Car seat crash tests?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I'm wondering if there are any other organizations that independently (so, not the car seat manufacturer or the government) perfom crash tests on different safety seats (other than Consumer Reports). I love Consumer Reports and really rely on their crash test ratings, but they don't test every seat out there, and there are some that I'm really curious about, but don't want to buy without seeing crash test results. Thanks for any info!

ADS

skaterbabs

No, there isn't, and the CR crash tests aren't really reliable. CR is a great resource when you're buying a dishwasher or dryer, or even a car, but not for child safety seats.
No one can replicate their testing, and there are questions about their methodology. They will not allow anything from NHTSA or Safe Kids (the certifying body for CPSTs) to oversee the tests, and they factor price into their recommendations above ease of use features that are also safety features. (For example, rear facing tethers, built in lockoffs and non-twist straps.) They also only test each seat once, so issues that would not show up immediately (like twisty straps or low harness heights that cause a seat to be outgrown quickly) aren't considered at all.
Your best resource for picking a seat you will be happy with isto ask here or at one of the several other car seat forums (Delphi Forums & iVillage are two I know of that are frequented by techs.)

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I only pay attention to the Consumer Reports crash protection ratings. I'm never concerned with other features or their so-called 'quick picks' because I realized a long time ago that they are more about price and features than crash protection. I did not know that CR won't let anyone oversee their crash tests; that is a disturbing bit of info. I called Britax yesterday to inquire how their seats are tested and they would not tell me anything. Where am I supposed to find this info? Thanks for your help!

skaterbabs

The short answer is you're not. The crash testing is only a pass/fail system. The companies are not required to let the general public know the results of the testing beyond their compliance with the NHTSA regulations.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I wish the manufacturers were more open about specifics of their internal testing. Since they are not required to make it public, most companies likely keep their testing data and details internal because they consider it to be proprietary information and extremely competition sensitive. That's the former contract administrator in me talking, lol.

I also assume the legal department would not be thrilled if the data were disclosed to the consumer out of concern it could become product liability fodder in a hypothetical lawsuit. We do live in a litigious world after all, sigh.

I'm not defending the tight lid on the testing data (I would absolutely love to see the details myself), only trying to clarify some of the possible rationale for not disclosing it from the manufacturer's standpoint.

skaterbabs

I honestly think the pass/fail system doesn't work. It's why seats like overhead shields stay on the market.

I think a graded scale like cars have would be better, with just the grades published. So seat "A" get a 3 star rating but seat "B" gets a 5 star rating. That doesn't give away any proprietary info, but creats a climate of competition that can only benefit the consumer. The consumer has the choice between seat "A" and seat "B" and if they choose seat "B" because of better ratings then company "A" either has to improve the seat or lose business.

I doubt we'll see that any time soon though.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I LOVE your idea, skaterbabscpst, about the rating system. Wouldn't that be nice? I have been looking at the Safeguard seats lately because they actually post their crash test videos right on their website. The secretiveness of all the others makes me wonder if they have something to hide. I understand all the political-ness of it, but wish there was a more consumer-friendly system. I also agree with you about the overhead shields. I can't believe they're still on the market and that parents still think they're safe. Thanks to all of you for your info. I'm so glad I found I this forum!

skaterbabs

Thanks, too bad I doubt we'll see it any time soon. The SG is a really nice seat, but pricey. As much as I would love to be able to buy the best seat no matter what, when the seat costs half as much as the car you gotta stop. ;)
from what I understand, the SG is a bit overkill for anyone able & willing to properly use a seat. Personally, I love my Marathon (and the Roundabout I had before it.) I just wish Britax made a nice combination booster that harnessed as high as the Regent and then became a booster to something like 130 lbs. lol

gwenvet

That's wild! If there were a booster that harnessed to 130lbs I would still have to be in it!! (Well almost) ;)
Anyway, I recently noticed that Recaro no longer has their crash test results on their website. They used to list how much above US requirements each seat passed by and I was so impressed that they would do this. Am I crazy or not remembering right?

skaterbabs

Not sure about Recaro's site, I haven't looked. But yeah, I'd fit in a booster that goes to 130 lbs....well, sometimes. LOL

M

Marsus

in europe the crash tests give rates (strars or other symbols), and I like. The Which consumer report also gives percentage score.
you still can find the complete results for Recaro in the STM website:

http://www.storchenmuehle.de

M

Marsus

I forgot: the evaluation of the European consumer reports do not consider the price, or better they consider the safety separately from the price! the rate is based on 60% safety and 40% comfort (or other elements excluding price)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC