Haha working on Bro/Sil though Nephew

Pepse

Nephew who was in an expired Eddie Bauer, Combination which they bought used for first son who is now 5 and in a nbb. The EB expired in March of this year which they have been told about many many of times and went out last month and bought him a nbb. I was LIVID

I even bought a Radian for them and was told where to shove it.

Said nephew was born at 31 weeks so is very tiny, 28.?lbs (my 16 month old weights 28.2lbs) and I say maybe 34 inches tall and will be 4 in July

Well older nephew played in a hockey game in my town on Sat, so i went to watch. When it was over, i asked younger nephew if he wanted to ride with me back to my house.

He was all excited, i said but y9ou have to ride backwards as that is how baby dd's seat is, he was all excited. SIL asked and asked are you sure he will fit in the seat rfing and it is safe (umm hello he weights the same as dd and safer than an expired seat or a nbb).

So we go off, he LOVEs the ride. Asks if we can go the long way back to my house hehe

My bro and sil come over and the first thing nephew says is, I want to ride backwards, it was cool .

Bro tells him that he will talk to me about it and see if he can.

Bro of course doesn't ask anything further.

I called this mornign to talk to SIL and little nephew wanted to talk on the phone, so i told him to make sure he bugs mom and dad about rfing

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's great that you had him RF in your car, and hopefully your brother and SIL will ask you for more information.

I don't think I'm comfortable using DN in the middle, though. I'd be pretty ticked if another adult encouraged my DS to question my parenting decisions.

I do understand where you're coming from, and you're trying to do a good thing, but I'd be very careful how you go about it.

MustangMama

I just have given up on informing others. If they want to know, they will ask. And that is just what is happenning. One of my good friends asked me the other day why Sami is still in a car seat so I went over the whole ERF HWH thing. She was very interested in the conversation and I let her lead it. I answered her questions that she needed answered and filled in some unknown info she had no clue about in the empty spots of our conversation.

The reason I gave up is because some people just get so defensive about it. I had a mom tell me once "You think I'm a bad mom because my daughter is in an expired car seat with a broken handle?!" OMG she totally just justified herself! LOL

But yeah, I tried and now have given up. If they want to know, they will ask!

But I give you props for caring about your nephew and trying to do the best you can :thumbsup: Sounds like you are a great aunt!

I wish everybody would just take our advice. Better yet, I wish this newer info would be put out for display to new moms and others that don't quite know anything but what the box tells them. The boxes say nothing about ERF or HWH

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's great that you had him RF in your car, and hopefully your brother and SIL will ask you for more information.

I don't think I'm comfortable using DN in the middle, though. I'd be pretty ticked if another adult encouraged my DS to question my parenting decisions.

I do understand where you're coming from, and you're trying to do a good thing, but I'd be very careful how you go about it.

I agree.

My 6y9m, 50-pound daughter rides harnessed. If she (hypothethically) had to ride in a nbb in my brother's car, and then my brother encouraged her to "bug me" about riding in a nbb, I'd be furious.

And yes, I know the motivations would be different -- but parenting decisions should be made by the parents and kids should not be pawns.

mominabigtruck

I seriously don't think you'll get parents who child is now riding in a nbb to put him in a rfing seat. And yeah, he's only 28lbs but I just don't think that's practical and yes I am speaking from a social stand point:(

Kat_Momof3

I would just let the parents know of the options... I'd be more inclined to work on harnessing him again in a safe seat than on rf.

and I agree about using the kid as a pawn, even though when he initiated it himself, that was fine, and transporting him by your rules, with the parents consent of course, was fine.

Pepse

I would just let the parents know of the options... I'd be more inclined to work on harnessing him again in a safe seat than on rf.

and I agree about using the kid as a pawn, even though when he initiated it himself, that was fine, and transporting him by your rules, with the parents consent of course, was fine.

I was originally trying to get him out of an expired seat and therefor got the Radian for him from another member here.

When I took it to my brothers, they said, they had gotten a new seat and would show me on my way out. The new seat was a nbb. I was livid.

Since nephew wanted to ride with me and the seat was rfing ( i wasn't going to change it for a 2 minute car ride since he is within the limits of the seat). He was the one that was all excited about it being rfing.

I know he probably never will be rfing again, but atleast hoping that him bugging his parents will make them think twice about him riding only in a nbb.

His 5 year old brother is also only 36lbs and in a nbb.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC