Transporting a Large Breed Dog

kaysmom

Sorry if this has been discused before, I'm at work and it didnt come up in the first search I did! We have a 160 pound Saint Bernard and a 2000 Ford Expedition with a 3rd seat, which can be taken out... so would it be the safest to have him in the back without the seat, but could you restrain him someway? The products I've been looking at online can use a seat belt but there is no way he's sitting on the leather seat right next to the car seat drooling all over K;) I guess I'm just at a loss over how to this the safest way possible to take him to the vet the next time. Thanks in advance!

ADS

bubbaray

We crate our dog when he's in my Ody. In my DH's SUV, he rides in the cargo area and we have a pet gate between that area and the seats.

kaysmom

We cant find a crate big enough for him so that's out but the pet gate is a great idea... duh!! As soon as I read that I thought, now why couldnt I have thought of that... so thanks, I'm off to look at those!

firemomof3

Also, I tried finding the link to it but couldn't :mad: They make a harness for dogs that can be tethered to the tie downs in the back of your vehicle. But the gate might be the easier solution.

bubbaray

They definitely make crates for dogs his size. You need a Giant size crate. There are "airline" ones that are mostly plastic with some mesh and all wire ones. I prefer the all wire ones so that when we transport my dog in the summer (transport, NOT leave in the car), he d/n overheat. They definitely make both kinds in sizes big enough for your pup. Try specialty pet stores, not Petsmart. Pet stores usually have a better selection of pet gates/barriers too.

Irishmama

What about the risk of the pet barrier becoming a projectile? I've wondered about that. I've also seen several pet seat belts that look like they'd be a good option. I know there's one that looks like the LATCH alligator clips that seems like it'd work really well. You can attach it to tether anchor points or to cargo tie downs. I also wonder if a trailer tie for horses would work? THey are designed to restrain horses in trailers, so it ought to hold his wieght, andthey can be attached to cargo tie downs as well. But you're right, a crate probably would be tough to fit in your vehicle, I'm thinking. Trailer tie's can be found pretty cheap too, and it has a panic snap on one end for a easy release in the event of an accident. Good luck!

I have a GIANT size crate for my dog. He is only 50 pounds, but we thought he was going to be close to 200 like his siblings.

I have to take out all the seats in my van to fit his crate in it. Now, I just got a pet harness for him that attatches to the seatbelt.

I understand about the drool. YUCK!

I love st. bernards, they are just too cute

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I use the Ruff Rider system for our 75 +/- German Shepherd. I used to have a Tahoe and would use the cargo hook instruction with the harness. It allowed him to be comfortable to sit or lay but kept him safe in the vehicle I also just folded the 3rd row up (didn't remove) so it acted like a barrier.

As for drool well I throw big beach towels over the 3rd row seats and had a rubber cargo mat bought at the dealer.

We are now running into how to transport him in our truck & my 4 door sedan with 2 kids in car seats. I HATE to even think about putting him in the front seat.

kaysmom

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I'm wondering now if a crate that size would fit in the car, we'll have to try and check it out.
I emailed my sister about buying her a pet buckle for her American Bull Dog who is about 60 pounds who rides around Albuquerque with her just doing as she pleases in the car so maybe I'll just order two of them.
And the drool... good idea about the beach towels. We are ALWAYS looking for ways to combat the drool. At least we live in Minnesota where last night it was close to 20 below so we don't have to worry about the dog getting really hot and drooling all over;)
Thanks again for the suggestions

bubbaray

A Giant sized crate will fit in an Expedition with the third row removed. If it won't fit length-wise, you just turn it sideways so that the door opens towards the front of the vehicle (so the dog can get in).

With my dog, we keep him in the cargo areas of our vehicles b/c of the volume of hair he leaves behind, and in previous vehicles, he's punctured the leather upholstery with his nails (not to mention mud, dog hair, etc). I am not comfortable using a seatbelt harness for him. He's not used to it (he's 8) and I think he would tangle himself up in it if I left slack in it. My dog has been crate trained since he was a puppy, though, and his crate is like his cave on wheels -- his cozy, private place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC