Very Big Toddler Seat Question

U

Unregistered

I have a very big boy, lol. He just turned 3 Christmas day and is 43 lbs and 39 3/4 inches tall. (His sister is 45 lbs, 42 1/2 inches tall and 5 1/2 years old, shhhhh lol). I use the Graco Nautilus in my car and LOVE IT. But currently have the Britax Marathon in my husbands truck. I guess I didn't realize the extent he outgrew the Marathon until I had to drive the truck recently and I could barely get the straps buckled. The straps are at the top slot too. This carseat should by all means fit him but its not so we need another one but my husband doesn't LIKE the Nautilus. Now I know the Regent is an option but cost wise......it really may not be since I was just laid off a week before Christmas.
Can anyone point me in a good direction for my big boy? :)
I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Oh and while perusing this board (and I'm so glad I found it too) because I was considering a regular booster, now I am not, but I saw some info about the latch not being good for over 40 lbs?? Both the Nautilus and Marathon are latched in currently? Is this not safe? I should belt them in?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer
mom to M and C

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
You could barely get the straps buckled? Is he wearing a thick winter coat? A 43 lb child should not be "filling out" the entire harness. (My daughter is 55+ lb, and her shoulders are a bit above the top slots, but there was plenty of room to buckle her in when I had her sit in her sister's Marathon to compare her size.) If he's not wearing a thick coat, and you can't buckle the straps, chances are they're either threaded improperly or caught on something. You should pull the seat out of the vehicle and check the harness.

If he is wearing a heavy coat, you should be aware that this really isn't safe. I know it can be tough to balance the warmth issue with the straps need to be snug issue, but there are ways around it. For example, some of us have the child take off his coat, buckle & tighten the straps, then put the coat on backward to keep him warm until the vehicle warms up. If this is what you are dealing with, we can offer other suggestions to try, as well.

U

Unregistered

Neither of my kids wear thick coats actually, just hoodies. I will check the seat as you suggest. My thoughts were that too but I assumed it was functionally normally but honestly I hadn't put him in the car seat in weeks, possibly two months or more. His dad just kept saying it was too tight, that he didn't "fit" anymore.
I just looked over the Britax website and pulled up the pdf of the Marathon and by the standards, he should fit into this carseat just fine.
Tomorrow its coming out and getting checked.
Thx!

chasingboys

My 3 year old is about the same size (weight wise, he's about 3" taller) but has a 17" torso, and no longer fits in the Marathon either. Is that what you mean? That he doesn't fit because is torso is too tall?

Like the previous poster said, he should fit "width" wise. If he's wearing a coat, you should remove it before you strap him in or have him wear a thin fleece jacket while in the car.

As far as latch goes, most vehicles allow use of the lower achors until 48lbs. Honda, Acura, Mercedes are manufacturers that have a 40lb limit, if it doesn't say anywhere in your car manual, you should assume it's 40lbs (better safe than sorry). If you have a GM, Ford or Toyota, you're good with Latch until 48lbs. At 48lbs you would need to switch the install to seatbelt. You can however still continue to use the "top" tether.

Last edited:

emandbri

I would take the seat out of the car and make sure all the straps aren't messed up in the back. My son is 5 years 4 months and 44 lbs and fits in the marathon.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Unless he has an extraordinarily long torso, he should still be able to use the Marathon -- but very few kids do actually fit in it until 65 pounds or 49 inches, so while you may not need to go shopping today, it is a good thing to start thinking about the next seat.

Why does your husband not like the Nautilus?

monstah

My son at 3 years, 3 months old, 43 pounds and 39.5 inches has outgrown our BLVD. I can easily see how your son may have outgrown the Marathon.

With a boy as big as my own, the only seats I would consider buying for him is the Nautilus or the Regent, every little millimeter counts in this case, ya know. I would try out a Regent in your car, you may like it. If not, than I would suggest another Nautilus, or possibly a Frontier.

ETA: Please let us know the make / model / year of the vehicle, someone can look up the LATCH info for you and whether or not center LATCH is allowed.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the replies and yes he does have a long torso. Its a GM Suburban.
My husband says the Nautilus leans back too far and the straps/chest clasp is too difficult. I disagree but then again, I use it daily so I'm use to it and my son likes it. With a big toddler, I found the Nautilus nice and comfy and so does my son.
My daughter did too actually but the seat was sold out everywhere when I was buying it last summer and I could barely find the one I got. I am thinking of getting another for her when/if I get one for my son. She's currently in the Graco Turbo Booster Step 3 - Abby for both vehicles. I have a small car and two Nautilus in my back seat will take up the whole back seat! lol

Jennifer

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I would pull the seat out and see what is going on. Perhaps the harness is caught on something on the back of the seat. He will outgrow the MA when any of the following occur:

1. Tips of the ears hit the top shell of the seat
2. Shoulders go over the top harness slots
3. Weight limit is reached.

Sounds like he is a big kiddo but may have some room left in his MA. However, not totally impossible that he would have outgrown it! My 5.5 year old is close to the same stats and she has almost outgrown the MA. She is MUCH more comfy in her Frontier.

If it's time for a new seat, your option are the Nautilus, The Britax Frontier or the Britax REgent. The Frontier is very similar to the Nautilus but perhaps your hubby would like it better? The Regent is the tallest harnessed seat out there so it would last him the longest. If you can find both the Frontier and the Regent irl, I'd go take a look at both and see how much growing room he has in both. I'd likely lean towards the Regent simply b/c he is pretty young but the Frontier would be a good choice as well.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It's not impossible that the seat has been outgrown, but the OP complained that the harness was difficult to buckle, because her 43 lb/40" child was "too big", and a child that size should fit in the harness easily, even if his shoulders are above the top slots (which may or may not be the case).

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
It's not impossible that the seat has been outgrown, but the OP complained that the harness was difficult to buckle, because her 43 lb/40" child was "too big", and a child that size should fit in the harness easily, even if his shoulders are above the top slots (which may or may not be the case).

Agreed. Even if the seat is outgrown there should be plenty of harness.

adamsmommy

My son who is 3 outgrew his Marathon sometime ago also. He is a big guy with a big chest. That was not the problem though.

We have Radians and I like them. Ds still has plenty of room. Although, I have recently fell in love with the Frontier. I will sell you my Radian and I will go get a Frontier.;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC