How do you deal with sledding apparel?

Evolily

So if you were taking your child sledding, how would you do it? Would you let your child ride with the snow pants on? We're driving in a small car, it's impossible to get dressed in the car beyond just slipping on a coat. There isn't anywhere to get dressed at the sledding hill. My thought is that compression is a primary concern with the upper body, and that wearing snow pants would be the equivalent of wearing a really poofy diaper.

Thoughts?

ADS

christineka

This is why I haven't taken my kids sledding. I don't want to walk and neither do I want to deal with wet and poofy snow clothing in my car seats either.

BW1426

E wears her snowpants to school every morning and home from school every afternoon. So, needless to say, I don't really fret about snowpants. She just puts her coat on when we get out of the car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What everyone said. The other option is to have enough warm layers on underneath and then open the door and have the child step out of the car and into the snow pants and boots as he gets out (I used to do that as a child, but for a different reason-- it was about 70 degrees down where we lived vs. 30 where we were going, and I would have been sweltering driving all the way up there in my snow pants and boots!)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
When I was a teenager and went xc skiing every weekend, I would wear my fleece pants in the car to the destination, then get there and put on my waterproof ski pants and boots. We do the same thing with the kids--they wear their fleece pants and when we get there we just put the waterproof pants on over.

We just went sledding...
Michael has just snow pants(not the bibs kind) so I put him in those and Logan has the bibs type. I just had logan step into his snow bibs after he got out of his carseat.

bubbaray

Same way we deal with taking them skiing. They wear turtlenecks and fleece jacket, and long underwear bottoms, with ski socks and snow boots. Hats. Try to warm up the car first. Take ski jackets and bibs in the car and they put them on at the destination. Take them off at the destination for the trip home. If it is super cold, I might leave the bibs on at the hill and pull them down to their waist or lower so they aren't around where the harness is.

leighi123

We walk to the sledding hill. :)

I got Levi a poncho, so usually I just put him in regular clothes (a t-shirt, fleece sweatshirt, long pants with babylegs underneith to make them wamer), and the poncho on top, then and add the puffy stuff once we get where we are going.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC