Car seats required on Airplane Seats???

Pepse

dh and I were having this discussion last night about places at destinations that rent baby items such as car seats (no way now how am i ever using one of these), cribs, strollers etc.

So we got into the conversation of what is required on a plane

is a car seat manditory?

ADS

canmom

I don't think it is required to have a car seat on a plane. I have seen kids of all ages etc not in them so I am pretty sure they are not required.

CaseyRN

I'm pretty sure they are not required on a plane. I know that when we flew DD was the only one in a carseat on the plane and there were a lot of kids all ages on the flight.

Ali

If you purchase a seat for a child under the age of 2, then they must be in a carseat. If not, then they may be a lap child. Up to 40lbs, it is recommended that they be in seats.

DD has always had her own seat and we have always brought her carseat.

CaseyRN

Here is my thought, though. Really how do they know you bought a seat for the child under 2. I mean, I don't really think the FAs will notice that the empty seat next to you is actually one you bought. They'll just assume it's an empty seat. So then you could get away with not using a carseat.

Don't get me wrong....we bought DD a seat of her own and used a carseat wen we flew. So I am not advocating the non-use of carseats on planes.

Pepse

If you purchase a seat for a child under the age of 2, then they must be in a carseat. If not, then they may be a lap child. Up to 40lbs, it is recommended that they be in seats.

DD has always had her own seat and we have always brought her carseat.

So in a paid seat under 2 it is a must

Paid seat over 2 is optional but recommended

BCsymmes

Does that under 2 rule apply to all airlines, or only a few ? we are flying on continental (from seattle to the bahamas) and were told by 3 ticketing reps that since she will be 22 months old, and big enough, we can use our CARES instead on her purchased seat. there is nothing on the web site that says she is required to be in a car seat.

Would appreciate clarification.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
A child up to 2 yrs old can travel as a 'lap baby' ie. no carseat required nor do you need to purchase an airplane seat. But if you do purchase an airplane seat, then an aircraft-certified seat must be used appropriately on board. A child older than 2 yrs and older must have an aircraft seat but the use of a carseat on board is optional.

Go figure :)

BCsymmes

i wonder (and not questioning your answer at all) if the rules differ by airline/country. We are flying with Continental SEA - MHH (in the bahamas) and when i researched the web site i found this line
"Infant Seating
Children unable to sit upright with the seat belt fastened must be carried in an FAA approved infant seat if not being held by an adult. "

Following that logic, then that would mean that A child that is able to sit upright and be fastened in a seat belt done not require an infant seat. She would be sitting WITH a CARES harness (which is FAA approved from 1 year and 20lb), and Continental was one of the first US airlines to approve the use of this device. We have used for 2 1/2 years with our son already, so we are very experienced in how to use it.

My concern is that i bring my Canadian certified car seat to the airport (car is parked at a park and fly hotel 15 minutes away) and then all of sudden they don't let me use it, and we are stuck caring this car seat for the 3 other flights, and have a child on our lap for take off/landing etc.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A Canadian certified seat should be okay. Canadian and EU and UN approved seats are all okay, according to that circular that I keep forgetting to save the link to.

The CARES harness is great for older kids but I really doubt the comfort (not the safety but the comfort) of a one year old in one.

hipmaman

i wonder (and not questioning your answer at all) if the rules differ by airline/country. We are flying with Continental SEA - MHH (in the bahamas) and when i researched the web site i found this line
"Infant Seating
Children unable to sit upright with the seat belt fastened must be carried in an FAA approved infant seat if not being held by an adult. "

I read this statement as if the infant not being help by an adult (ie. not a lap-baby), must be in an FAA approved seat. Since it's an US airline, it's understandable that FAA is required.

But the 2nd paragraph in this link says CMVSS 213 and 213.1 seats are aircraft-certified. You might want this print out should there is the question if your Canadian seat is aircraft-certified or not. http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/commerce/CabinSafety/tips/faq2.htm

bubbaray

The problem BCSymes *may* encounter, though, is that they are Canadians, with Canadian seats, departing on a US carrier from a US airport for a non-Canadian destination. So, AFAIK, the US carrier d/n *have* to let them use the Canadian seat, KWIM? I've heard of some Canadian parents being allowed to use Canadian seats in similar circumstances (or on US carriers on domestic US flights), but others have had problems.

I think the CARES harness would be less likely to be a problem in that circumstance than a Canadian-spec'd vehicle restraint. But, it really depends on the FA and their mood.

I had some issues using my Canadian RN on a flight between Buffalo and Orlando last year. The FA didn't want to let me use the seat because it didn't have the FAA approval sticker. She eventually asked the pilot (or first officer, I'm not sure which) and he agreed to let me use it with the Canadian sticker. Since then, I've travelled with a sticky marker on the page that says that the seat is approved for motor vehicle and aircraft use. If the FA stops me as I'm boarding, I tell her that the seat is Canadian, so it won't have the sticker she is looking for, and open the manual to the stickied page. I've always been sent on my way without any further question as soon as the FA sees the statement that the seat is approved for aircraft use. We've taken the seats on at least 12 flights within the US without any hassles whatsoever, once I learned the trick of being preemptive with the information. Several times the FA has thanked me for being prepared with the info needed.

Last edited:

BCsymmes

Thank you all for your feedback , it's really helpful.

For clarification, our daughter will be 22/23 months old at the time we travel, at present is 24lb and i think 32/33" tall, so a tall and skinny girl for her age. My son was a small guy for his age, and when he travelled after his 2nd bday, he used his CARES, and was measuring smaller then what she is currently at, and had issues with the CARES, both for fit and comfort.

I would never think to to have her sit with just a Lap belt, It would be the CARES or her seat. I am very very hesitant to bring our Radian, as it's a beast to carry (we have 4 flights in each direction, with LONG 20+ minute walks between terminals), and will be in the bahamas for an extended stay (no need for the seat, we only use golf carts or boats). The humidity is horrible there, everything that is not treated rust very very quickly and i really don't want to see rust develop on the frame (yep, Some of my son's toys have developed rust overnight.) I Believe the frame is staineless steel, but i am still worried

Our back up seat (for my DS on day care days), and our second choice if we can not use the CARES for her, is an Evenflo Traditions Plus Harness Booster Car Seat that we bought from Sears (canada) in the late spring 2007. this would be a perfect to bring, and has the canadian CMVSS 213. sticker on the side (and i would be sure to bring the bring out, that is a great link) . I have read in the past that some cranky FA will NOT allow combinations seats , even though she would be in the 5 point harness. AHHHHH so stressful, and we don't even leave for another 7 weeks.

better to get this all sorted out now then at the airport in Seattle at 9:30 at night.

bubbaray

Our back up seat (for my DS on day care days), and our second choice if we can not use the CARES for her, is an Evenflo Traditions Plus Harness Booster Car Seat that we bought from Sears (canada) in the late spring 2007. this would be a perfect to bring, and has the canadian CMVSS 213. sticker on the side (and i would be sure to bring the bring out, that is a great link) . I have read in the past that some cranky FA will NOT allow combinations seats , even though she would be in the 5 point harness.

I checked on the Evenflo combination seats as I have a similar travel issue myself. Evenflo's website says that the Canadian combination seats (Chase/Vision/Generations/Traditions) are NOT certified for use on aircraft. If your manual says otherwise, you might be in luck (I have to find/check my manual).

I wouldn't take the RN given your connections. What about a Scenara? I don't think I'd use a CARES harness for your DD either -- can she sleep in it??

FWIW, we are travelling to Maui in the new year. My DD#2 is around the same age/size as your DD and we will be taking her MA on board the airplane and using it in our rental when we get to Maui. FFg on the plane, RFg in the rental. I'm still stuck on what to do for DD#1 (4.75yrs old, just hovering at/under 40lbs). I am NOT bringing a seat nor a CARES harness for her on the flight as I'm find with her using the lap-only belt (plus she will be sitting with DH and DD#2 in a 3-across configuration, so can't do 2 child restraints together on WestJet). I got flamed on another thread here for not using a restraint on the plane for my DD#1, but the physics of a plane crash is completely different and I'm very comfortable not using one for her. I'm trying to figure out whether to use a HBB for her in the rental or bring one of our existing seats for her. So far, I'm leaning towards her daycare Evenflo Vision seat -- its lightweight and somewhat easy to install. Plus, I wouldn't really care too much if WestJet trashes it as she's nearly out of it ....

QuassEE

I stopped using carseats on the plane at around age 2 or 3 for my kids. Again--crash dynamics are completely different, and you want to restrain against turbulance for the most part. I don't see that as flame-worthy, but have at it if you wish :) If CARES had existed back then, I would've used it...but honestly, dragging two kids on a plane alone, my oldest got shafted. :) I was never comfortable gate checking our seats, so I made sure I had seats waiting at our destination.

As for the US carriers--FAA regs actually permit US seats certified for aircraft AND foreign certified (for aircraft) seats.. so as long as you can prove that the seat is certified by a foreign certifying body, they cannot refuse to allow you to use the restraint. The problem here is trying to prove that our Canadian CMVSS certified seats are, by default, certified if no sticker exists.. :)

-Nicole.

BCsymmes

I think after the holidays i need to have a long conversation with Continental when after the holidays. It sooo confusing.

As for Sleeping, DS #1 never had a problem (he just leaned on us) so hopefully she will be the same with us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC