Please Help! What would you recommend?

A

Anne-Marie

Hi Everyone,

First off, I cannot believe the wealth of knowledge the "regulars" on this site posses and are sooo willing to share to boot! I have learned a lot from reading various threads at this site. However, I do have a huge favor to ask of you . . . I would truly appreciate your help in determining what car seat/booster would be best for my growing daughter.

My daughter, who will be 4 years old in October and is approximately #41 and 43", is quickly outgrowing her Convertible Eddie Bauer car seat, which was purchased in 2002. Her head is extremely close to top and I want to get her into something else ASAP. She grows like a weed and ideally I would like something that will "grow' as she does.

I would love to be able to find something that reclines, so she can sleep comfortably for long trips, but I know that these are hard to come by if at all even possible. I believe I read the recaro's do recline. Is that the case? Cup holders would be nice too. Oh and something that would provide head support when she is sleeping but at the same time not be too restrictive.

I have a 2006 Toyota Corrolla so I would like something that is strong and safe since I am in a smaller vehicle.

What would you recommend for my daughter?

Thank you sooo much for your time & knowledge!
Anne-Marie

P.S. I am sure I am probably forgetting some important feature or factor so please make any suggestions.

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Since she's over 40 pounds she can no longer be harnessed in that seat. Also if it's a 3 in 1--if the head rest is in the top position---then you can NOT use the harness it is for booster mode ONLY. I stress this because that info is hard to find on the seat AND so many parents make that mistake.

You might want to consider a regent since she is not yet 4. 4 years old AND 40 pounds are the absolute MINIMUMS for going into a booster.

What is your budget? Seats that harness beyond 40 pounds and convert to a booster are limited.

I think your choices are:
Regent--harnesses to 80 pounds does not become a booster $250(cheaper on closeout fabrics)

Apex-harness to 65 pounds, booster to 100, MUST have tall seatbacks or head rests $129

Recaro-the harness one only goes to 40--so you would have to go with a booster and your daughter is not at the minimums yet

I think there is another option, but I don't know much about it.

Susan

A

Anne-Marie

Thank you!

Thank you Susan for your recommendations!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I have been using the booster aspect of the 3 in 1. However, in all honesty, I just started doing that just recently, which is prompting me to research the various car seats available. I do not feel that is she as secure in a booster than in a 5 point harness.

I am serious considering the regent. I am just having a hard time finding a retailer near me so I can inspect it and have my daughter sit in it, etc. I checked out the Apex last week, but I did not choose it because the saleswoman said it does not have the foam, especially in the head rest area.

However, a couple of days ago, I picked up Safety 1st's Prospect. I picked it up and then of course I found this forum after the fact. Apparently, this is a new seat because I have been unsuccessful in finding reviews and discovered there are three "versions" or names for this particular model through this site. Oh well!

I have a feeling that I will return the prospect and get the Compass B500 (I think that is what is) because it folds up so that could be my spare seat and get the Regent as the primary seat. Because once I install the Regent, I do not want to move it anytime soon. kwim

Thank you again for sharing your wealth of knowledge.
Anne-Marie

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Where I used to live they had the "Cubb" version of the Prospect, but I never got to really look at it -- was hoping to compare it to the Apex, but no one else within 4 hours of me carries it now....

If you travel with kiddo the Apex would be a good choice (assuming you have high vehicle seat backs or head rests), but if you rarely travel then the Regent would be my top choice!

My daughter's primary seat is the Husky (recently renamed Regent) & Apex is her spare -- she likes both, but seems swallowed in the Apex at 4 years 35# 43" while she seems much more comfortable in the Regent for long rides ... in part because she can more easily fold her legs with knees out to give her feet some support.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I saw a regent installed in a car today for the first time--in real life. It even seemed smaller in the car than it did in a store. It's really not the beast that it seems to be made out to be. It sits on the seat with no base. Its probably not much taller than a Marathon...so you could try a marathon in your car to get an idea of how tall it would be...maybe add an inch or 2.

Susan

A

Anne-Marie

Thank you Tiffany!

Hi Tiffany!!!!!

Thank you sooo much for your advice!!! I really appreciate it!

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by travel? Do you mean by air?

I do have head rests for all of the seats in my car, however I don't know what is considered a high seat back.

I have found retailer for the Regent, so I will be heading over there this evening to check it out after work. :)

Thank you soooo much for your help!
Anne-Marie

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Any traveling, really -- the Apex & Regent are about the same width, but the Regent is much heavier (hence "sturdier" as well) & the Apex is FAA approved, but the Regent is not....

IMO, the Regent is a much nicer primary seat than the Apex (which has poor padding once the toddler cushion is outgrown), but if a safe & easy spare/travel seat is necessary then I like the Apex ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Also, sorry I forgot to answer about the headrests ... so long as the vehicle seatback or headrests extend up high enough to support the top of the Apex,then it's OK -- the manual states that the vehicle seatback/headrest must be at or above the child's ears (not just now but also as the child grows). The Apex is the only highback booster with this requirement; other highback boosters are designed specifically for low seatbacks so the Apex operates more like a backless booster in that it must have vehicle support for the child's head. Somewhere here someone has a photobucket account showing how bendy top of the Apex is....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC