minivan car seat placement

U

Unregistered

I have a 19 month old who weighs 28 pounds and he has a marathon and currently still rides rear facing in the centre. I am pregnant and I don't know which new configuration is safer for the two kids:
1. both kids in middle row of seating with newborn by the window and rear facing and 19 month old in the middle, forward facing (by then he'll be 25 months and unfortunately I think he'll be over the rear facing weight limit)
or
2. newborn rear facing in the middle of the middle row of seating and 25 month old in rear row of seating in the middle seat forward facing.

Is number 2 dangerous in a rear-ender crash?

ONe other question to anybody who knows: how strict are the weight limits for rear facing. As I said my son is only 19 months and already near teh weight limit for the marathon. Can I leave him rear facing a few pounds over the limit? Are there any car seats that would keep him rear facing longer?

thanks for your help.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unregistered said:
I have a 19 month old who weighs 28 pounds and he has a marathon and currently still rides rear facing in the centre. I am pregnant and I don't know which new configuration is safer for the two kids:
1. both kids in middle row of seating with newborn by the window and rear facing and 19 month old in the middle, forward facing (by then he'll be 25 months and unfortunately I think he'll be over the rear facing weight limit)
or
2. newborn rear facing in the middle of the middle row of seating and 25 month old in rear row of seating in the middle seat forward facing.

Is number 2 dangerous in a rear-ender crash?

ONe other question to anybody who knows: how strict are the weight limits for rear facing. As I said my son is only 19 months and already near teh weight limit for the marathon. Can I leave him rear facing a few pounds over the limit? Are there any car seats that would keep him rear facing longer?

thanks for your help.

The limits are pretty strict. It's up to you, but when my daughter hits 33 pounds (or before if her ears are too high) she's getting turned back around to forward. But that's five pounds, and he's at an age when weight growth tends to slow, so that could be another year or two for him. I'd wait to see where he is when the new baby comes, then redo your configurations for two rearfacing seats.

The Cosco Scenera has a 35 pound RFing weight limit. That's the highest in the US available right now. There's another one with a 35 pound RFing limit, but I can't think of what it is.

No idea about the configurations. I'd probably put the baby in the middle RFing and your son by the window, simply because I wouldn't want to be too far from either of them, and I certainly wouldn't want a RFing child in the middle in the far back (which is less safe in the case of a rearender, but unless the seat is added afterward it is a safe location and has been tested to be sat on during an accident). I'd put the baby in the middle because if you're using an infant seat and removing it from the car you can easily put baby on the floor in the back while you help your son into his seat while leaning over the low base of the infant seat, then put your infant into the base. If you're not using an infant seat, or not removing it from your car, then I'd do whatever is easier for you with two convertibles or seats in the middle row.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

that's helpful thank you

Thanks Wendy, that helps a lot. I'm disappointed I can't buy a car seat that will keep him rear facing a lot longer. If it were up to me he'd be rear facing until he is 16. thanks for your help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC