light weight infant seat

jessclear

I am looking for an infant seat for my DNi, due in Feb. Her mom has a bad back, has had surgery, and needs a light weight seat for when she chooses to use it as a carrier. I have a BV waiting for when baby outgrows the infant seat, so there is really no need for a 30lb seat (and I'm sure they are heavier anyway).

I have thought of the snugride, flex loc, combi seats (haven't seen these in person). Which of these is lightest and which would you recommend? This is a first child and the parents both drive older cars, so an easy install would be best. I wish I had more experience with infant seats, but my obsession didn't start until we were in convertibles.

I have recommended that mom just remove baby from the seat and use a light weight stroller and/or find a carrier that doesn't irritate her back. I can't imagine carrying a baby and seat with a bad back. She says she would put the seat directly onto a stroller either way, but she still wants an infant seat.

What would you recommend? TIA.

Last edited:
ADS

Calleiah

I am very short and have back problems. When my DD2 was born we started with a snugride, but I bought a BabyTrend. The BT was much easier to carry for me because of the handle. I could brace it by hooking it at my elbow and holding the handle from underneith and that made over half the handle sit on my forearm. It was easier on my back than the graco. As for seat weight, didnt make a huge deal of difference between. I did find that handling the weight of the seat was easier with the BT.
Just my :twocents:

Callie

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Personally I wouldn't buy an infant seat at all. I'd get a convertible that fits newborns well (maybe a Scenera since you've got a BV waiting for later) and a really good lightweight stroller that fits newborns well (possibly with handle extenders if she's tall to make sure it fits her well.) I just really really hate lugging carriers, and part of that is that they hurt my back! If my back was that bad I'd prefer a stroller over a sling probably though, especially for later on. Even the most lightweight carrier seat is going to weigh probably at least 12-15 lbs., and add near ten lbs. of baby to that, in an awkward thing to carry, it just doesn't sound good for anyone's back to me. If she MUST have a carrier, make sure she has a Snap and Go, and problem should be solved (as long as she finds a brand that has the right height handle for her.)

sopapia

you know... convertible is great b/c you can just get the kid out tho a pain when your kid is sleeping and you still have to bend down. i also don't like to carry the infant seat too much b/c it's heavy for me. i have a snap n go (or you can use the graco or whichever brand will fit), which i have it ready next to the car door. i just transfer the infant carrier straight onto it wherever i go so i don't have to lug it around so much.

BW1426

Personally I wouldn't buy an infant seat at all. I'd get a convertible that fits newborns well (maybe a Scenera since you've got a BV waiting for later) and a really good lightweight stroller that fits newborns well (possibly with handle extenders if she's tall to make sure it fits her well.) I just really really hate lugging carriers, and part of that is that they hurt my back! If my back was that bad I'd prefer a stroller over a sling probably though, especially for later on. Even the most lightweight carrier seat is going to weigh probably at least 12-15 lbs., and add near ten lbs. of baby to that, in an awkward thing to carry, it just doesn't sound good for anyone's back to me. If she MUST have a carrier, make sure she has a Snap and Go, and problem should be solved (as long as she finds a brand that has the right height handle for her.)

you know... convertible is great b/c you can just get the kid out tho a pain when your kid is sleeping and you still have to bend down. i also don't like to carry the infant seat too much b/c it's heavy for me. i have a snap n go (or you can use the graco or whichever brand will fit), which i have it ready next to the car door. i just transfer the infant carrier straight onto it wherever i go so i don't have to lug it around so much.

Jess said she mentioned this and that they really want an infant seat anyways.

Maedze

The Safety First infant seats are incredibly light.

That being said, I don't particularly care for them. They can be a difficult install, and that sewn up harness business in the back might be confusing to some.

However, if she can get a good install, and her only requirement is a lightweight infant seat, it's not a bad seat per se. Five point harness, front adjust and EPS foam. Could be a lot worse.

jessclear

She finally registered for a travel system. It's a pink Graco travel system from Target, but it's back adjust. I'm trying to find her a front adjust travel system to compromise with. Of course, I think she'd be better off with a car seat and just a stroller frame - like a snap n go - but she's a first time mom and most of us registered for a travel system, right?

How much heavier is the Snugride than the Flex Loc or Combi or Safety 1st seats? Are the safety 1st seats rated ok easy of use wise? I really want her to be able to use this seat correctly, as easily and quickly as possible. Of course, I am planning on buying them the car seat and I can't buy something as $$ as a Keyfit. Even the Combis are a bit too much if she also wants a stroller.

I think I have ruled out the Flex Loc because the handle must be down and I don't want to add anything else to the list of "to dos". So, that leaves us with Combi, Graco, or Safety 1st, right?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Really the weight difference between all the seats is negligable, though some are more or less awkward than others.

Personally I was able to adjust my back-adjust SR much better than the friend's front-adjust I used for her daughter a couple of times. It just fit the baby better that way.

Isn't the Safety 1st seat the one with the really weird harness adjuster that is a pain to change the slots on?

jessclear

Just wanted to update that my brother's girlfriend ended up choosing this travel system. It is the Graco Metrolite in the Regal pattern. I love it! She went with it because the SR weighed less than the other infant seats we looked at and the stroller was lightweight and easy to fold and carry.

Anyway, I am very happy to report that both soon-to-be-parents were very open to my safety suggestions. I taught them how to install the seat in all positions in their car. They have LATCH in all 3 seating positions. I'm so jealous! They listened to me about after market products, etc. I will be calling from time to time to check on things. I won't be visiting to meet the baby until early March, but you can bet I'll be doing a car seat inspection. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC