Question Radian - Carrying Straps Vs Bag

ctbcleveland

So - I am debating between the two - it looks like once I buy two straps, the bag won't be much different in price.

Has anyone used both to give me their opinion on which is more comfortable? I have read other threads where people have said that either option will work, but I can't decide.

DH is already complaining about how heavy the seat is.

As a note - we will be carrying on the car seat on the plane and using a CARES harness for our trip. So, we won't need to install it until we get to the rental car.

ADS

NVMBR02

I like using the straps for our Radians. but we do use them on the plane so it is easier than taking them in and out of the bag. Dh complained about how heavy the seat was as well, until he put one on his back and decided it wasn't so bad that way.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
We have the straps versus the bag (4 straps actually, as we have 2 RNs). The thing I liked about the straps is that I could leave them on the seat (RFing, I don't know if it would interfere when installed FFing) and therefore not lose them - that's the kind of thing I would end up losing over and over again.

I found using 2 straps perfectly comfortable through the airport - I carried it myself (I'm about 5'2) and my husband has as well with no complaints. Having 2 straps just seems to cut out one step.

munchkin

I think the carry method makes a difference. It is a whole lot easier to carry as a backpack than using one strap and carrying on the side. I found a couple old LATCh straps and used those for the straps. They work so well, especially because you can loosen them all the way, put the Radian on your back, and then tighten the straps so it is tight on your back.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I didn't actually use the bag for the Radian, but I originally bought the bag when I thought I would use the Radian on a plane last year (took a Scenera instead, long story). IMHO the bag seemed very flimsy and not likely to hold up with the weight of the Radian in it. I'd go with the carrying straps instead. :twocents:

Pixels

I read a number of reviews on the bag (on Amazon?) that said it didn't hold up well. I just ordered straps, and plan to leave them on the seat as well.

I've used both, and I'd say straps all the way. It is much easier to leave the straps on the back of the seat and just pop the seat on your back than it is to load the seat into the bag as you are getting off the plane. I also found that the bag was better with a lighter seat than the RN. The RN did the bag in after about 4 trips (the bag had been used for about 4 trips with another seat and showed no signs of wear when we got the RN).

You might not need to buy the straps from SKJP. If you have any extra shoulder straps lying around, you might try to see if they fit. I bought my straps off ebay and they were somewhat cheaper than the SK site.

The seat is heavy, but once it was on both shoulders, I didn't find it heavy at all. Granted, I "wore" DS on my back in the Ergo until he was much heavier than the RN, so I had built up backcarrying muscles, but I wouldn't let the weight of the seat deter you from carrying it on your back.

Also, IMO the RN is easy to install on the plane. You might find it easier just to install it than to bring the CARES as one more thing to have to worry about. My boys prefer to be in seats that are familiar to them, so the RNs work great for us on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC