How much longer do we have for RF? Any estimates?

Splash

Charlie is now 28 pounds and about 33 inches, at 11 months old. He'll make it to a year, obviously, but I don't know if he'll make it to two years.
Anyone else have similarly gigantic children that RF for a long time? I would love to keep him RF till he's 4 or so, but right now I would look at 2 as a gift!

ADS

ccjones

Holy moly! That's a huge little boy! My one-year-old (adjusted age: 11 months)
is only about 20 or 21 lbs, and maybe 31" long. I won't know for sure until we go to the pediatrician on July 27th. A baby's weight gain supposedly slows WAY down once they hit the one-year mark, so maybe that will be the case with Charlie? Are you planning on using a Scenera to keep him RF the extra 2 pounds after he hits the 33lb Britax limit. That's assuming he's hasn't outgrown the Scenera, height-wise, I guess.

Colleen

Michi

Is he crawling/walking yet?
I always found that my kid's weight changed drastically once they were mobile.
My DS went from being in the 95th% to the 15th%, and my "off the charts" DD dropped to the 50% - all shortly after they started walking. They burn a lot more calories ( the good news is I did too - chasing them!)

Splash

I have an AO that I was going to use in the van to let him RF the extra two pounds. In my car, no. I'll just turn him around at 33 pounds. :(
He is gigantic. I hope he slows down...

If he hits 33 pounds really young (like before 18 months) I'll probably buy a scenera for my car too. But if he makes it past 18 months (fingers crossed for two years) then FF it will be.

Splash

Crawling, yes, but not walking.
I think he just has a really heavy spleen or something. He's got fat little thighs and cheeks, but other than that he doesn't have much chub. He was 22 inches and almost 12 pounds at birth, so he got a head start in growth!

skaterbabs

CJ was a moose until around age 3, after that his growth curve drastically changed, and at 7 he was measuring around the 30th percentile. Now at almost ten, he's arounth the 50th.

You may have more time than you thought. :)

Lea_Ontario

Boo was 24.5 lbs at 1 year - not huge, but still pretty big (he was only 7#8 at birth).
At 2, he was just over 29 lbs.
At 3, he was just over 34 lbs.
At 4, he is sitting around 38 lbs.

Last edited:

cantech

FWIW I found using the CDC's growth charts to be pretty accurate in predicting at what age children would reach a particular weight and/or height. Just follow the curve up to whatever marker you're looking for and then follow it to the age that corresponds. Even when the children fluctuate a bit on percentiles they can give you a really good idea of your timeline.

Here's the link to their website you can download or print whichever charts you want. http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/

Belinda

Splash

His weight hits 33 pounds at 21 months. His length doesn't have a line! 33 inches doesn't show up until 15 months at the very top of the charts. What is the average RF height for the bigger britaxes?
He must be mostly legs, because he still fits in a Graco SafeSeat1. All of his clothes are 3T though... my son is a mutant. And up until last week, it was all on mommy's milk. He just started eating solid foods about ten days ago, at dinner time only, because Jean just couldn't keep up anymore!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Splash said:
Crawling, yes, but not walking.
I think he just has a really heavy spleen or something. He's got fat little thighs and cheeks, but other than that he doesn't have much chub. He was 22 inches and almost 12 pounds at birth, so he got a head start in growth!

JT was 12lbs 9oz at birth, 27lbs at 1yr (doc actually put him on a diet at 4mo...he was already over 20lbs), 33lbs at 2yrs, 40lbs at 3yrs and so on! He was 22" at birth as well...don't recall how tall he was at 12mo though!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Well, besides his weight, his torso length is important too. Evan is 19 mos, 22# and 30" (he lost some weight this past month :( ), but he has a really long torso like AJ. AJ was almost 3 when he had to go ffing. He was 34# and 37", but has like a 15" torso. He was 24#10oz? at 1, and then gained 5# in the next year and 5# again so that's his pattern. Hopefully he can make it till at least 18mos. I know in some of those seats, even Evan would have to ffing now and he's tiny!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Kashi said:
Owen was 24.5 lbs at 1 year - not huge, but still pretty big (he was only 7#8 at birth).
At 2, he was just over 29 lbs.
At 3, he was just over 34 lbs.
At 4, he is sitting around 38 lbs.

Here is the data on a little boy I know:
At birth= 10 lb. 10 oz.
At 12 months= approximately 31 lb.
At 18 months= approx. 35 lb.
At 24 months= approx. 37 lb.
He is now three years old and weighs well over 40 pounds.

That is a big boy! I don't know his height but I do know that the kid is pretty proportional. He is just a BIG boy. However, when your mom is around 6 feet tall and your dad is around 6' 6", you are probably going to be a big kid!

I know that this family wanted to keep their son RF as long as possible, but he had to be turned soon after his first brithday because of height and weight.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
KaysKidz said:
JT was 12lbs 9oz at birth, 27lbs at 1yr (doc actually put him on a diet at 4mo...he was already over 20lbs), 33lbs at 2yrs, 40lbs at 3yrs and so on! He was 22" at birth as well...don't recall how tall he was at 12mo though!

It sounds he is growing at the correct rate. They say a baby triples their birth weight in the first year. If JT had tripled his birthweight, he would have been 37 pounds, 11 ounces! So JT is doing well, then! :) I wonder what you would have had to have done if JT had tripled his birthweight. There aren't any seats that RF to over 37 pounds! :)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Heck, when JT was born...they didn't have seats that rf to over 20lbs. He is almost 10 now and well over 100lbs and nearly 5'. That's what happens when mommy is 5'11' and daddy is 6'2"...it's projected JT will hit 6'3", and he's right on target for it!

BTW, I was a bad mommy and rf him beyond the limits of his seat, cause I just couldn't turn him ff at 4mo (when he hit 20lbs). I finally turned him at 9mo (25lbs12oz) cause I was worried we were pushing our luck. A month later, Century came out with the Smart Move that when to 30lbs...but I didn't buy it. I THINK that's the first I ever heard of Britax too...I think the Advantage was out at the high end stores. But at that time, the push was 12mo & 20lbs.

Now I keep my daycare kids rf till they are 2, if space allows (I can do 3 if one can fit in the Safeseat). I've got 2 (14 & 15mo olds rf) and everybody else is ff. The next smallest kiddo is 31lbs and will be 3 in Sept. Technically she could rf...but at this point, I think we are OK.

herc

i have giant kids too, just posted about them actually :)
Both of my kids were abt 17.5lbs at 2 months, older was 29lbs at 6m, and younger 26lbs. My older son Liam was 33lbs at a year-- and I was honestly prayig that we could make it until at least a year after he was almost 30lbs at 6m. My younger we just turned last week at 15 months and 33lbs. Liam was 40lbs and 40 inches at 2, and is now 48in and 65lbs at four.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC