OMG I surely learned my lesson....

I hope this thread doesnt get moved anywhere else. I dont know where else to post it and I had to get this off my chest to you ladies....
As you may know, I bought Evan a new Britax Marathon off EBay. I got it and its nice. Evan is 14 almost 15 months and and initially I had installed the seat RF like you know, I posted the pics. Well Evan wasnt very happy in his new seat at all. His legs were kind of cramped and he was not a happy camper. So anyways with the holiday coming up and all the driving we were going to do, I switched the seat back to FF. It was such a rock solid instal, I LOVED it and Evan was such a happy little clam being FF I left it as it was.
Anyways I had an eye opener conversation with my stepmom (who thinks its totally fine to FF now) She told me this story of a very good friend of her's. Her friends son had a wife, a 6 year old stepdaughter and an 18 month old little girl who was his biological daughter. Anyways they were driving on a highway (the husband was not in the car) and on the other side of the freeway was a company van transporting special needs adults. Anyways apparently the driver was changing lanes and somehow lost control and over corrected herself and she went over to the other side of the oncoming traffic and hit head on to there car. The mother and 6 year old died instantly and the baby girl who was 18 months old and was in her carseat was pushed all the way back to the rear of the car. She did survive. It was touch and go for so long but you know what? She has brain damage now! I guess her brain was jostled all about in the crash and now she has brain damage. The doctors said she will never be normal. she will always be slow at things and cannot live alone when she grows older....OMG!!! So I was telling my stepmom (I was quiet for awhile) that once we stop this car, Evan is going back to be RF! I know from just hearing this tragic story its enough for me to think twice or maybe three times to keep my little guy RF for way longer! I dont know what I was thinking before?? So stupid!! But my stepmom was more worried about facial deformaties and broken noses, etc. I was like well thats better than a fricken broken neck or brain damage, isnt it????
So thanks for reading thus far and hearing my story. It was very tragic and I know better now. I knew better before as well, but just hearing this story put me in check!!!
I remember when Sarah turned one, it was like part of her Birthday to turn her around. There was no question in my mind that her being FF was the way to go. But like I said, after hearing that story.....No thank you!!!
He is back again in his Safeseat!!!! He HATES the Britax being RF and its now stored in my closet!!

ADS

natysr

Lots of parents really feel that if they are safe drivers, then their kids will be safe. In reality, we cannot control the actions of everyone on the road.

I was lucky. I was luck that I knew about extended rearfacing when I had my bad accident. Jordan was 22 months old and still rearfacing in his roundabout. He was not injured. I had two broken feet. But he was fine!

If I were you, I would list the Marathon on Craig's List and then try out the True Fit. It provides more leg room and is very comfy. You can go to babies r us and try it in your car.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I hope this thread doesnt get moved anywhere else. I dont know where else to post it and I had to get this off my chest to you ladies....

As you may know, I bought Evan a new Britax Marathon off EBay. I got it and its nice. Evan is 14 almost 15 months and and initially I had installed the seat RF like you know, I posted the pics.

Well Evan wasnt very happy in his new seat at all. His legs were kind of cramped and he was not a happy camper. So anyways with the holiday coming up and all the driving we were going to do, I switched the seat back to FF. It was such a rock solid instal, I LOVED it and Evan was such a happy little clam being FF I left it as it was.

Anyways I had an eye opener conversation with my stepmom (who thinks its totally fine to FF now) She told me this story of a very good friend of her's. Her friends son had a wife, a 6 year old stepdaughter and an 18 month old little girl who was his biological daughter. Anyways they were driving on a highway (the husband was not in the car) and on the other side of the freeway was a company van transporting special needs adults. Anyways apparently the driver was changing lanes and somehow lost control and over corrected herself and she went over to the other side of the oncoming traffic and hit head on to there car.

The mother and 6 year old died instantly and the baby girl who was 18 months old and was in her carseat was pushed all the way back to the rear of the car. She did survive. It was touch and go for so long but you know what? She has brain damage now! I guess her brain was jostled all about in the crash and now she has brain damage. The doctors said she will never be normal. she will always be slow at things and cannot live alone when she grows older....OMG!!!

So I was telling my stepmom (I was quiet for awhile) that once we stop this car, Evan is going back to be RF! I know from just hearing this tragic story its enough for me to think twice or maybe three times to keep my little guy RF for way longer! I dont know what I was thinking before?? So stupid!! But my stepmom was more worried about facial deformaties and broken noses, etc. I was like well thats better than a fricken broken neck or brain damage, isnt it????

So thanks for reading thus far and hearing my story. It was very tragic and I know better now. I knew better before as well, but just hearing this story put me in check!!!

I remember when Sarah turned one, it was like part of her Birthday to turn her around. There was no question in my mind that her being FF was the way to go. But like I said, after hearing that story.....No thank you!!!
He is back again in his Safeseat!!!! He HATES the Britax being RF and its now stored in my closet!!

I'm so glad you turned your DS rear-facing again. Especially at his age, it is SO much safer. Don't feel bad about having him FF for a while. When we know better, we do better.

If you want to get him back in the MA, you might want to try installing it at different angles. It's possible you had it too upright or too reclined, and he wasn't comfortable. (It can be anywhere between 30 and 45 degrees for a kid his age.)

Don't worry about his legs being cramped--kids are flexible and sit in weird positions all the time. Plus, when they're RF, they have somewhere to put their feet (like being in a recliner), as opposed to FF, when they just dangle.

(I hope you don't mind; when I quoted your post, I added some more paragraph breaks. It was a little difficult to read as it was, and your post was important enough that I didn't want people to skip over it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC