OT - Homeschoolers/Curriculum

Michi

Just starting a new thread because the other was Soooooo long!

Wondering what y'all are using for curriculum this year?
I finally decided what I wanted and all my stuff is FINALLY here! Yea!
Here's what I got
For my DD (3rd Grade):
Story of the World (History)
Abeka - Health & Reading
Science = Unit Studies
Rod & Staff (Math)
Christian Liberty Press - Language Arts & Bible

For my DS ( 1st Grade):
Saxon math
Abeka (Phonics, Health)
History for Little Pligrims
Science = Unit studies
Handwriting w/o tears
Explode the code

ADS

Lea_Ontario

We're thinking of getting the "Before Five in a Row" units for our kids (who will be 2 yrs and 4 yrs) - the local library has most of the books we need.

Tara

Story of the World 3 - history for all
Shurley Grammar 3 for 9 yr old
7 yr old is finishing up First language lessons then will move on to Shurley 3
Spelling Power - the big orange book, for both older boys
Math U See Gamma for 9 yr old
7 yr old will go into that shortly
Latina Christiana for older 2
Science is yet to be determined, we're in chemistry this year. I'm looking at Christian Kids Explore Chemistry, but not sure yet.

Am I missing anything: history, math, science, language, spelling, latin....

Then I have to teach my 5 yr old to read Argh! He's not taking to the 100 easy lessons like my other 2 did. We've dabbled in ETC stuff, their 'before the code' books I believe they're called. They're more hands on, works for him...sorta LOL
I think my 2 yr old girl may learn to read before him Geesh! With his different style of learning AND my need to supervise the elder 2 so much still...man oh man..someone have a few extra minutes to send my way? Or better yet...can I send my child to you, you teach him to read well then I'll take him back LOL ;)

Kashi, we loved the FIAR stuff. We didn't do B4, we did the regular FIAR. The kids really enjoyed it! I have meant to continue on with the youngers, it just hasn't happened. Hanging onto my stuff, just in case I can squeeze in a thing or two though. We had a lot of fun!

vamom

I have been doing the Before Five in a Row program off and on for awhile, it fits well with the general unschooling approach that I seem to be drawn to, but makes me feel like I am still doing something. I am finding that the less I child to "teach" my child the more questions he seems to have and we have a great time discovering the answers together. My ds is not yet four, but I am already getting a lot of grief over the fact that he is not in preschool yet! I am so amazed by the number of people that look at me like I have two heads when I say that he is at home with me (after they have just asked about his preschool). When did preschool become mandatory? When did parents become inept at teaching their own kids? I respect that homeschooling is not for everyone, but there certainly is nothing magical about putting my kid in an official school that is going to make him smarter, kwim? Oh well, I am apparently some rare species that actually enjoys spending my time with my offspring. I have had to seriously readjust my priorities to make staying at home work, but the rewards are priceless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC