there are posts here that say it adjusts to 23?? inches at the tallest belt guide booster position.

Defrost

Yes, from what has been posted, the Frontier is currently the tallest booster available. Not sure about the seat width, though after seeing it I wouldn't be surprised if it was also one of the widest available.

mommyto4

Thanks guys. I'm starting to think the Frontier is our best option. I have seen one in USA Baby, but didn't really look at it much because I thought it was just too much $$ for just the booster part. I just don't know now if anything else is going to work. We usually get our tax refund the end of Jan. or early Feb. so I'll probably end up taking DS to USA Baby and checking how he fits. Gypsy, If you could just measure the seat (between the arm rests) That would be great. I guess it wouldn't be a total waste because once DS outgrows it, I could sell it of save it for my granddaughter. Do you happen to know how hard it would be to replace the screw and harness later on?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Defrost was here earlier and we played around with both of them.

Here are pics

frontmont1.jpg

frontmont2.jpg

frontmont3.jpg

At the very back, the Monterey is 9.5 inches, I forgot to measure towards the front, but I'll do that in a little while and edit this post.

At the very back, the Frontier is 12 inches wide, from the red piping to the red piping at the widest part it's 17 inches.

Kat_Momof3

the apex requires a headrest, so while it goes super tall as a booster (though not as tall as the frontier), you have to make sure you'll have the head support for it... basically, it is outgrown the way a backless is.

BUT... it's super wide.... so width would NOT be a problem.

Now, for wide and lots of height, I'm gonna say the Frontier or the Monterey... not sure which is wider in the seat... the Monterey expands in the side wings, but the frontier goes taller... a good bit taller.

both are latchable, but you can latch AND tether in the frontier.

mommy2env

So, let me get this straight. The Frontier is wider, but the Monterey is deeper?

My dd has the Monterey, and loves the cup holders. lol

Defrost

The Frontier is considerably wider. As in - I nearly fit in it, and I'm not small. I tried it last night (knocked over the Monterey in the process... Oops, sorry Gypsy!) and was able to sort of "cram" my fat hips in.

Keeping in mind that's just width-wise, because we didn't have it in booster mode, but I'm just confirming what others have already posted - if any booster is going to fit your son, it's going to be this one.

mommyto4

Thanks everyone!!! Hopefully my tax refund will get here early and I will take DS to USA Baby to try them out. I do have a headrest for him so I might try the Apex as well. Thanks again. I'll let you know what I decide on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC