Avenue Review?

firemomof3

I was just looking in the car seat reviews and it seems that no one has done a review on the Avenue? I just got one and HATE the harness adjustor :mad: Its almost inaccessable when installed rf, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

ADS

jka1217

I had compared it to the Uptown in this thread, but haven't done a review on it yet. I still might, but I actually ended up returning the seat because I never used it and it was taking up space.

However, the adjuster on the Avenue makes me a little mad. I was excited when I saw the first pictures and saw the access flap up higher that maybe they had moved the adjuster up from where it was on the Uptown. Nope, the adjuster is still just as low, but now the access flap is up higher and skinnier. You can see the difference between the access when installed in my car in the pictures below:

DSCN1780.jpg
DSCN1779.jpg

DSCN1544.jpg
DSCN1543.jpg

Since it was fairly low and somewhat hard to access when installed, I usually didn't do much harness adjusting. I would just take her in and out and only make minor adjustments when needed.

firemomof3

Those are great comparison photos! So, would you say that the Scenera's adjustor would be very similar if not the same as the avenue's?
I also have to take pictures of rf leg room in the avenue & signo. I kinda thought the avenue would give my 3.5y/o some more leg room but it doesn't, its the same as the signo :confused:
But I don't completly hate the avenue, just a little ;)

NannyMom

I have an Uptown (very very similar to the Avenue) and a Scenera. I think the Scenera adjustor is easier to access and easier to use. My parents are the ones using both seats and they like the Scenera better as well. I will soon be replacing their Uptown with a Scenera (until I buy them a TF or Blvd). Not sure if I should sell the uptown or keep it because of the shell height :confused:

jka1217

You know, it's been a while since I had the Scenera installed RF and I don't think I have any pictures of it installed. But I know that the adjuster sits up higher on the Scenera (see picture below of the Uptown and Scenera) and I think because of the foot on the front of the Scenera, it puts the adjuster back a little from the vehicle seat.

DSCN1514.jpg

I know what you mean about the Avenue. I don't hate it, but I just found I don't like it as much as I liked my Uptown. Maybe if I had actually used it, it would grow on me, but I'm not sure.

NannyMom - The Uptown will last you longer than the Scenera, I previously had measured about 2" more shell height in the Uptown.

Brycen'sMommy

I was just looking in the car seat reviews and it seems that no one has done a review on the Avenue? I just got one and HATE the harness adjustor :mad: Its almost inaccessable when installed rf, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

I returned one for the same problem. It was awful. I talked about my issues with it in this thread.

firemomof3

Ya, and we so often recommend this seat :eek: But really, there's only the scenera & uptown besides the avenue to recommend in that price range right?

jka1217

Yes, that is pretty much it in that price range. For the $79.99 (or less because they tend to go on sale every few weeks), you get decently high harness slots, a tall shell, a fairly narrow seat, and EPP foam, it's just that darn harness adjuster I have the problem with.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I played with the Avenue for the first time a few days ago when I was at Sears and I was very annoyed by the access flap (to the harness adjuster) on the cover. It's like they're trying to deceive you and make you think they moved the adjuster mechanism up higher.

The placement of the adjuster mechanism was the biggest issue with the Uptown. It's too low and that often makes it very difficult to reach when the seat is installed rf. Not always - it really depends on the contour of the vehicle seat, whether or not you're using noodles, how many noodles, etc. But it's much worse than the Scenera IMO. I almost never have problems with access to a rf Scenera adjuster.

Initially it appears that the Avenue is better in this department but they actually made it worse. Now, because the hole in the cover doesn't line up with the adjuster mechanism (at all), it's actually harder to access rf and now it's hard to access when it's ff too. If you cut a bigger hole in your cover - you could make it easy to reach at least when it's ff but who wants to do that? I just don't understand what they were thinking when they changed the Uptown cover for the Avenue.

The interesting thing with both shells (Uptown and Avenue) is that there is actually an oval-shaped cutout already there which could be a perfect location to mount the adjuster mechanism. I don't know why they don't use that location instead. I've attached a pic from my cell phone. View attachment 3475

Kecia

NannyMom

NannyMom - The Uptown will last you longer than the Scenera, I previously had measured about 2" more shell height in the Uptown.

I know the Uptown/ Avenue have a taller shell than the Scenera, that's one of the reasons I bought it. But, I'm yet to be thrilled with it. It's about to come out of Grandpa's car, so it'll be just 1 more seat sitting in the closet.

christineka

I have the avenue and like it. Once I figured out where the harness adjuster was located, I've never had a problem locating it when I needed it. I do keep the seat at an angle and the vehicles' seat backs are cushy enough that I can easily fit my fingers in there. For $75 I never expected anything fancy. I like the eps foam and the 16 inch tall harness straps. There is no other convertible seat like it that you can purchase for such a price.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC