Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

do all seats rear facing have to be 1.5 inches from front seats?

I am considering a Britax BLVD for my 15 month old and I read on another thread that the infant carriers with the handle down must be 1.5 inches from front seat. My infant carrier is 30 inches with the handle down....Britax told me to allow30 inches to RF the BLVD because it had to be fully reclined. My infant carrier touches my front seats at 30 inches so I'm not sure if I can do the BLVD.
    Anyone with a Chevy Silverado and a BLVD....PLEASE HELP!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: do all seats rear facing have to be 1.5 inches from front seats?

Only Evenflo infant seats require 1.5 inches of clearance behind the front vehicle seat.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Yep. Also, for a 15 month old, while you would install it in "recline mode" rearfacing, you do not have to install it at a 45 degree angle. It can be more upright than that. It is also okay for the carseat to touch the seat in front of it, unless your vehicle's manuel says otherwise. Some vehicles have headrests that don't allow it.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Good point about the vehicle also needing to allow the carseat to touch the front seat. Touching/bracing is not allowed in some vehicles due to interfering with the sensors for advanced frontal airbags. The vehicle manual would indicate if touching/bracing isn't allowed. It has to be allowed by both the carseat manufacturer and the vehicle manufacturer.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

My SIL's EFT (not Advance) required one inch between the top of the shell and the vehicle seatback. So you just have to check the carseat manual for that info. Also check vehicle manual because of the airbag sensors as PPs have said. MOST carseats do not require space.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixels99 View Post
    My SIL's EFT (not Advance) required one inch between the top of the shell and the vehicle seatback.
    Are you sure about that? I just looked through the manual and I didn't see anything about that.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post
    Are you sure about that? I just looked through the manual and I didn't see anything about that.
    That is what I remember reading in her manual. This was over a year ago, though, so I could be wrong. Or maybe I misinterpreted it at the time. Does the manual have the one inch rule in it (seat is outgrown RFing when there is less than one inch of hard shell above the child's head)? If it is, depending how it is worded, I can see how I might have misinterpreted that. I was carseat savvy enough to read the manual and follow its directions, but not the total nut I am now so I didn't know about things like the one inch rule.