do all seats rear facing have to be 1.5 inches from front seats?

momma2three

I am considering a Britax BLVD for my 15 month old and I read on another thread that the infant carriers with the handle down must be 1.5 inches from front seat. My infant carrier is 30 inches with the handle down....Britax told me to allow30 inches to RF the BLVD because it had to be fully reclined. My infant carrier touches my front seats at 30 inches so I'm not sure if I can do the BLVD.
Anyone with a Chevy Silverado and a BLVD....PLEASE HELP!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Only Evenflo infant seats require 1.5 inches of clearance behind the front vehicle seat.

natysr

Yep. Also, for a 15 month old, while you would install it in "recline mode" rearfacing, you do not have to install it at a 45 degree angle. It can be more upright than that. It is also okay for the carseat to touch the seat in front of it, unless your vehicle's manuel says otherwise. Some vehicles have headrests that don't allow it.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Good point about the vehicle also needing to allow the carseat to touch the front seat. Touching/bracing is not allowed in some vehicles due to interfering with the sensors for advanced frontal airbags. The vehicle manual would indicate if touching/bracing isn't allowed. It has to be allowed by both the carseat manufacturer and the vehicle manufacturer.

Pixels

My SIL's EFT (not Advance) required one inch between the top of the shell and the vehicle seatback. So you just have to check the carseat manual for that info. Also check vehicle manual because of the airbag sensors as PPs have said. MOST carseats do not require space.

Pixels

Are you sure about that? :confused: I just looked through the manual and I didn't see anything about that.
That is what I remember reading in her manual. This was over a year ago, though, so I could be wrong. Or maybe I misinterpreted it at the time. Does the manual have the one inch rule in it (seat is outgrown RFing when there is less than one inch of hard shell above the child's head)? If it is, depending how it is worded, I can see how I might have misinterpreted that. I was carseat savvy enough to read the manual and follow its directions, but not the total nut I am now :p so I didn't know about things like the one inch rule.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC