side impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yogamom

Hello all,

I am looking for a little help regarding side impact protection. As I understand it US seat manufacturers do not have requirements for side impact collisions, but in Europe they do. I read in an article that by the end of this year there should be some regulation put in place, could anybody tell me whether this has happened? It seems as though it is an important subject since side impacts apparently account for 25% of accidents.

I've read many reviews on seats and even the upper end britax models which claim "True side impact protection" don't seem to have any INDEPENDENT method of testing:mad:, and it seems more like a marketing ploy than a way of keeping kids safe. I'd be interested to know if there is a public record (possibly by insurance companies) of car seats involved in accidents and what if any (hopefully none:)) injuries resulted.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Nope - there are currently no regulations for testing carseats for side-impact in the U.S. There is some testing being done - an Evenflo infant seat was recalled last year for poor performance in a side-impact test, but I'm not sure what standards they were using.

As far as I know, no one's keeping records of injuries/fatalities related to specific carseats (regardless of the type of crash), except perhaps some manufacturers, and they don't share those results with the public.

I would think that with the U.S. coming out with regulations and standards for testing, manufacturers who claim "side-impact protection" would be doing more than just slapping that label on their seats - otherwise they're going to wind up with egg on their faces if their seats don't meet the standards once they're in place. But you're correct - we really have no way of knowing for sure how much "side-impact protection" a seat really has; we just have to take the manufacturer's word for it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
we just have to take the manufacturer's word for it.

Yep. However, the testing @ OEAMTC (Austrian carseat crash testing) does show that seats with the deepest head wings tend to generally perform the best in side impact. So, I personally trust those manufacturers whose seats in the US have equivalent versions tested by OEAMTC (such as Britax/Romer, etc.) Their website isn't as user friendly as it once was, IMHO, but the videos speak for themselves.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Nope - there are currently no regulations for testing carseats for side-impact in the U.S. There is some testing being done - an Evenflo infant seat was recalled last year for poor performance in a side-impact test, but I'm not sure what standards they were using.

I don't remember if I read it here, or if it was from talking to someone from SafetyBeltSafe, but I heard that the Evenflo seats were tested in a CAR that was being side-impact tested. In other words, it wasn't a typical car-seat sled test, but rather a side-impact test on a vehicle in which they had also installed the infant seat. (I would also imagine there was more than one test done, but I have no idea, or how many.)

I know that doesn't answer the original question, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't remember if I read it here, or if it was from talking to someone from SafetyBeltSafe, but I heard that the Evenflo seats were tested in a CAR that was being side-impact tested. In other words, it wasn't a typical car-seat sled test, but rather a side-impact test on a vehicle in which they had also installed the infant seat. (I would also imagine there was more than one test done, but I have no idea, or how many.)

I know that doesn't answer the original question, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

Definitely an interesting tidbit. I know that the Evenflo marketing tags say that it's Evenflo side impact testing standards or something to that effect. Which I might otherwise poo-poo except for Britax also has their own standards. In fact so far as I know, Recaro is the only one to state that their seats meet EU SIP standards. I know the True Fit has some sort of side impact testing done on it, but I'm not sure exactly what. It has such a deep shell that I do believe it has loads of side impact protection from that aspect alone, but obviously I can't vouch beyond that.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think the side impact testing standards they are putting in place are for cars, not carseats. I'm assuming after they get those standards in stone, we'll have more seats tested to those levels and it will mean more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC