Saw a weird car seat today.....

MustangMama

It was a Graco Safe Seat 1. It was at the local thrift store this morning. I saw it from afar and it was NICE! I was wondering why a car seat so nice would be at the thrift store. As I inched closer, I noticed that the harness straps were chopped up with scissors.

The only thing I can think of is that someone cut the straps to let people know that it is no good......IDK.

Does anybody have any other good explanation as to why a car seat would have cut straps?

ADS

MustangMama

Well, yeah. That is what I meant when I said "no good".

But yeah, maybe they were chopped off of the child from the rescue personnel. IDK

oursonend

Ghah, thrift stores can be so bad about selling things that shouldn't be sold. Did you tell them that it's unsafe to be used and should be disposed of?

MustangMama

Hmmmmm that's a great idea to buy it for the cover. :thumbsup: Didn't even think about that!!

It was SEVEN DOLLARS!!!!

And I did tell them that something was fishy about it. I told them it was probably in an accident (that was the only thing I could think of). I am going to go back here in a bit and buy it for the cover.

We will see if they listened to me about tossing the car seat...:whistle:

I doubt it though. The last thrift store that I recommended they throw out FIVE EXPIRED SEATS gave me the look of death.....grrrr.

I will let you guys know.

Anybody interested in the cover if it is still there?

It is mainly brown with some tan and brown swirlys on it from what I can remember. Good for boy or girl.

itzmeigh

WHat about if you suggest to them (And to other thrift shops) that instead of scrapping the whole seat that they pull the covers and just sell the covers.

They could EASILY get more then $7 for the cover. I'd happily pay $15 for a cover where I wouldn't pay squat for a seat.

Same can even be said about Sceneara. There have been times where I'd pay up to $10 for a new Scenera cover.

That way you aren't making them "loose" money by tossing out the seat but giving them a better way to make more money.

Same idea could work when contacting people on Craigs list. Maybe instead of just saying "get rid of the seat" we could start suggesting that instead of trying to sell the seat that they just sell the cover.

Be sure to mention that they need to mark on the bag/tag what seat the cover comes off of.

MustangMama

Brown with tan swirlys??? It actually sounds like one of the nicer ones, does it have the canopy too?

Yes it has a canopy too. It is in excellent condition. I just need to wash it, it has some dirt on it. :)

It is brown with tan accents. I said it looked like "swirlys" but now that I have it (YES THEY DID NOT LISTEN TO ME!! GRRRRR) it looks more like a paisley pattern kind of. Still would work for either a boy or a girl.

I am uploading pics now......

The first one is how they cut the harness. I pulled it out with one hand...:eek:

Last edited:

xxluckychicxx

Yes it has a canopy too. It is in excellent condition. I just need to wash it, it has some dirt on it. :)

It is brown with tan accents. I said it looked like "swirlys" but now that I have it (YES THEY DID NOT LISTEN TO ME!! GRRRRR) it looks more like a paisley pattern kind of. Still would work for either a boy or a girl.

I am uploading pics now......

The first one is how they cut the harness. I pulled it out with one hand...:eek:

OMG I want it! I would pay for it too........

MustangMama

I WANT IT TOO!!! Buuuuut I have no need for it.

PM me with your offers and I will pick whomever can give me the best offer. I don't know another fair way to do it. :shrug-shoulders:

How much do you think it would cost to ship?

I am still bummed they didn't listen about tossing the seat :(

That was a great idea to suggest selling the covers only.

But, as deaf as they have been to my educated mouth, I don't think they will ever listen.

It should be against the law to sell expired car seats and they should BE FINED. We fine people for selling alcohol to minors, why not fine bad car seats? It's not that hard to read an expiration date. GRRRRR

MustangMama

OMG DH just suggested the funniest thing!

I asked him why he thinks the straps are cut out and he said "Maybe it was some idiot that couldn't get his kid out" in those exact words! I was LMAO!!

He is too funny!!! :ROTFLMAO:

Anyways......it is in pieces now headed to the trash can and the washing machine.

xxluckychicxx

I WANT IT TOO!!! Buuuuut I have no need for it.

PM me with your offers and I will pick whomever can give me the best offer. I don't know another fair way to do it. :shrug-shoulders:

How much do you think it would cost to ship?

I am still bummed they didn't listen about tossing the seat :(

That was a great idea to suggest selling the covers only.

But, as deaf as they have been to my educated mouth, I don't think they will ever listen.

It should be against the law to sell expired car seats and they should BE FINED. We fine people for selling alcohol to minors, why not fine bad car seats? It's not that hard to read an expiration date. GRRRRR

I guess I will pass :eek:

MustangMama

Decided not to sell it just yet. Thanks for the suggestions guys about asking them to sell covers only. I think this is what I will do :)

I will definitely keep my eyes open for other car seats that have usable covers. Car seats here at the thrift store go for anywhere from $2.98 (totally worth a new cover!!) to $14.98 at the most. A lot of them are expired but sometimes they have BRAND NEW ones still in packaging.

Twinklefae

Umm, I actually know someone who did this to a Graco carseat. You know how one model (I'm not up on all the names) has two settings and a lot of people can't figure out how to switch them when they get tight? She cut them, just like that, and TIED THEM IN A KNOT under the buckle. We had a chat, and she doesn't do that anymore.

capeKO71

I know the police/fire near us will automatically cut the harness straps off carseats involved in accidents. They either do it on site if the child was taken out of the carseat, or at the hospital when the child is removed from the seat.

so my guess is, someone nabbed a bad seat that was in a "throw it out" pile.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC