TrueFit w/anti-rebound or Signo?

marjen

Hi,

I have a 5-month old who is growing quickly, and I've been trying to figure out what seat to buy next. I plan to rearface as long as possible, and cost isn't really an issue. I've narrowed it down somewhat to the upcoming True Fit with the anti-rebound foot and the Recaro Signo. If anyone has any definite dislikes with either one, I'd love to hear them. The seat will be installed in a 2008 Toyota Rav4 (and yeah...I've heard the center install horror stories for the newer Rav4's...I'm probably going to have to do an outboard latch install).

The cons I've heard for the True Fit are the harness (some like it, some don't) and the adjuster (but I've also heard that this should be better with the new model).

For the Signo, I've heard that the straps twist and that there is a lot less leg room for rearfacing.

Anything else? Thanks so much for your help!

ADS

firemomof3

I have the signo and haven't found the straps to be twisty :confused: BUT the lack of leg room rf can be a problem...which is what I just ran into. My 2.75y/o is only 27lbs. but has LONG legs and complains of leg pain while rf in her signo. So, now I'm getting a scenera so she can stay rf. But ff, the signo is the best and thats why I'm keeping it. The true fit is going to give your child SO much more leg room rf and the anti rebound foot is great rf but has no function ff. So, its really a matter of opinion.
If I were to do it all over again I would get an avenue and keep my kids rf as long as possible and then get a signo and keep the avenue for traveling...but thats just me :)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
For what it's worth---right now I'm planning on getting the new True Fit once baby outgrows the Key Fit.

The True Fit sits low on the seat so once seat is FF, it should be easier for the child to climb in and out on their own. The Signo sits up high on a base.

The harness on the TF is a continuous harness, which many seats have. You just pull it at the hips if one side gets shorter than the other to even them back out.

I think they have pretty equal harness heights, so they would be outgrown FF about the same time. And either seat should take most children to a safe boostering age.

Susan

U

Unregistered

I am also looking at these two. I think I'm leaning towards the signo. From what I can tell, the signo will "hug" the child more tightly, which should make it safer if there is less "wiggle room" for a skinny child. (My kids are skinny). Is this correct?
I also like the signos head support for a FF toddler, mine tend to sleep. I'd love to hear from those who have them, what is the TF like for a sleeping FFer? How long can the TF infant pillow be used?
Also, are the harness heights the same for these two seats?
Are they both easy to take in and out? I think the Signo actually weighs less (22 vs 26 lbs)
Lastly, how easy is the cover to remove on the Signo? Heard good things about the TF cover removal.
Thanks for all the great info from this site! I don't have a retailer who carries the signo near me, so it's making my research much easier and more thorough.

firemomof3

Yes, the signo will "hug" a child much more vs. the true fit but that doesn't necessarily make it safer, as long as both seats are used correctly they are safe :)
The signo is the best for ff recline and offers lots of comfort for sleeping BUT the signo has a very shallow seat so some long legged kids may find this uncomfortable (although my tall 5.5y/o has yet to complain)
For harness height, the signo measures about 18.5" top slots, the true fit measures 17.5" But the true fit has much more shoulder room but if you have tall skinny kids the signo will be fine
Taking off the cover of the signo is a process...my dh helped me cause it was pitn. But it washed fine and went back on with no problem
I'm not sure about weight, but the signo is much more cumbersome than the true fit....but I wouldn't want to lug either one around anywhere! ;)

BW1426

I vote for the True Fit. I love the Signo, but it is not an excellent seat for extended rearfacing because it lacks so much in leg room. I would even take the current True Fit over the Signo if buying for an infant. I would choose the Signo over any convertible though for forward facing. It's a very nice forward facing seat.

firemomof3

Just another though; if your really set on the signo you could always get a scenera/avenue now to keep your child rear facing and it will make a great travel/spare seat. Then when your child is ready to ff you can get the signo...just a thought :)

jess71903

Ambassador
You can use the head pillow on the TF as long as you want to, but you have to remove the infant insert that goes under their bottom at 22lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC