She turned him :(

Splash

I was all excited that I thought I had gotten through to my SIL to leave Zachary rear facing.

Nope. I looked in her car yesterday, and not only is he FF in the front seat, but she took back the Boulevard and bought an EB 3n1. Her husband (who lives in Germany) didn't like the way the Britax looked, and eddie bauer is 'cool' so he told her to get that.

I mentioned it to her, and she said it was much better this way, and just as safe, because she drives a truck. Apparently, in her mind, rear facing is only for cars. I told her she was dead wrong, but she says she knows these things and she's researched it he is safer FF. Plus he's sooooo much happier now he says. Whatever. Besides, he's 'almost' 20 pounds (18), and 'almost' a year old (7 months).

Her mom did ask me just to make sure it was tight. I refused. I was really torn on it... I mean, if I did it, at least I would know it was a secure install and as safe as he can be FF. But i washed my hands of it. I will not help her do this. Although during dinner I did go out there and at least lock the seatbelt. I didn't tether it, because I know she would know I had messed with it. But it was sooo loose and the seatbelt wasn't locked and the straps were so loose I know he's just falling out of it.

Oh well. I tried. This isn't the first stupid thing she's done to him, and it won't be the last. It'll be a miracle if that kid lives to grade school.

I am so depressed. And she's expecting another one in 6.5 months... which leaves no doubt in my mind that once that baby is out of the snugride, Zach goes into a booster, or worse. She's already said she's not having two carseats in her car.

ADS

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Why do people have children if they are not concerned about their safety. Is she concerned that two car seats in her car might not look cool and rear facing is just too inconvenient? I have four children and have had at least two car seats in my car non stop for 14 years now. It is not a matter of what is convenient or cool for the parent it is a matter of safety for the children. I just don't understand some people.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ugh, how insanely dangerous and sad for her baby (babies soon, yikes) and frustrating for you as their aunt. With all the safety info. presented to her and encouraged, to think she would opt to ignore it anyway and switch seats around over how a seat looks in her truck, etc., is incomprehensible to me. :(

Ali

I do NOT understand this! I have a friend with an almost 4 yo DD, almost 2 yo DD, and another one on the way. She says there is no way she is going to have 3 carseats in her car at one time! (Her 4 yo weighs less than her 2 yo!)

Then why did she choose to have 3 kids in 4 years??? (and yes - they were all planned!)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's sad. First of all, on EB seats, baby has to weigh 22# to ff. I would at least tell her to tether it, that will at least help if they are in a crash to hopefully keep her son from dying of a broken neck. Sad, very sad. My oldest is only 3 and we're on #3, but even before the van, I knew they'd all fit in my car (even w/ 2 rfing) and if they didn't we'd have gotten something else or not gone anywhere I guess. I'll never understand not caring about your kids.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
There are so many things wrong with this -- how depressing :( I'm so sorry ... if it's illegal in your state (RF law or proper use clause) I wouldn't hesitiate to call her in everytime I see her driving him :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC